This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I have an A in the class I'm in and I haven't been paying attention on a day to day basis for weeks!

Extra boo-yah: I typically suck at math! Taking physics my last year of high school really paid off.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I made crepes and they were delicious.

Extra Boo-yah: I annoyed Nine with my tales of tasty pancakes.
  • I want to learn how to cook tofu, my diet could stand to have less fatty things in it. Anyone have any good recipes?
    I always just cube it up and sautee it with some garlic and onions, for stir fries and curries and whatnot. I've been meaning to learn how to do the deep-fried kind that you get in Chinese restaurants. Unfortunately, just about all the good ways of preparing tofu involve frying, so I don't know if that'll be much help in de-fatting your diet.
  • So, a few weeks ago, I gave a lecture to two groups of microbiology students from The College of Saint Rose in Albany. I've done this lecture every year for the past two years or so. In short, I explain what we do in terms of food pathogen testing, and I usually explain it as a case study, using a contaminated sample as the subject. I explain everything from sample collection and testing to molecular subtyping and cluster detection. I generally explain it as "forensic" microbiology, because it sounds sexier that way.

We just got a page full of feedback from the students, and just to stroke my ego, I'd like to quote several of them.
    My favorite part of the food safety lab was the "forensic" microbiology section. It was interesting to hear about the various recalls and the current cases they are working on now. I also liked how it showed the real life application of what we do in class.
    My favorite part of the food lab was looking at the pathogenic microbes. It was very interesting to see how a bacteria that's not very harmful could look the same as a dangerous one after going through one type of test, and that another test was necessary to tell them apart.
    My favorite part about our field trip was learning about L. mono. I am fascinated by pathogenic microbes, hence my interest in your class next semester. I before this experience had never heard of L. mono and I learned a lot about it. It was also really cool to see how everything works in a real lab and all of the cool things they process and do there.
    I liked the pathogen section of the lab. I find that stuff incredibly interesting and loved the stories that were told to us.
    I'm pretty much amazing.
  • edited November 2009
    I have officially been accepted into the Information Technology program at RIT! I take off in the fall of 2010.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Congrats! I hope you have scholarships!
  • Congrats! I hope you have scholarships!
    According to my submitted SAT scores, I'm eligible for the presidential scholarship at RIT, and I'm pretty damn sure that I'm getting some need-based scholarships. We certainly need all the help we can get.
  • As of today, I am officially back working for my original group again. Just so you know, when I was first hired, I worked for my original group for about three months before I was loaned to another group, where I have been the last six months or so. Despite being in this other group for twice a long, I still got more done in those first three months than I have since, mostly due to this group being horribly managed and the software being architected by idiots. Needless to say, I'm very happy to be working on a much better set of software again.
  • I have officially been accepted into the Information Technology program at RIT! I take off in the fall of 2010.
    Awesome! I assume that by "I take off" you mean that RIT was your top-choice? That makes, what, 3 or 4 forumgoers currently at RIT?
  • I have officially been accepted into the Information Technology program at RIT! I take off in the fall of 2010.
    Awesome! I assume that by "I take off" you mean that RIT was your top-choice? That makes, what, 3 or 4 forumgoers currently at RIT?
    Indeed, it is/was. It was also the only place I applied to, so this takes a nice amount of stress off my back. Any RIT forumites have tips for what I should bring, what to expect, what to do for the housing contract, etc.?
  • I will hopefully be accepted into the Game Design program soon. I just need to finish revising my essay and I'm done. If I get accepted and make the moneys, then I will be joining you at RIT next year.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2009
    Any RIT forumites have tips for what I should bring, what to expect, what to do for the housing contract, etc.?
    Stay in the dorms. Get onto the all debit meal plan as soon as possible. Eat Sunday brunch at Gracies. Eat breakfast at the SAU cafeteria. Buy jugs of water for your fridge in your dorm (the only tap water would be in the bathrooms). Bring a fast PC, and be ready to play FPSs. Join the anime and gaming clubs. Take Kung Fu on campus at least once. Use the indoor track at the gym. Avoid the deaf dorms. Avoid "study" floors. Bring a car or have a friend with a car. Wander around campus at night, break into conference rooms, and play Battletech in them. Explore building 7 late at night, especially the roof. Make out with art girls. Avoid Computer Science House and fraternities. Buy groceries at Wegmans, and lament it when you leave Rochester. Leave Rochester once you graduate. Live on campus over the summer if they'll let you. Stay on campus during breaks when you can, especially if your friends are also staying. Convince your friends to stay on campus during breaks. Watch movies in the lounges. Play games in public places to meet new people. Find someone who knows what "Vampire Tag" is and play it with them. Spend a lot of time in the quad. Sunbathe on the quarter mile once it's above 60*F outside. Sleep in the library. Break into the auditorium in building 6 and play Wii games on the giant projection screen (the elevator is never locked). Hang out at the UofR arcade, and read their paper.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I see that anything academically related is conspicuously absent ~_^
  • edited November 2009
    You know what? I hate to say it, but I think that Game Design programs (from what I've seen) are not so good for getting a job in the industry. Very rarely will studios hire game designers with no experience. They often either recruit designers from their own stable of programmers/directors/technical people, or they bring someone in from outside who has a number of other games to their name. I've found that it's better to throw yourself into CS or 3DCG, take a handful of game design classes, get hired by a studio based upon your technical/programming/art abilities, and then prove your worth as a game designer rather than becoming the jack of all trades that game design degrees seem to produce. (A little bit of 3D, a little bit of programming, but not a deep appreciation for either.) Wanting to become a designer is a little bit like wanting to become a film director: You start out either doing your own tiny indie projects to prove your worth (get ready for a lot of bedroom coding), or you have to work your way up through the ranks, in which case a more thorough education in computer science may be the way to go.
    Buy groceries at Wegmans, and lament it when you leave Rochester.
    Oh my gosh, I almost cried at the Wegman's when we went there. It had been far, far too long.
    Make out with art girls
    Very yes.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • You know what? I hate to say it, but I think that Game Design programs (from what I've seen) are not so good for getting a job in the industry.
    Not only that, but on average people leave the industry only a few years after getting into it. You're probably going to want skills that can be applied to a larger range of professions.
  • Hmm, interesting. So the teachers there were blatantly lying when they said a lot of studios hire from RIT? Interesting. Not super surprising.
    But I was also going to minor in something, either IT or Creative Writing. IT would probably be better, so then I could get an IT job, and work on programming and game designing skills while there to get hired. Or maybe companies will hire me as a programmer right out of college. Who knows. But I don't expect to actually be designing games right out of college, no. Mostly programming for other people's games. But I'm willing to work my way up.
  • Wanting to become a designer is a little bit like wanting to become a film director:
    Even film directors don't always major in film. Just because it's got a specified name doesn't mean it's always the way to go.
  • Any RIT forumites have tips for what I should bring, what to expect, what to do for the housing contract, etc.?
    Pick a substance-free dorm, unless of course you intend to use substances. Pick the Any-10+ plan for now (unless you think you can lie your way into an all-debit). If you get a chance to go to Movies 10, take it. Second-run movies for $2, before you can steal them in anything resembling high quality. Ask me how to get on the DC++ hub as soon as you get here. Join the official Facebook group for the RIT freshman class as soon as it exists and just start adding people. You'll make at least a couple friends this way, and you haven't even gotten on campus yet.
    I just need to finish revising my essay and I'm done
    My essay was kinda mediocre and I got in, and I know someone who didn't even write an essay who got in. Of course, I'm talking about a girl majoring in electrical engineering who got an almost-perfect score on her SATs, so that kind of explains that. I'm not advising you to half-ass it, just don't stress too much.
  • edited November 2009
    Hmm, interesting. So the teachers there were blatantly lying when they said a lot of studios hire from RIT? Interesting. Not super surprising.
    Well, they may hire a number of people, but I'd be willing to bet they are mostly in Q.A. jobs. Also in there are the people who are talented enough that their programming skill or personal projects stood out enough that they were taken on as a junior developer. What I am saying is that while you might manage to get a job in the industry with a Game Design degree, it will usually not be a developer job. You are not going to be able to call the shots about what the game is like. You are far more likely to be testing levels all day, and being passed over for people who have a better grasp of programming, the people who have learned how to design through experience.

On a related note, what the dream job you are hoping for? If you say you want to be the next Miyamoto, I have some stuff to explain to you.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Wander around campus at night, break into conference rooms, and play Battletech in them.
    Seriously, that was one of the best times we ever had. That and victory hot dogs.
  • Aw, man. Now you guys have me really excited, and there's a year left before I go... :<
  • edited November 2009
    On a related note, what the dream job you are hoping for? If you say you want to be the next Miyamoto, I have some stuff to explain to you.
    I'm expecting to be a programming grunt to start with. Get hired by whatever company I can, basically. I've talked to a few people in the industry who say the best way to get into development from a low level position is to simply stick with it. If you are very good at what you do, then they will notice you. If you have good ideas, then you will be asked for more ideas.
    I know I won't be able to get a purely director-type role. I probably won't be able to call the shots on games for quite a while. I'm okay with that. As long as I have the skills to make them, the games I want to make will get made somehow.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • If you say you want to be the next Miyamoto, I have some stuff to explain to you.
    I'm really curious about this. Want to explain it to the rest of us anyway?
  • If you say you want to be the next Miyamoto, I have some stuff to explain to you.
    I assume that she simply meant that no one should expect to be an immediate success.
    Yeah, it would be cool to know how I could be the next Miyamoto. I always figured that was impossible to do without years of experience and reputation or dumb luck.
  • I assume that she simply meant that no one should expect to be an immediate success.
    Maybe -- I figured it was something to do with the industry just not working that way anymore. Either way, I'm always interested to hear anything Emily has to say about the business of making games.
  • 'm expecting to be a programming grunt to start with. Get hired by whatever company I can, basically. I've talked to a few people in the industry who say the best way to get into development from a low level position is to simply stick with it. If you are very good at what you do, then they will notice you. If you have good ideas, then you will be asked for more ideas.
    I know I won't be able to get a purely director-type role. I probably won't be able to call the shots on games for quite a while. I'm okay with that. As long as I have the skills to make them, the games I want to make will get made somehow.
    Oh, you are wise, then. You already know the stuff I was going to beat you over the head with. Good, good.
    Another thing: Start to learn programming RIGHT NOW. Think of a simple game and use a free engine make a prototype. I started to learn about animation before college, but at college is where I really honed my skills. All my friends I talk to, they get the basics before school. Join mod communities and just DO related stuff, and college will be a lot better for you.
    Maybe -- I figured it was something to do with the industry just not working that way anymore. Either way, I'm always interested to hear anything Emily has to say about the business of making games.
    Partly. One is that at any of the large studios, there is less of an "auteur" method for producing games. Even if you direct, if you head up a big production there will be less name recognition and you will have to do a lot of your work in a committee of many people. I just see too many high school kids on the internet wanting to direct the next epic Final Fantasy type game by themselves straight out of college, and assuming that that is what "Game Designer" means. I wanted to see if he actually did his research into what his job would entail. I just wanted to break his dreams! (Not really. I just wanted to be like the animators I talked to who were blunt but honest about what the work was like. None of them would have given it up for the world.)
  • Eat Sunday brunch at Gracies.
    I actually haven't done that yet. Anyone want to get brunch the Sunday after break (Dec. 6th)?
    Use the indoor track at the gym.
    Yes! RIT's gym is pretty amazing, and not very widely used.
    Bring a car or have a friend with a car.
    We should have you covered!
    Wander around campus at night, break into conference rooms, and play Battletech in them. Explore building 7 late at night, especially the roof.
    Oh mans. I've been to the roof of building 7 only once, and it was pretty cool. I need to do more RIT spelunking.
    Make out with art girls.
    :3
    Avoid Computer Science House and fraternities.
    I dunno, I know some interesting people at CSH (who joined last year). Some of the upperclassmen/officers, though. :-/
    Buy groceries at Wegmans, and lament it when you leave Rochester.
    Did you know you can get Dulce de Leche from Argentina and German Nutella at the Wegman's near campus? Delicious with crepes.
    Hang out at the UofR arcade, and read their paper.
    What's this arcade business about?
    (unless you think you can lie your way into an all-debit)
    Tee-hee. It's not too hard. ^_~
  • I officially finished my RIT application just this moment. Huzzah!
  • What's this arcade business about?
    Unless things have changed drastically, RIT has a piss poor arcade. U of R, meanwhile, has Ridge Racer and DDR.