This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Photos

Comments

• edited October 2015
    I bought a new flash for my digital camera that actually supports TTL metering. Took it up to Albany this weekend, and took a few photos that aren't completely awful.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskmUUNoC

People seem to be anti-flash, but this is great. I can actually take spontaneous photos of people in dark places without fiddling with the flash settings on a manual flash. Since it's a "real" flash it gets way better results than the awful built-in flash. The TTL is also incredibly good at getting the right exposure. I can completely trust it to use the right amount of power no matter where I aim it.

The problem is that some photos still end up looking like typical party photos where the people are well lit, and the background is hella dark. You know what I'm talking about. Photos like this one:

015.jpg

You also get situations where not everyone is the same distance from the flash, and there's nothing to bounce it off, so not all the people are evenly lit.

013.jpg

Then there's that most common situation. You're in a well-lit space. I mean, people usually don't spend a lot of time in very dark places. Despite that, it's not quite bright enough for photography. You're going to have to crank the ISO, creating grain, or drop the shutter speed, and you don't want to do either. A flash just gets it done. The subjects will be in focus, and well lit. The background might be a bit darker, but no big deal. Plenty of walls or ceilings to bounce the flash off of to soften the light. You wouldn't even know a flash was used, but without it the shot would have been much worse.

033.jpg
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited October 2015
    Those are some great pictures! I wish my friends weren't so camera shy.

Ethereal

20150525_152300

_SAM0006.jpg

SAM_0031.jpg

SAM_0006.jpg
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Fisheeeeeeyyyyyyeeeee
  • Refresh the page, I had to edit the width tags.
  • Refresh the page, I had to edit the width tags.

TIL you don't need to buy a fisheye lens. Just streeeetch everything out in post!
  • Anyone have general tips of making a business head shot?
  • Coldguy said:

Anyone have general tips of making a business head shot?

Pay a professional to take head shots of you.

If you want to do it yourself, search YouTube for Peter Hurley. He's one of the best headshot photographers in the world, and he doesn't keep secrets.
  • Oh, I also should have mentioned. After watching Hurley's videos you're going to realize something. Oh fuck, this is way more involved than I thought. Let me pay a professional to do this.
  • I've found these very helpful

Lighting for Portraits

Lighting for Portraits
  • I'm really, really happy with this one photo I took in Portland.

https://flic.kr/p/BPpb48

• no title: no description

Like I did for 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015, I made a calendar for 2016 using some of my favourite photos from juggling conventions and shows in 2015.

no title: no description

• Is there some reason most of those people have huge pants?
  • It's easier to move around in huge pants than tiny pants?
  • I like your pictures, Luke. Is Jonglissimo a single-namer?
  • Jonglissimo is a group of Austrian jugglers who perform with lots of clubs and have all the club passing world records.
  • Lumiere London Festival

IMG_9150

more on flickr
  • IMG_9055-3

Backlit fountain in Trafalgar Square
  • IMG_0082.jpg

Someone's got the right idea.
  • Hocus ain't no joke. I was there for big money.
  • IMG_0393edit

It's Spring time!. Hope to capture a lot more vibrancy in all this wonderful sunshine! Though restricted to my kit lenses.
  • So when I was going to the Babymetal concert, they had posted a rule that no cameras were allowed that had interchangeable lenses. I only own two cameras with fixed lenses, other than my phone. Both use film. One is enormous, uses medium format film, has no meter, and can only take 8 shots per roll. I wasn't about to change film in the pit, carry extra rolls, or carry an enormous camera.

That left me with my Canonet QL17 GIII. It's small. It has a wide aperture, which is good in the dark. It's all metal, like a tank. However, it's a manual focus rangefinder. It's tough to focus that while being pushed around. The angle of the lens is wide, and I won't be close enough to fill the frame easily. Shutter speeds would be too low with things moving fast. Lights would be constantly changing. I figured with 36 shots on a single roll maybe I could miraculously get one great shot to be worthwhile.

Well, no miracles, but a few close ones. I think every shot was either out of focus, poorly exposed, or had a shutter speed that was to slow. I guess if you look at all of them collectively from far away there are a lot of pretty colors!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskzLigKv

This would have been terrific if it was in focus.

babymetal_18.jpg

Meanwhile, the other roll of film from my Canon A-1 that has photos from the end of New Years up through a couple weeks ago has some actual ok photos on it. Still scanning, though.
  • Why not just use your iPhone like a normal person? Here's a shot I shared on Instagram from the Muse concert I went to in Lisbon:

• Why not just use your iPhone like a normal person? Here's a shot I shared on Instagram from the Muse concert I went to in Lisbon:

An iPhone isn't at risk of being smashed at a Muse concert the way it is at a metal show.
  • The way you described the Baby Metal concert, it sounded as non-metal as Muse.
  • @Apreche Need higher ISO film for that live action. But o'shit Baby Metal!

Had a nice long walk through the Kew Gardens, though the Temperate House is closed for restoration there was still alot to see in the other gardens. Hay fever was triggered by the end of the day. I can feel the tears already just thinking about it.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskwtocJ2

IMG_0484edit
  • The way you described the Baby Metal concert, it sounded as non-metal as Muse.

I guess I only talked about the unexpected parts. I completely neglected to mention the general intensity level, since I totally expected that. People had their phones up, but mostly in the very front and the back. I saw at least two phones go down, and go down hard.

Let me tell you something, though. Shit always looks way less intense on video than you think it would after you were the one being pushed around for 90 minutes straight.

• Dazzle369 said:

@Apreche Need higher ISO film for that live action. But o'shit Baby Metal!

I bought a roll of Portra 800 specifically because I knew in advance. What else am I supposed to get? It's not like I can get Portra 3200 or 6400, or I would have.
  • Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

@Apreche Need higher ISO film for that live action. But o'shit Baby Metal!

I bought a roll of Portra 800 specifically because I knew in advance. What else am I supposed to get? It's not like I can get Portra 3200 or 6400, or I would have.
    Faster shutter speed in that case.