This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• What is it exactly about Counter-Strike that is so hard for people? I'm always just a few spots away from the top of my team on any server, but by no means am I ever close to being on top. What is it exactly that you people have trouble with? Do you need to memorize the maps more?
  • Map memorization, strategy, reflexes. Also the fact that I'm most likely playing with people who have logged more hours than I have.
  • Put mouse on head. Push butan.
  • Map memorization, strategy, reflexes. Also the fact that I'm most likely playing with people who have logged more hours than I have.
    Baby's first counter-strike.

1) Memorize the default maps on your own offline.
    2) Play standard modes on standard servers. You can't handle weird modes until you can play the regular cs/de game.
    3) When the game starts, follow someone else. Stay behind them. Do not be the guy who runs out like rambo. Be patient and follow someone who looks like they know what they are doing.
    4) Always look behind you and to all sides like a paranoid nut. There will be somebody there!
    5) Don't spray and pray. Aim and fire at each target.

Once you have mastered those the next step is to find a server running fy_icyworld. This is a map that will train you in the ways of reflexes in CS. Just play it over and over and over and over until you have skills.
  • edited September 2011
    Yes yes, I know the basic idea. Applying it against people who have faster "put mouse on head" skills is where it gets difficult. I understand fully where I'm lacking.

@Apreche, thank you. I shall get to memorization/practicing/following right away.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • CS teaches tactics, timing, and patience, though also head-clicking.

Basic stuff like cover-fire will get you far.
  • Put mouse on head. Push butan.
    Man, screw that, just buy a shotgun.
  • 5) Don't spray and pray. Aim and fire at each target.
    Maybe you don't remember it, or you always had godlike cs skills, without the need of learning the basics, but for a newb this part here is extremely difficult. I remember how in CS:S the moment I saw an enemy was the moment I died, if I even saw the bullet coming. Of course one could always stay behind and be overly careful, but without getting into firefights one can't really learn the skills needed in those.

No matter how much I have enjoyed CS:S later, I always will remember how annoying and frustrating that game was when I was a newb that couldn't hit a barn door and everyone else in the world seemed to be headshot-masters. For every hour I played that game only about 10 minutes were spend playing it and rest of the time I was dead.
  • edited September 2011
    No matter how much I have enjoyed CS:S later, I always will remember how annoying and frustrating that game was when I was a newb that couldn't hit a barn door and everyone else in the world seemed to be headshot-masters.
    Even when I first started playing the game in 2000, it was never that hard. I sucked, for sure, but I still got a few kills every once in awhile. I also planted a lot of bombs and rescued a bunch of hostages because my map memorization was way ahead of my shooting skills.

On just about every map in those days there was a "secret" path. On office you could go to the hostages from the back by breaking the glass window. On aztec there was an extra set of stairs to the water that most people ignored. On militia there was the tunnel (bring night vision). On Italy you could go in the window. On estate you could go in the basement with the ghost of Gordon Freeman. On assault you could go in the roof vent.

Going on these paths, and avoiding the intense firefights of the main thoroughfares, I was able to live longer than most other players. I usually wouldn't even encounter more than one enemy until about half of each team was already dead. I would then appear behind enemy lines ready for bombing or hostage rescuing. I would also be fighting straight up, and not worrying about campers who aimed for areas where there were a higher volume of players to kill.

It's even better when one team had more people who knew the map than the other. I remember times we would have ten guys hit the office from the back window and there wouldn't even be a single terrorist near the hostages. They would all be waiting for us when we were bringing the hosties back to CT spawn. Knowing the maps counts for A LOT.

I didn't get a lot of kills myself, but I would get quite a few guys in the back or by surprise. I would also, most importantly, win and survive to the next round. If you can't get kills, try to survive the round. If you survive the round, you get a lot more money. Especially if a new map just started, you might be able to have an assault rifle and armor while the other team is stuck on SMGs at best. Gaining the momentum over a series of rounds for your team is key.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Problem is, though, that everyone online now has been playing CS for like, at least a decade now, or are the punk-ass kids who can play for eight hours a day. Everyone''s got the maps memorized and have mastered headclicking. Newbies don't have time to get good at the vital reflex skills because omae wa mo shindeiru, every time. Until you break through that "I'm just target practice" barrier, CS is just plain frustrating; by the time I got to the point where I was really racking up kills in CS, I was honestly done with the game, especially considering how poisonous and unfriendly the community, and other players on a given server, were. The game was a chore to play when I really just needed to blow off steam.
  • Play respawn gungame non-stop.
  • edited September 2011
    The Binding of Isaac is a two stick shooter / rogue-like with random dungeons and a Legend of Zelda style with a really twisted vibe

You play as Isaac, naked boy who's trying to escape his homicidal religious fannatic mother by making his way through the basements and caves under his house which are full of monsters and his mutated brothers and sisters. Your primary weapon is your tears.

It's made by the half of the Team Meat guys but I don't think it's up to the caliber Super Meat Boy, which isn't to say its bad, just not as good.

It's also only $5.

edit: for accuracy
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Your primary weapon is your tears.
    I've dated a few girls like that.
  • Your primary weapon is your teats.
    I've dated a few girls like that.
  • I absolutely Must begin playing a game I can completely get into... something hard -not- to play.
  • I'm playing "Have my mind boggled at what a terrible company EA is and how their anti-piracy actions are so stupid that they hinder me from playing the game I got legitimately".
  • I absolutely Must begin playing a game I can completely get into... something hard -not- to play.
    Minecraft
  • Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Jumping from whatever godawful performance I had on my 9500 GT to 60 FPS on a DX11 card is like playing a brand new game. I've had a positive KDR every round since the upgrade.
  • I've been playing the Binding of Isaac a lot lately, it's rather fantastic.
  • Getting back into Fallout: New Vegas. It just doesn't have the staying power of Fallout 3.
  • edited September 2011
    The Binding of Isaac. Man oh man now there's a game. It's basically an homage to Zelda 1 the way Meat Boy was an homage to SMB, but with Jhonen Vasquez-style dark humor.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The Binding of Isaac. Man oh man now there's a game. It's basically an homage to Zelda 1 the way Meat Boy was an homage to SMB, but with Jhonen Vasquez-style dark humor.
    Dude, that sounds like my jam.
    Minecraft
    Do you like dreaming about the game you are playing and waking up in the middle of the night with it calling your name? Do you ever take a full plate of mashed potatoes to the dinner table and instead of eating it, shape it into a mountain?
  • edited October 2011
    I absolutely Must begin playing a game I can completely get into... something hard -not- to play.
    Minecraft
    Do you like dreaming about the game you are playing and waking up in the middle of the night with it calling your name? Do you ever take a full plate of mashed potatoes to the dinner table and instead of eating it, shape it into a mountain?
    I honestly don't get the strong reaction Minecraft gets out of people. The vistas it creates can be beautiful and the things that people make in it are cool, but it never gets any hooks into me when I boot it up.

All of my forays into Minecraft can be summed up as thus:

1. Ok, punch trees, get sticks and planks, get bench, make pick, get coal, make torches, survive first night.
    2. get food and metal, make a couple of things.
    3. wander around for a while
    4. start building something
    5. Tssssssssss SHITACREEPER *BOOOM*
    6. *RESPAWN* where's that thing I started making?
    7. eff this *shut down*

What does it do that Gmod, Terreria or Dwarf Fortress doesn't do better?
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Europa Universalis III. Again. This time I'm reviving the Byzantine Empire.
  • Open_Sketchbook's Red alert 3 Mod and The Red Alert Mod that recreates RA1 in RA3.
  • edited October 2011
    Open_Sketchbook's Red alert 3 Mod and The Red Alert Mod that recreates RA1 in RA3.
    I'm sorry it's so imbalanced :(
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Open_Sketchbook's Red alert 3 Mod and The Red Alert Mod that recreates RA1 in RA3.
    Is there a big modding scene for that? And if so (even if not, really) what's a good place to start? (preferably without as much micromanagement as vanilla)
  • I'm sorry it's so imbalanced :(
    I haven't played enough to tell yet but I will and do I have to install the mini mod to get the other factions?
    Is there a big modding scene for that? And if so (even if not, really) what's a good place to start? (preferably without as much micromanagement as vanilla)
    Seems to be one but Sketchbook would know more than I since I just downloaded those two mod today.
  • We're not done yet. All we have released is the expanded Allies and the Confederate Revolutionaries.

The RA3 modding scene isn't terribly large comparatively, but there are a lot of cool stuff happening.