This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• This guy.

Ah, Chris Farley in his SNL Motivational Speaker sketch.

My high school had the unfortunate timing of scheduling a motivational speaker to speak to the senior class the Monday after this sketch first appeared on SNL. I couldn't even count the number of times the poor guy was peppered with "living... in a van... down by the river!" comments.
  • Not quite happy with my current position, so I'm applying to two jobs that just opened up: R&D lab manager at my current job, or Product Manager at Blip.tv (where I have an in). Both very cool in different ways, with one having the perk of bringing me into the city. Here's hoping I land one.
  • My new roommate seems pretty cool!
  • Got a load of smoked salmon for £5 and promptly ate it all with my girlfriend. Whilst pretending to be bears. This is a pretty good way to send an evening.
  • Not quite happy with my current position, so I'm applying to two jobs that just opened up: R&D lab manager at my current job, or Product Manager at Blip.tv (where I have an in). Both very cool in different ways, with one having the perk of bringing me into the city. Here's hoping I land one.
    Woot. Phone interview went great. On to the in-person interview next Friday (the prod mgr job).

• Huzza sounds good!
  • Excellent! Good luck with the rest of it.
  • Excellent! Good luck with the rest of it.
  • edited January 2013
    I read my first Japanese name! 山本由美 if you're curious.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Applying for a job as an apprentice brewmaster at a friend's new craft brewery. Cross your fingers for me, guys.
  • Ask your friend's opinion on Simcoe.
  • edited January 2013
    I haz a fan! This is a tumblr post of a fan reblogging to my account of meeting her at Anime LA!

When the hell did I become important enough to have fans?!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Beat my first lair assault playing a barbarian named MARK NUTT. (yes his name WAS in all caps)
  • Got a two-fer for today:

1. One of the classes I taught at this past MIT Splash (a program where college students volunteer to teach a class of their own design to middle/high school students) was apparently awesome enough, that the people behind the program contacted me to participate in an event where Splash teachers come back to MIT and teach their classes to MIT students. Apparently I'm good enough to teach at MIT. Coolio.

2. Looking for a second IT co-op, my #1 is/has been the junior Linux sysadmin at MIT's Lincoln Labs. Pays well, fun job, really good experience in my field of interest. I talk to my friend Chris who had the co-op this past year, and we discuss my qualifications. Apparently I'm 100% absolutely qualified (and I haven't even finished all the classes w. relevant material), I have a stellar GPA for their applicant base, and Chris plans on contacting them about me as soon as I put in my application. According to him that's essentially a done deal. I'm not stupid enough to not apply elsewhere, but I'm pretty dang happy with my prospects right now. :D
  • Good work broseph! 'Dose co-op feels, had 'em when I accepted another summer working for idTech. Good times. Now if only company for spring would respond to my application/email, we'd be going somewhere.
  • 2. Looking for a second IT co-op, my #1 is/has been the junior Linux sysadmin at MIT's Lincoln Labs. Pays well, fun job, really good experience in my field of interest. I talk to my friend Chris who had the co-op this past year, and we discuss my qualifications. Apparently I'm 100% absolutely qualified (and I haven't even finished all the classes w. relevant material), I have a stellar GPA for their applicant base, and Chris plans on contacting them about me as soon as I put in my application. According to him that's essentially a done deal. I'm not stupid enough to not apply elsewhere, but I'm pretty dang happy with my prospects right now. :D
    I'm (well technically my dad is) good friends with one of their research scientists - they're pretty damn cool.
  • I think I might be "making it" as a freelancer. I've tried a few times in the past, but always had to get a full-time development job after a month or two. Now I have a few good clients and I'm working about 30 hours per week, but at much higher pay than if I was an employee somewhere.
  • Awesome, dude!
  • I haz a fan! This is a tumblr post of a fan reblogging to my account of meeting her at Anime LA!

Fun fact: Her hair wasn't like that until she saw you.

• You mean blonde?
  • Her hairrection
  • How do you even come up with this stuff?
  • I haz a fan! This is a tumblr post of a fan reblogging to my account of meeting her at Anime LA!

Tip: next time you have a fan take a photo with you (and if you are awesome there will be a next time) put your arm around his/her shoulders.

• How do you even come up with this stuff?
    Well, she does look rather horny.

• Job interview next week with the FAA. I applied ages ago. I didn't think I was ever going to get a call back.

Tip: next time you have a fan take a photo with you (and if you are awesome there will be a next time) put your arm around his/her shoulders.
    Legitimately curious - About how often do you get fans wanting to take photos with you, Luke?
  • Legitimately curious - About how often do you get fans wanting to take photos with you, Luke?
    Pretty often. At big juggling conventions it happens a bit, but at most events like that there is a very relaxed attitude about that kind of thing. The more famous jugglers are there to have fun, just like everyone else, and there are no VIP areas or other way to separate anyone. Everyone is more equal.

If I'm the main guest at a smaller convention, lots of people want photos. More so in America than Europe.

While it isn't a bigger number, the most likely people to ask for a photo are those I meet while traveling, but not at a juggling event or meeting. For example, a few weeks ago in Italy a guy recognized me, and wanted a photo. These people are usually a bit more disconnected from the festival, convention or club scene, and know jugglers only through the internet. They think it is a privilege to meet me, not knowing that if they turn up to any big event, loads of famous jugglers will be there, and all are totally approachable. The only privilege is that I meet them where they are, so they get exclusive access while I'm around.

Finally, while working on cruise ships or at street show festivals, very often people want a photo with me after the show. I'm not a famous juggler to these people, they just want a memory of the show or vacation.

In total, probably about 100 photos in total in 2012, with about half of them with "already fans" and half with "new fans". That's a very rough estimate though, as I don't keep track.
  • I get to watch the Life of Brain for uni. Thats pretty sweet.
  • Job interview next week with the FAA. I applied ages ago. I didn't think I was ever going to get a call back.
    Wooooo go Ro!

• Not quite my own Booyah, but nobody else will be able to tell it, for reasons that will become obvious - a mate of mine just sent me a text saying "Hey, you listen to a lot of podcasts, don't you?" and when I responded in the affirmative, they said "Well, if you're looking for something to listen to, you should check out this show called Atomic Trivia War 9000, it's really good, I think you'd like it."