This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Work permit get.
  • Finished scheduling Anime Boston panels.
  • My advisor wants to show off my research when he travels next week.
  • Andrew said:

My advisor wants to show off my research when he travels next week.

Forgive my cynicism (maybe I've read too many PhD comics), but what I read was "my advisor wants to show off my work as his own when he travels next week."
  • Ordered a record from a dude online. He included a second record for free. The second record is so obscure, it's not on Discogs. And it's a promo copy. And it's unscratched.

Unfortunately, it's so loud that I can't digitize it in any reasonable quality (turned mic sensitivity down to .1 and it was still so loud it was distorted and unlistenable), but whatever, it was free.
  • My kid had his first birthday yesterday.
  • Greg said:

Ordered a record from a dude online. He included a second record for free. The second record is so obscure, it's not on Discogs. And it's a promo copy. And it's unscratched.

Unfortunately, it's so loud that I can't digitize it in any reasonable quality (turned mic sensitivity down to .1 and it was still so loud it was distorted and unlistenable), but whatever, it was free.

You are doing SOMETHING wrong. Records need a metric crap ton of amplification to be even listenable. Send me a diagram or a picture of your setup and I'll tell you how to fix it.

• edited March 2014

Greg said:

Ordered a record from a dude online. He included a second record for free. The second record is so obscure, it's not on Discogs. And it's a promo copy. And it's unscratched.

You are doing SOMETHING wrong. Records need a metric crap ton of amplification to be even listenable. Send me a diagram or a picture of your setup and I'll tell you how to fix it.

It's an ION iTT USB turntable. I don't see the need for a diagram or picture, since it plugs right into my computer.

EDIT: I'm having the same trouble with other records, now, so any help you could offer would be very much appreciated.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Greg said:

Greg said:

It's an ION iTT USB turntable. I don't see the need for a diagram or picture, since it plugs right into my computer.

EDIT: I'm having the same trouble with other records, now, so any help you could offer would be very much appreciated.
    I would say "well, there's your problem right there", but those usually work fairly reliably as far as I know (even though I would never buy one). Please consult your turntable's user guide or call their customer support line for assistance.
  • Man, I don't often brag, but it's awesome having a wife who is big in food television. Had one of the best meals of my life yesterday, was expecting to pay a massive bill, and then the chef comes out and comps it.

After that, I took her to Heathers: The Musical which was amazing. We're suckers for musical comedy parodies. Toxic Avenger and Silence of the Lambs were great but this one was the best by far. The music and performances were legit good on there own even without the humor.
  • Matt said:

Man, I don't often brag, but it's awesome having a wife who is big in food television. Had one of the best meals of my life yesterday, was expecting to pay a massive bill, and then the chef comes out and comps it.

That's how my parents are, their class mates are general managers or head chefs at 5 star hotels and restaurants around the world so when we would go on holidays they would randomly find that our charges were wiped or given an upgrade and would find alumni in the restaurant or the managerial side.
  • Look what I found in the city I'm moving to for uni next year :) http://www.ibgcafe.com/
  • What did you get?
  • What did you get?

A car, obviously.

• Rym said:

What did you get?

A car, obviously.
  • A white car.
  • It's a Renault Clio:

It's a very silly car.
  • I would drive it.
  • It has a silly function that plays different engine sounds as you drive, to make it feel more sporty inside, or else the engine sounds too quiet. It has some vintage car sounds, some V6 sound, a motor bike, and futuristic hover car sound. I quite liked it.
  • I actually drove one of those two weeks ago. They are quite nice. Dealership lent it to me over the weekend since I am buying a Dacia Sandero and the two cars have the same engine in it (Dealership did not have a Sandero available for test drive).
  • edited April 2014
    chaosof99 said:

I am buying a Dacia Sandero

chaosof99 said:

buying a Dacia Sandero

chaosof99 said:

Dacia Sandero

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Rym said:

I would drive it.

Yeah man, they're pretty nice. I wouldn't pick one to buy as my personal vehicle, but that's merely a matter of taste, I still think they're pretty great.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2014
    Very exciting news for anyone who is a huge fan of Raina Telegemeier, such as myself and @gomidog‌

For those who don't know, Telgemeier is the amazing genius behind the brilliant graphic novels Smile (which has been on the New York Times' Top 10 Best Selling Graphic Novels list for 4 years straight) and Drama (which is my favorite graphic novel of all time, straight up).

She has announced that her newest book, Sisters, will be coming out this August and is a companion piece to Smile. I'll let her explain the rest herself.

Post edited by Geo on
  • edited April 2014

Videos

Weird. They say "Day-see-uh" while here we pronounce it "Dutch-e-uh". Not sure which is correct. According to wikipedia I am correct.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I don't know the engine size or any other specs of the Clio. That kind of detail means nothing to me. I just like the fact it has a camera at the back and a screen inside that shows blue lines where I'm going to go when reversing. Plus many other silly features.
  • I don't know the engine size or any other specs of the Clio. That kind of detail means nothing to me. I just like the fact it has a camera at the back and a screen inside that shows blue lines where I'm going to go when reversing. Plus many other silly features.

Doesn't matter, neither do I - I could guess, but I don't really know. If I wanted to know for sure, wikipedia exists. From driving it, I think it's a nice little car, even if it's not my style.

Really, In this case(and most others) if you like the car, then that's what matters.
  • More to the point, if my girlfriend likes the car, then that's what matters.