This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Just read a letter from the IRS that they processed my 1040X. I should be receiving my $485 I accidentally deducted from my taxes within the week.

So I saved $210 from getting my traffic violation dropped and am finally getting back the $485 I cheated myself out of. Woohoo!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I just finished the last of my finals, have an entire week which I do not have to work, and my Street Fighter IV arcade stick just came in. Time to work on not sucking at Street Fighter anymore.
  • Xbox and tournament stick arrived surprisingly early.
  • I got my first paycheck from my awesome tech job today! For only two weeks part-time work, it was $300! Huzzah!
  • I finished my freshman year of college.
  • edited May 2010
    After 4 months of training (on and off) I finally ran a half-marathon (*on a treadmill by myself) 13.1 miles baby! (in around 145 minutes) *collapses*
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Real deck furniture acquired (complete with umbrella table).
    Let the BBQs begin!
  • So, I'm using my new laptop. It's fucking awesome. Today I'm going to install windows on it too, and so it'll run as a game machine too.

SSD hard drives kick ass.
  • SSD hard drives kick ass.
    Q F T

I ain't never going back! Fuck that spinning metal shit!
  • So quiet...
  • Xbox and tournament stick arrived surprisingly early.
    Oh,so you finally caved and got an Xbox like the rest of us, eh? Are you going with a live account?
  • Joe Sestak won!
  • edited May 2010
    Just got home from my last test in high school, ever. The cumulative test for General Physics II at Mercy College. Probably the hardest problem-solving test I've ever taken, and I fucking ACED it, not one day after coming down with a damn nasty cold-thing. Feels real good, man.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • I got a Betsey Johnson bag for a really good price! I'm so happy! I can't wait to use it starting tomorrow!

...I am SUCH a girl.
  • Last night I sorted through all my foreign cash left over from three years of work trips. I did some spreadsheeting and it turns out I have €891.87 in money I can't spend here. But this means that if I change all the money (or as much of it is worth it), I'll be able to buy an iPad in a few weeks. I wasn't going to bother, because I wasn't able to justify buying a new toy computer so soon after buying a new macbook pro, but it seems I've got money just sitting around doing nothing.
  • Why not invest it in Greece :-p
    Because he'll get more for his money buying an iPad.
    Just BUY Greece.
    Just BUY Greece.
    I repeat my previous statement.
  • Might as well post photos and my blog post...

All moneys

Last night I decided to sort through and count up all the foreign currency I have at home. I travel a lot with work, and visit a lot of countries. Often the local businesses will accept dollars or euros, and sometimes pounds. Other times I'll just use my various cards. But sometimes I'm going to spend a few days in the country, and might go on various adventures. The last thing I want to do is be stuck somewhere without enough money to do something spontaneous. More importantly, I never want to be stuck without enough money to hire a cab back to the cruise ship in an emergency.

So I often change too much money, or get too much money out of an ATM. And just as often, when returning to a country, I forget that I have that currency at home, so change more the next time I am there. Do this for three years and one collects quite a lot of cash one can't spend at home.

I guessed I had about €700 of foreign monies. I counted it up last night, and spreadsheeted it this afternoon, and it turns out I have €891.87 in 29 different currencies, plus four kinds of coin and one note I can't identify. I think some of it is Russian, but others have even less recognizable alphabets.

Coins

In case you are wondering, 5.10 in Slovenian money equals €0.02, 210 in Tanzanian money equals €0.12, and 160 in Icelandic money equals €1. Some of biggest chunks of money are, handily, in more useful currencies. US dollars (€117.73), UK pounds (€78.98) and New Turkish Liras (€115.58) I'll be able to use no problem, as I plan to visit all those places by the end of the year. Israeli Shekels (€47.69) won't be that handy though.

And I'd like to admit I've unknowingly broken the law in India by taking too much money out of the country (€69.37).

The single largest currency is Norwegian, after getting enough out of the bank to pay for various trips for two people at Nordkap and Svalbard last year, only to have the person I was traveling with to cover all the costs with his credit card (€366.76). I think I'll just change that back into euros.

So, it seems I have more money than I thought. This is good, because I just spent a lot of money on my new laptop. Thankfully, now that I have my new laptop, I can't think of a single thing I'd like to own that I don't already own, so this money is going into the savings.

Or maybe an iPad.
  • I guessed I had about €700 of foreign monies. I counted it up last night, and spreadsheeted it this afternoon, and it turns out I have €891.87 in 29 different currencies, plus four kinds of coin and one note I can't identify. I think some of it is Russian, but others have even less recognizable alphabets.
    Can you show us these kinds you can't identify? Surely the forum will be able to work it out.
  • I'm sure I could work out what the coins are myself, but it's really not that important to me.
  • edited May 2010
    I had my seminar presentation today and it went pretty much perfectly. Also received the grade for an exam I wrote about a month ago today, which I passed. I'm on a 13-1 passing grade streak. Boo yah!

One of those 13 passed is the make-up exam for the one I failed.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I'm on a forum!
  • edited May 2010
    I had my seminar presentation today and it went pretty much perfectly. Also received the grade for an exam I wrote about a month ago today, which I passed. I'm on a 13-1 passing grade streak. Boo yah!

One of those 13 passed is the make-up exam for the one I failed.
    Just to elaborate a little on how much of a Boo Yah this actually is: A friend of mine who also wrote the exam and failed told me the unofficial result: 1 C, 5 D's and 19 F's. He knows it because his mom works at the university. If you mirror that to the austrian grade system (1-5, 1 being the best) the average grade is 4.72. It is basically one of the biggest bitch exams out there and one most people who study informatics at our university fail miserably at.

Man I am glad I don't have to write that fucker again.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • So I attended my first SCA event ever this past weekend - The War of the Roses. As you might guess, it's a York vs. Lancaster-themed war encampment event. It was a lot of fun, and Nuri and I wound up camping with a great group of people.

There was a brewing competition at this event; it seems that our Barony has a decent number of brewers, vintners, fermenters, and what have you. I figured "What the hell" and entered Dire Beer into the competition. The guy who was managing our camp put me in touch with an SCA brewing expert who gave me guidance on how to demonstrate that my beer could be period, and I put together some documentation over the course of an hour, the day before the event.

I wound up winning. I was the best "Beer" entrant, and my beer also had the highest score overall. I beat out people who have been doing this for years and years, at my first event (which is also my first SCA involvement), with the second batch of beer I've ever brewed. I got an awesome handmade leather bottle out of it.

Nuri also won the bardic competition, beating out people who've been involved with the barony for decades. She got an awesome hand-wrought iron knife and fork out of it. Yay!
  • What is a bardic competition, and how do you win?

Congrats on winning the beer competition.
  • What is a bardic competition, and how do you win?
    Singing, storytelling, poetry, instrument playing, etc. Some people find and perform various period pieces, some play period instruments, and some people compose new works in a period style.

You win by being better than everyone else at your thing. :P In Nuri's case, she sang 3 different pieces which were considered "SCA appropriate" - that's the loosest set of requirements for a competition - and won out over other singers, storytellers, and poets.
  • Just had an awesome sparkly Memorial Day weekend - thanks guys. :)