This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• I spent my 21st working. Had a drink of Rum at home to commemorate.
  • Potential Boo-Yah: There is a chance from some sort of executive order that non-essential staff will get the 24th off with pay.

Here's to hoping for a nice long holiday weekend.
  • edited December 2012
    Potential Boo-Yah: There is a chance from some sort of executive order that non-essential staff will get the 24th off with pay.

Here's to hoping for a nice long holiday weekend.
    Is there a tradition of that happening, or do most federal employees work on the 24th? Or do you usually get the day off without pay?
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited December 2012
    We are required to work on any day that is not a weekend or scheduled holiday, but got the email :
    Executive Order-- Closing of Executive Departments and Agencies of the Federal Government on Monday, December 24, 2012

EXECUTIVE ORDER

- - - - - - -

CLOSING OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ON MONDAY, DECEMBER 24, 2012

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. All executive branch departments and agencies of the Federal Government shall be closed and their employees excused from duty on Monday, December 24, 2012, the day before Christmas Day, except as provided in section 2 of this order.

Sec. 2. The heads of executive branch departments and agencies may determine that certain offices and installations of their organizations, or parts thereof, must remain open and that certain employees must report for duty on December 24, 2012, for reasons of national security, defense, or other public need.

Sec. 3. Monday, December 24, 2012, shall be considered as falling within the scope of Executive Order 11582 of February 11, 1971, and of 5 U.S.C. 5546 and 6103(b) and other similar statutes insofar as they relate to the pay and leave of employees of the United States.

Sec. 4. The Director of the Office of Personnel Management shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement this order.

Sec. 5. General Provisions. (a) This order shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(b) Nothing in this order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency, or the head thereof; or

(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(c) This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

BARACK OBAMA
    YEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!

But yes, there has been a decent tradition that if there is a day of work around a holiday we get the fully off or half the day per the POTUS.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I saw a petition for that while looking for stupid on We the People and signed it. As a result, I got that e-mail too. It seemed to me like the scene from Christmas Carol where Bob Cratchet asks Scrooge for the day off.
  • Say what you will about Gamestop, I just got a 3DS bundle for $98 thanks to trade-ins.
  • Just now, I got off the phone with a close friend of mine who made me an offer that was too good to pass up.

He is moving into a new apartment very soon and he offered me a chance to become his roommate along with another close friend of mine. To anyone who doesn't know my living situation, I am currently living with my parents in their house (not by choice, mostly through circumstance since I am currently looking for a part-time job to juggle along with school. I'm getting close to a job that may pay off, but that is beside the point). I ecstatically accepted and he said that the deal is on and he plans to move into the new place around summertime.

Yeah...so...I think that is a pretty big win in my book.
  • Finished putting together my new Ikea wardrobe after my brother-in-law and his brother left me hanging yesterday. Fucking piece of work that was.
  • Skipped ALL the traffic delays on the Jersey TP because technology. And I knew an alternate route. Take that, Exits 8A - 7A!
  • Got a free wardrobe yesterday that I plan to convert to another book self. Its in pretty good condition considering it was out on the street, just needs some WD40 on the rails then jobs a goodun.
  • edited January 2013
    Aced Microbio. Aced Cell & Membrane Physiology Lab, in which every lab took five hours and every lab report was due in the form of a researched and cited journal paper. GPA holding steady at 3.4. Aced Global Biosecurity. Missed the A range for my cell culture lab by 10pts.

I'M GOING TO BE A PROFESSIONAL MOTHERFUCKING SCIENTIST, WHAT THE FUCK NOW
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'M GOING TO BE A PROFESSIONAL MOTHERFUCKING SCIENTIST, WHAT THE FUCK NOW
    Insomnia and debt?
  • Aced Microbio. Aced Cell & Membrane Physiology Lab, in which every lab took five hours and every lab report was due in the form of a researched and cited journal paper. GPA holding steady at 3.4. Aced Global Biosecurity. Missed the A range for my cell culture lab by 10pts.

Good scotch?
  • Aced Microbio. Aced Cell & Membrane Physiology Lab, in which every lab took five hours and every lab report was due in the form of a researched and cited journal paper. GPA holding steady at 3.4. Aced Global Biosecurity. Missed the A range for my cell culture lab by 10pts.

Unemployability in a felid relevant to your degree if the US is anything like the UK.
  • edited January 2013
    First screenshot of the indie game I've been working on with a few buddies.

Our indieDB page (website under construction)
    Early days still but things are coming together nicely.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Soundtrack by CHRIStFUCK?
  • edited January 2013
    Soundtrack by the guy who does the "music" for CHRIStFUCK, actually. He actually does some pretty great industrial when we aren't screaming profanity into a microphone.

The game is basically a combination nostalgia trip through the gameplay of Quake/Doom/Blood/Unreal style shooters with some rogue-like elements (one life only, random level layouts, simple character progression), Borderlands 2 style random weapon gens, some pretty cool music integration inspired by Hotline Miami, and character design lifted from Rob Liefeld. The goal is to see how far you can get, pushing the top score and kill counter for a global scoreboard, before some muscled goon punts your ass into your helmet and you get dumped back to start. It also has 4 player co-op and deathmatch.

Also we have guns that shoot bees.
  • Also we have guns that shoot bees.
    You know, you have a knack for selling your shit pretty well.

• Guns that shoot bees sells itself.
  • This game sounds friggin' sweet. I never new that I've always wanted a Quake-style roguelike.
  • Also we have guns that shoot bees.
    That reminds me of Insomniac Games, which is a good thing. I am interested.
  • Sounds radtastic.
  • edited January 2013
    Insomnia and debt?
    Unemployability in a felid relevant to your degree if the US is anything like the UK.
    1) Y'ALL CAN SUCK MY MAGNIFICENT PhDICK~
    2) WHO THE FUCK WANTS TO BE EMPLOYED IN THE BELLY OF A FUCKIN LION, AMP? GETCHO MIND RIGHT.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • 2) WHO THE FUCK WANTS TO BE EMPLOYED IN THE BELLY OF A FUCKIN LION, AMP? GETCHO MIND RIGHT.
    Seconded.
  • edited January 2013
    PhDick is probably my favourite thing. Not only is it hilarious, but it could also be a great television show about a private detective overqualified for the position.

"This week on PhDick, our hero follows a string of clues that, seriously, a six year old could figure out, and wishes more professors would commit crimes."
  • AmpAmp
    edited January 2013
    1) Y'ALL CAN SUCK MY MAGNIFICENT PhDICK~
    2) WHO THE FUCK WANTS TO BE EMPLOYED IN THE BELLY OF A FUCKIN LION, AMP? GETCHO MIND RIGHT.
    Curse you spell check! Also I would love to work in the belly of the lion. Jojo's is a perfect example of what British people get up to, lurk in an animals belly then jump out! Thats how we roll dog!

Also on a more serious note, do you have to do an MSC before going on to a PHD or do you do the equivalent where if you fail the PHD you get an MSC? I ask as the other half is going through her Masters at the moment and want to compare the two.
    Guns that shoot bees sells itself.
    When is this out! I need my Bee gun fix, all other atempts have failed, badly.

Edit; I have also really gotten into Scandal, the J-pop band, and see nothing wrong with this.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • edited January 2013
    Guns that shoot bees sells itself.
    When is this out! I need my Bee gun fix, all other atempts have failed, badly.
    We are aiming for before the end of the year at the latest. We've never done something like this, though, so we have no idea how fast progress will occur.

Seriously though, bee shotguns!
  • I am so sold on this!
  • edited January 2013
    On the island, chillin'. Strongly considering watching the sun come up on the beach in a little while. listening to triple J(also, the J's are going pretty strong thismorning), laying in the back of my van, smoking my pipe and sipping some good coffee. Yes, the van has tea and coffee making facilities. What do you think I am, some kind of barbarian?
    Post edited by Churba on