This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Scott, I can agree with your logic in the first quest, and in exploring the dungeons, but I think you're stretching things to apply that to the dungeon locations in the second quest, especially the 8th.
    Burning every bush, bombing every wall, and whistling every screen is a grind that takes time. But that is not what was intended. I tried that for years and it did not help me find the dungeon! They even put the door charge guy in there to dissuade you from doing this. You were supposed to gain the wisdom so that you would know where the things were. That is how I found the level 9 dungeon almost immediately in both quests, but finding the 8th in the second quest is the true test to see who is the true hero.
    Oh? How would this "WISDOM" lead you to find that location?
    I think this is a case where you're failing to separate your own feelings about the game from objective judgement of the game. It's a great game, but I think the second quest does have a definite flaw in hiding the dungeons too deeply in the overworld, particularly the 8th.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Well you could be a real man and learn how to beat both quests in Zelda C with no FAQ.
    I'll give that a go.
  • It's similar to one of those things that used to be on the mini page, "find these ten objects hidden in this drawing." It's a test of perception. Can you look at this thing and imaging all the possibilities? If you even considered bombing while using the ladder, you will almost immediately discover the 8th dungeon. I never thought of that in all my days.

Also, in a day and age without FAQs, it really meant something if you beat the second quest. Nowadays beating any single player game has no meaning unless you video tape yourself getting a high score on some old arcade machine. Since there are no time machines to go back and play Zelda 1 in the '80s, this whole aspect of the game is lost no matter what you do, so the player really can't be faulted.
  • You can just not look shit up y'know.
  • I think what he's getting at is that you can't PROVE you didn't look shit up, which is sort of a sad way to look at it. Who cares about beating difficult games for cred? I just want to play.
  • Pokemon Conquest is all right, but I still haven't figured out how well the multiplayer will actually be. If I have to grind to optimize, I don't know how far I'll get before I give up. ;^)

The strategy (in terms of which pokemon to use) is there, but there is so far zero tactical/battle-level decision making (at least as far as I've played). Battle outcomes are effectively determined when the battle is begun, and everything else is just going through the motions.
  • Isn't every Pokemon game essentially like that? I mean, even the ones that have some strategy are pretty LIGHT on strategy. Isn't it a game more or less for seven year olds?

I mean, I understand the appeal of collection. I understand the nostalgia aspect, but I do NOT understand the crazed popularity of this game that seems to continue well into the third decade for people who grew up playing this.

I was a few years too old for Pokemon when it came out, and thank God (or God-like element.)
  • edited June 2012
    Have you ever played a Pokemon game?

/says the guy with the Squirtle avatar
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2012
    Have you ever played a Pokemon game?
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Well you could be a real man and learn how to beat both quests in Zelda C with no FAQ.
    I'll give that a go.
    Well, in the first quest of Zelda C I now have the raft, ocarina, and stepladder, so I'm probably ahead of where Scott got up to. No FAQs so far.

I did make a super cool python script that automatically maps out the area you've explored so far, though; it works for Zelda and Zelda C. If anyone's interested I can put it up somewhere.
  • How does this python script work? Does it inspect the game in memory?
    Nope. You take screenshots and it processes them from the screenshot folder. It automatically builds a map out of the screenshots by using the minimap to work out where that part of the map goes.

So, it's not fully automated, but it's 100% legit. If you're interested I'll put it up on Github when I get home.
    Nope. You take screenshots and it processes them from the screenshot folder. It automatically builds a map out of the screenshots by using the minimap to work out where that part of the map goes.

So, it's not fully automated, but it's 100% legit. If you're interested I'll put it up on Github when I get home.
    That is very very clever, my friend.
  • I'm about 2-3 hours into Mass Effect 3 and the gameplay is exactly what I wanted Mass Effect 2 to be: Mass Effect with some serious polish. I also love the snazzy level up system and and being able to see what each individual upgrade will do and how/what it will affect.

As for the story: holy shit, what an opening. Also, Liara right off the bat? Alice Shepard is pleased.

I have a question for anyone who didn't play the Lair of the Shadow Broker and/or the Arrival DLC:
    Is Liara the Shadow Broker in your version of Mass Effect and is Shepard stripped of his/her title at the beginning?
  • No matter what, Liara is the Shadow Broker and Shepard is under arrest. If you didn't play Arrival, it has more to do with you being with Cerberus. As for Liara, without LoTSB, she took the Shadow Broker's base on her own, but as a result had to crash the ship, and her friend Feron died.
  • The biggest difference - as far as I've heard - is that if your save isn't flagged with the "Has played X DLC and Y DLC" tags, they just give you a bit more explanation of the events that occurred within them, so you're not sitting about scratching your head and wondering what the fuck everybody is on about, because you didn't blow up any bollocks you shouldn't have, you were off eating steak, because you fucking love steak.

• I've been playing an absolute metric fuck ton of Warzone 2100. There's no finer RTS, in my opinion. Also my strategy of building loads of artillery bases still works beautifully.

I'll re-beat the single player campaign sometime in the near future though, so after that I'm not quite sure what I'll go back to. Possibly DayZ.
  • I need to go back and start Mass Effect 2. I have it shrink wrapped on my shelf. I just couldn't make it through Mass Effect 1 after the Mako missions started. They're a nightmare.

I don't see how that dev house could get KoTOR so right and Mass Effect so wrong in terms of combat, either. They tried to make it all FPS-y and it doesn't appeal to me much (although obviously I'm a minority on this.)
  • Beat Max Payne 3 and Im playin the multiplayer now, its really good. Kind of weird that the playerbase is already in the thousands tho (ps3), considering it's a) super good and b) a Rockstar release.
  • I didn't pick up Max Payne 3 mostly because I skipped 2 and my gaming budget is seriously tight these days. The last major release I got was The Witcher 2, still struggling to be interested in it.

I think I'm going to go back to Saint's Row 3 and complete it and the DLC whenever I get bored of playing Pinball Arcade and William's Hall of Fame. Could be awhile. :)
  • I need to go back and start Mass Effect 2. I have it shrink wrapped on my shelf. I just couldn't make it through Mass Effect 1 after the Mako missions started. They're a nightmare.

I don't see how that dev house could get KoTOR so right and Mass Effect so wrong in terms of combat, either. They tried to make it all FPS-y and it doesn't appeal to me much (although obviously I'm a minority on this.)
    Nah, I agree with you on the combat. As a shooter, it's sub-par, and as an RPG it's sub-par. The only part of it I really like is the story and everything that revolves around that. That said, I still haven't finished Mass Effect 3 because while I'm driven to get to the end of the story, the vehicle for getting to the end of the story (the gameplay) is so repetitive and boring that I simply can't be bothered.
  • I wasnt even going to get Max Payne until I read that HEALTH did the sound track. It winds up only being a really really super cool mix of music and action in one area near the end, but its generally still a really good sound track.
  • ENDLESS SPACE IS ENDLESS... Though I think I'll be playing some other games so I don't burn out on it, before Humans want to play with me ^_^
  • Asura's Wrath is the best anime I've seen recently.
  • Went back to Terraria, that game is choice.
  • ENDLESS SPACE IS ENDLESS... Though I think I'll be playing some other games so I don't burn out on it, before Humans want to play with me ^_^
    That's what I've been doing. And considering that the fastest game of it that against humans that I've played still took 3+ hours, it's an easy game to burn out on.
  • What's Endless Space?
  • What's Endless Space?
    A new 4X game - it's basically an updated indie version of Masters of Orion. It's pretty damned good.
  • I need to go find that.

I spent a couple of years trying to write my own multiplayer 4X game in PHP. Never got very far but I DID write a kick-butt universe generator (since lost in a hard drive crash). 4X is the best genre there is.
    That's what I've been doing. And considering that the fastest game of it that against humans that I've played still took 3+ hours, it's an easy game to burn out on.
    Yea, considering most turn based strat games of multiplayer end WAY before the actual end would come. I've only seen real small games of CIV IV multi-player actually finished on the fastest settings.