This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• I really want to see a SWAT game with the gun mechanics of Receiver. That would be the best.
  • If you do not take my advice, you are not allowed to talk about video games.
    Well, at least Scott learned SOMETHING from all the times he's been told that he shouldn't talk about things he doesn't really know about.
    Scott doesn't like Firefly. Ergo, Scott is wrong about everything.
    Can we keep saying Rubin, just so I am not confused with the blasphemer.
    Seconded.
  • Crap, if I would have taken that free Overgrowth because I have NS2, I would have gotten Receiver for free now.
  • You get free Overgrowth for having NS2? And you said no!?
  • You get free Overgrowth for having NS2? And you said no!?
    It was a limited time thing and I had to register on some forum, and I didn't do it in time.

• If you people haven't played DayZ yet, let me relate a story from last night.

Played a couple of lives last night, and I think I'm finally getting the video settings right after about an hour and a half of tweaking. If I run through a city, the game still stutters like crazy as it tries to buffer a billion miles of stuff, but I think that's unavoidable.

That said, I also died but not without having a cool moment. I was crouch-walking towards a city, trying to stay on the outskirts, when all of the sudden a pair of zombies popped around a corner and charged me. I guess I was making a lot of noise or something.

Well, I did what any rational human being would do and just booked it in the opposite direction. Then I vaulted a fence (V for Vault, it's so simple!) and was thoroughly glad I didn't have to look up any other commands. Unfortunately, I got a bit turned around and ended up running at full speed through the town, and apparently seeing a piece of fresh meat running in front of them tends to attract more zombies. So... I had a bit of a train following me as I was running down the main road, no clue where I was going.

Eventually, I saw a warehouse that was open on both ends so I ran through this for no adequately explainable reason. Some of the zombies seemed to lose interest at this point, so I paused to look around and saw several still running at me. I ran back towards the main town (I have no idea what any of these places were called), but saw a ladder on my left and thought "Zombies can't climb!" so I started climbing up it.

While they didn't climb after me (and I had to fumble to even get on the ladder... really? I had to hit enter to "Use Ladder"?), I did end up on the top of some sort of cistern or something. No way down that wasn't covered by zombies.

After around 20 minutes of sitting there uselessly, every once in awhile peering off the side, I decided that the drop couldn't possibly be far enough to kill me. I was right, it wasn't. It was just far enough to break my legs and cause me to bleed. Slowly. To death.

Then I couldn't figure out how to respawn, and when I changed servers I was immediately aggro'd by zombies, so I had to swim to an island that turned out to be a peninsula with more zombies.
  • If you have a round chambered, make sure you hold down the slide lock to prevent it from cycling.
    Why don't you just change the magazine if you already have a round chambered and go back to blasting?
  • If you have a round chambered, make sure you hold down the slide lock to prevent it from cycling.
    Why don't you just change the magazine if you already have a round chambered and go back to blasting?
    You can do that as well, but I'm assuming he's referring to checking to see if you have a round chambered without ejecting the live round.

• edited June 2012
    Me and a friend both downloaded Kerbal space program and had an old fashioned space race. I lost, mostly due to me taking embarrassingly long to understand the nav ball.
    Now I can get to the moon consistently, but have yet to not explode on impact; though he somehow managed to blow up his entire ship while landing and left his landing pod sliding across the moon at 100 m/s intact.

Also been playing some SCP Containment Breach. As shitty as it initially looks, I now find that game scarier than Amnesia. I just straight up slam escape and close the game at some points with a big "NOPE". That doesn't happen too often nowadays. Now I'm just waiting for the game to actually be beatable.

I imagine both have been talked about at some point but I still recommend both games (they're free)!
    Post edited by Grunkie7 on
  • I'm taking Scott's advice and playing The Legend of Zelda.
    Fuck Wizzrobes and Like-likes. Fuck those guys.
    Don't rush it. Just hang back and play it safe. Hit and run. Attack only when it's safe. There's no time limit. Just wait until there is a room full of blue Darknuts! Also, the second quest is even worse.
  • edited June 2012
    EDIT: Oops, wrong thing.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    What's not to Like-Like about those guys?
    *groan*
  • edited June 2012
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • On to the second quest!
  • I just finished Quantum Conundrum. It's a good game. It is structural similar to Portal (which is probably because it was made by Kim Swift who worked on Portal,) but it manages to be a very different kind of game. There are some clever puzzles, and ways to use your dimension powers, but more often then not you are using them while also required to execute some platforming.
    Fuck.
    Fuck.
    Done!
    Fuck.
    Done!
    Did you use a FAQ? There is no way you could have already found dungeon 8 in the second quest on your own.
  • Got one of those fancy new XBox 360 Slims because the disk drive in my original 360 died, so I'm now able to finish Mass Effect 2 along with the DLC. Picked up Mass Effect 3 today because it is on sale at Best Buy for $40 and I'll probably start that sometime this week.
  • Finished Arkham Asylum, now playing Costume Quest!
  • Finished Arkham Asylum, now playing Costume Quest!
    I beat both Costume Quest and the sequel to it when it was on sale in steam. It is a nice little game.
  • edited June 2012
    On to the second quest!
    Fuck.
    Done!
    Did you use a FAQ? There is no way you could have already found dungeon 8 in the second quest on your own.
    It wasn't worth the effort to go around burning every bush and bombing every wall, so I made the decision to just look it up, as with a few other things. There's also a lot less motivation to explore in the Second Quest given that it's almost the same overworld again.
    Also, it's your own policy that a good game can't be spoiled, no?
    Fuck.
    Done!
    It wasn't worth the effort to go around burning every bush and bombing every wall, so I made the decision to just look it up, as with a few other things. There's also a lot less motivation to explore in the Second Quest given that it's almost the same overworld again.
    It's true that it can't be spoiled. You're just a sissy. I spent years looking for that dungeon on a real NES, and never found it.
  • edited June 2012
    On to the second quest!
    Fuck.
    Done!
    It's true that it can't be spoiled. You're just a sissy. I spent years looking for that dungeon on a real NES, and never found it.
    Seems like a bad use of my time to me. Sure, I could see myself doing that kind of thing 10 years ago, but now?

This just seems like one of those areas where the standard way to get through the game is a massive investment of time - isn't that what you were arguing against in the Diablo III thread?
    Fuck.
    Done!
    Seems like a bad use of my time to me. Sure, I could see myself doing that kind of thing 10 years ago, but now?

This just seems like one of those areas where the standard way to get through the game is a massive investment of time - isn't that what you were arguing against in the Diablo III thread?
    Let me tie it into the mythology. Watch this.

Link already has the triforce of courage within his heart, and Ganon possesses the triforce of power. That makes them equals. Link must collect the triforce of WISDOM to beat Ganon. The wisdom that you acquire as you play is the skill that is tested by this game.

The ancients of Hyrule (game designers) were very wise. They built and hid mighty dungeons to protect the triforce fragments. Yet, they knew that one day the hero link (you) may have to put it together, so they could not permanently seal the triforce. People of such great wisdom protected the triforce in such a way. Only someone just as wise could reassemble the triforce. And by filling the dungeons with deadly monsters and traps, only someone who already had sufficient courage or power could survive them.

Throughout the game you learn how the ancients (game designers) think, and gain wisdom. You soon are able to know that a particular block will definitely move when you push it, even though it's a brand new room. You can look at a brand new dungeon map and know where a secret room lies, and how to get into it. You have gained the wisdom of the ancients and are worthy of the triforce.

You can just have a FAQ tell you where all the things are, but then you will not acquire that wisdom. And even though you see the ending screen, you have not acquired the skill that the game was trying to test.

Burning every bush, bombing every wall, and whistling every screen is a grind that takes time. But that is not what was intended. I tried that for years and it did not help me find the dungeon! They even put the door charge guy in there to dissuade you from doing this. You were supposed to gain the wisdom so that you would know where the things were. That is how I found the level 9 dungeon almost immediately in both quests, but finding the 8th in the second quest is the true test to see who is the true hero.
  • Well you could be a real man and learn how to beat both quests in Zelda C with no FAQ.

• Well you could be a real man and learn how to beat both quests in Zelda C with no FAQ.

Who couldn't get past dungeon 3? This guy!

• edited June 2012
    Aw man you didn't get to experience the best frustrating part of that game, getting the sword in the second quest. That goal has several parts genius and several parts holy shit.

However if you want a hint on beating dungeon 3

Walk into the wall in the upper left most room in that dungeon, the rest of it is nothing more then a trap to waste your time.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Can't read that without comic book guy's voice.