This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Photos

Comments

• Dazzle369 said:

Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

@Apreche Need higher ISO film for that live action. But o'shit Baby Metal!

I bought a roll of Portra 800 specifically because I knew in advance. What else am I supposed to get? It's not like I can get Portra 3200 or 6400, or I would have.
    Faster shutter speed in that case.
    Fast shutter speed.

In a low-light environment.

On too-slow-already film.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

I bought a roll of Portra 800 specifically because I knew in advance. What else am I supposed to get? It's not like I can get Portra 3200 or 6400, or I would have.
    It only goes to 500 on that camera. The aperture opens up to 1.7, which brings in the light, but makes it harder to focus. There's not a lot of options when you can't bring a camera with interchangeable lenses. I guess if I was doing this frequently, and was made of money, I could have brought a SONY RX1R II or RX100IV, probably the best fixed lens digital cameras you can get.
  • Neito said:

Dazzle369 said:

Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

Fast shutter speed.

In a low-light environment.

On too-slow-already film.
    To counter slow shutter speed and low ISO, the only alternative is to have a flash. Otherwise there will be motion blur.

Or like @Luke Burrage suggested, just use an iPhone/ digital camera that performs better in low light. Or something with better image stabilisation.

That's a thought. You could mount a film camera on a gyro, but that's so,,,, lol

https://goo.gl/hG3xAM
  • Actually managed to take some decent photos when not in a mosh pit.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskzNWpET

My boy Sophocles is cold, though.

portra016.jpg
  • According to the weather forecast, today was going to be 80+ degrees and sunny (it was). It's going to rain/drizzle from tomorrow through at least next Tuesday. So I called in sick and went biking. I took my camera with me and a mega zoomy lens for a project I am planning. Because it's a work day during work hours, the thing I wanted to take photos of for the project didn't exist. However, because Memorial Day weekend is coming, it's Fleet Week. A whole bunch of murder boats just happened to show up. Perfect for photographing with a mega zoomy lens from the shore.

I started in battery park where I could see all the boats coming in. There happens to be a conveniently placed war memorial there. Then I biked uptown and the aircraft carrier had just docked next to the Intrepid. They did a flag raising ceremony and a bunch of jingoist folks on the shore chanted USA! USA! Then I went uptown even more to chill on a pier. Some of the other ships went further up the Hudson, turned around, and were coming back.

Not a military nerd. Don't know which boat is which. Could look it up, but don't care. One seems to be Canadian, though!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskxam7Nf

P1210954.jpg
  • Apreche said:

mega zoomy

What's your stats?
  • Starfox said:

Apreche said:

mega zoomy

What's your stats?
    100-400. However, since my camera is micro 4/3 it zooms as much as a 200-800 lens on a full frame camera, like the Canon 5D.
  • How do you guys like the new GeekNights logo? ^^
  • This lens has the most zoom per buck I've seen yet. Sigma also do a similar spec lens for less, haven't researched a comparison.

• I have a new camera. The jump from Canon 60D to 80D is exactly as big as you'd expect from a six year advance in camera technology. Just every single thing about it is better.

:)
  • I have a new camera. The jump from Canon 60D to 80D is exactly as big as you'd expect from a six year advance in camera technology. Just every single thing about it is better.

:)

I can understand not switching away from Canon since you have Canon lenses already. I can also understand staying away from 5D or 1DX since they are so expensive. But why the 80D? It's a fine camera that will get the job done, but why not the 7DII or the 6D? They aren't much more expensive, but are quite better. The 6D is full frame! The 7DII is maybe the best APS-C DSLR other than the Nikon D500. The 80D is just less good than those for slightly less money.
  • To get the most out of full frame cameras, you also need full frame lenses. Not just lenses specifically designed for APS-C.
  • Most important for me which made me pick my 60D over the 7D and the 5D Mark II when I bought it in 2010:
    Weight
    Flip-around screen

There just wasn't another camera that can come close to that! Really. I looked.

Now, when it comes to replace it, 6D still doesn't have flip around screen, and the 80D beats it with the touch screen and touch-to-focus. The 7DII hasn't got the flip screen nor the touch screen, and is 200g heavier than the 80D.

Looking at this side-by-side, everything that is important to me, the 80D comes out ahead: http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-80D-vs-Canon-EOS-6D

If it was purely for photography, I'd probably get a full frame camera, but I do as much video with my camera as photography.
  • Most important for me which made me pick my 60D over the 7D and the 5D Mark II when I bought it in 2010:
    Weight
    Flip-around screen

There just wasn't another camera that can come close to that! Really. I looked.

Now, when it comes to replace it, 6D still doesn't have flip around screen, and the 80D beats it with the touch screen and touch-to-focus. The 7DII hasn't got the flip screen nor the touch screen, and is 200g heavier than the 80D.

Looking at this side-by-side, everything that is important to me, the 80D comes out ahead: http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-80D-vs-Canon-EOS-6D

If it was purely for photography, I'd probably get a full frame camera, but I do as much video with my camera as photography.

Wow. I didn't even think about the flippy screen. My GH4 has one, and so does pretty much every other mirrorless camera. I just take that shit for granted. Definitely a feature I can't live without.

You would honestly probably be better off with a SONY or Panasonic mirrorless camera. Way better video, and way lighter if you go micro 4/3, but you already own the Canon lenses. Made me realize just how far behind Canon is in the video department.
  • But I HATE HATE HATE non-optical viewfinders or taking photos having to look at the screen.
  • But I HATE HATE HATE non-optical viewfinders or taking photos having to look at the screen.

I originally agreed with that, until I got used to the EVF over time. I do still want to see the real world, but there are just so many benefits to giving up that one thing that it works out. Also, it helps that EVFs have improved so much over time. The new Olympus OMD EM1-ii is going to have a 120fps EVF. Insanity.
  • One benefit of the real viewfinder is it's easier to stabilize the thing holding it against your face.
  • There are some benefits, but so many downsides that it'll be years before they can satisfy me. I tried out a lot of them a few years ago, and one or two this past week, but they aren't yet close enough to not being there.

One thing I noticed was the wait. It took so long for them to turn on! With the optical view finder I could just raise it to my eye... and light is there! No screen to turn on, no drain of battery, no startup time for the camera.
  • Starfox said:

One benefit of the real viewfinder is it's easier to stabilize the thing holding it against your face.

Uh, you still hold the camera to your face with an EVF. The difference is that you are looking at a tiny screen inside the camera, not at a mirror that is reflecting light that is coming through your lens.

There are some benefits, but so many downsides that it'll be years before they can satisfy me. I tried out a lot of them a few years ago, and one or two this past week, but they aren't yet close enough to not being there.

One thing I noticed was the wait. It took so long for them to turn on! With the optical view finder I could just raise it to my eye... and light is there! No screen to turn on, no drain of battery, no startup time for the camera.

That is true there is a small delay. I guess it would bother me if I noticed it. The strategy is to just keep the camera on at all times. I turn it on, and then I don't turn it off until I'm done. It has economy mode and will go to sleep if you go a few minutes without touching it, but it wakes up from that much faster than waking up from being completely off. Also, it's pretty smart. If you do a time lapse it will turn itself off between shots and such.

Yeah, you are draining the battery, but the battery life is insane. A full GH4 battery can shoot 4K video for several hours before it gets low. I plug it into the wall during panels just to be safe, but I would be confident doing it with a full battery if the wall outlet was no good. SONY A7, not so much. They are notorious for shitty battery life. People tolerate that shitty battery life because the ISO goes up to 102400 (409600), and produces good, low-noise, results as high as 40000~.
  • In a few years I'm sure the electronic view finder will be good enough. But not yet.
  • In other news, the newly announced Olympus EM1-II has 18fps burst mode with autofocus. The Nikon D5, the best possible sports camera on earth, shoots at 12fps. That's just fucked up.
  • Apreche said:

Starfox said:

One benefit of the real viewfinder is it's easier to stabilize the thing holding it against your face.

Uh, you still hold the camera to your face with an EVF. The difference is that you are looking at a tiny screen inside the camera, not at a mirror that is reflecting light that is coming through your lens.
    Oh. I was thinking of these things:

I haven't really looked at four-thirdses in a while.
  • Usually the lower end mirrorless cameras don't have the EVF. I think that's the Sony a6000 you posted? The higher end ones all have an EVF. It's really just a second tiny screen hidden inside the camera.

The other option is to get a rangefinder. The only ones that I know of are the Fuji X-Pro or a Leica.
  • Starfox said:

I haven't really looked at four-thirdses in a while.

I have, just a day or two ago - my sister has been looking to buy one, and had a decent deal on a Lumix G7, and wanted to see if there were any cameras worth the extra money for her use case.

At the moment, it's pretty much a six-way tie between the Canon EOS M10, the G7, the Sony A5100, the Olympus E-PL7, the Alpha A6000, and the fuji X-m1, all much for the same reasons. They're all similar enough that it's a case of pick your fancy, and what you'll use, because otherwise the perform much the same.
  • The differences are subtle, and you won't understand or care about them until you learn a lot more. In order to learn more you have to buy one and get out there. Then by the time you learn, you already invested in that system and have a bunch of lenses.
  • Apreche said:

The differences are subtle, and you won't understand or care about them until you learn a lot more. In order to learn more you have to buy one and get out there. Then by the time you learn, you already invested in that system and have a bunch of lenses.

Since I know you don't mean me when you say "You", I agree. The differences in performance usually won't even make a difference until you've learned more, just get one with a feature set that appeals to you, and get shooting. Worry about the technical minutia later.
  • I do not understand the market for those stupid things.
  • Apreche said:

I do not understand the market for those stupid things.