This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Now that I've derailed the LoL argument I'll say that I'm enjoying ZombiU more than I thought I would. Definitely had worries that it would be the Red Steel of Wii launch infamy, but there are both genuinely creepy and suspenseful moments. Story is mediocre at best but I'm OK with it, and having not played Demons Souls or Dark Souls before, I'm digging the permadeath stuff. Going back and killing your zombie self to get your gear back is a gratifying experience.

Also, best use of the gamepad so far. Your character carries one around in the game (they call it the "prepper pad"). Whenever a situation arises where your character has to focus their attention on something (picking a lock, rooting around in your backpack, etc.), you have to play out those actions on the gamepad screen, but the action doesn't stop on the TV. It switches to a third person view and you can absolutely get ambushed if you start managing your inventory outside of safe areas).

I have put about 9 hours in and think I've got at most 1 or 2 left.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • All those options collapse into a very narrow set of viable paths however.
    Define "narrow" for League of Legends in this context.
  • edited February 2013
    All those options collapse into a very narrow set of viable paths however.
    True, but those paths shift based on the paths your opponents and allies take, and you don't always have 100% flexibility to change your tactics at a moment's notice.

The paths are just a lot narrower in LoL than in Dota and the potential branches fewer.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited February 2013
    Now, that meta aspect doesn't seem to be nearly as relevant in LoL as in M:tG tournaments.
    True, though there is actually a definite element of counter-picking in LoL, especially given the pre-game draft mode.
    Narrow compared to the realm of possibilities, at the very least - but that happens in almost every game.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited February 2013
    Narrow compared to the realm of possibilities, at the very least - but that happens in almost every game.
    Certainly. I'm just curious what exactly he means in this context. The total number of characters and build orders in LoL at the top end is still relatively high to the point that I find the term "narrow" to be a bit wrong here. People still play hybrid characters that you can't even be certain if they're going AD or AP until a couple minutes into the match. There are also plenty of characters that can be AP or support and others that are AD or jungle. You don't necessarily have a total cookie-cutter counter-pick system all the time.

And this is before getting into specific items and build orders and counter-picking those. Knowing the full meta-game for LoL is actually fairly broad compared to a lot of games (more narrow than some others certainly). I think there are more valid "openings" than in Chess, at least.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I would love to be playing Crusader Kings II but for what ever reason my mouse is out of wack and not on target in the slightest. I have no idea how to fix it, which is irritating as I have a big medieval kick at the moment.
  • UPDATE: I loaded up my Tropico game and realized that the rebels hadn't attacked because I had used a policy that made there be no more rebel attacks for 3 years two years before the final attack. Instead of delaying it like I thought it would, it just cancelled it. Finished the mission by not enacting that policy, and now replacing William Jennings Bryan as my avatar with Andrew Mothafokkin Jackson.
  • Still War Thundering. Up to level 10 with US, but I'm stalling there because of how awful they are at dogfighting. The P-63 is alright, but my P-39s and A-20 is outclassed completely, and the P-47 can get a single good attack run in before turning into chaff with pilot smoothie mixed in.

I have thus switched to Russia, Britain and Japan. Cannons are quite nice, and when people ignore you a Wellington with 500lb bombs is just devastating.

When I hit a wall with War Thunder, though, I'll swap to one of the many GoG games I've grabbed. Right now: Planescape: Torment. Also playing Ni No Kuni (picking it up this afternoon), Terminal Velocity (yeah, 1995 grafix!), TIE Fighter, Chivalry (a little, it's kind of crap), Alpha Protocol, Star Wars: Galaxies (yes, THAT SWG.).
  • Churba, what time do you want to do this Payday thing? I'm free tomorrow after midnight GMT.
  • I'm barely playing Fire Emblem: Awakening and it's awesome, it's just I'm working 14 hours day on a business trip....

//suffering Planetside 2 withdraw.
  • Churba, what time do you want to do this Payday thing? I'm free tomorrow after midnight GMT.
    I have to run a quick delivery tomorrow morning, but I should be able to get it done either earlier or later, so that time should be fine.

Do yourself a favor, and get Mumble if you don't already have it - It's better for gaming than skype, usually. I'll send you the details for my mumble server a little bit later.

Ditto that for Matatat and Nelson.

• I usually just use the steam chat client with group chat but I'll download that.
  • I am playing ZombieU and this shit gets pretty scary sometimes.
  • I did indeed finish ZombiU last night. Total playtime was 11 hours, and at one point, was able to run a survivor up to almost 7,000 points which I was pretty happy with. Game largely held up to my expectations of having launch title flaws, but not unforgivable ones. If you want a good example, look at combat on stairs: hit a zombie with cricket bat, zombie does not break from standing position, floats upwards 8 feet while sliding backwards up the steps. That sorts thing takes you out of the moment just a wee bit.

Previously I mentioned the story was a bit of a groaner, and it definitely gets a bit more hokey at the end as they try to apply some shred of continuity, but this buts up against you coming in as a brand new person every time you die.

Final opinion: B-, happy to have played it.
  • Picked up Civ 5 last night and going to give it a whirle tonight and see how it rolls.
  • Picked up Civ 5 last night and going to give it a whirle tonight and see how it rolls.
    Guess we will not see you until next week?

Guess we will not see you until next week?

Yeah I have a load of work to do and still went ahead with it. I must hate myself or something.

• Ni No Kuni is good. Buy it and play it.
    It's on the wrong console. I play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne instead. Almost the same thing. Both are jrpgs where you get creatures and use them to fight for you.

• Why is your heart full of such filthy lies. Ni No Kuni used Studio Ghibli for animation and such.
  • Finally playing Pushmo. I'm just past the first non-training level. This game is great. You can never go wrong with a cute puzzler.

Has anyone tried Crashmo? How are you liking that? I'll probably get it down the road.
  • Why is your heart full of such filthy lies. Ni No Kuni used Studio Ghibli for animation and such.
    Still not enough for me to buy PS3.

It's on the wrong console. I play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne instead. Almost the same thing. Both are jrpgs where you get creatures and use them to fight for you.

Lets just throw Pokemon in the mix too.
  • I'm playing the meta game of 'get Sony Station Cash for free'. So far it involves cashing in my points from Points2Shop in the form of Walmart gift cards, purchasing 1500 point cards that come with a 500 point additional bonus for buying then at Walmart, and then waiting for a double or triple station cash redemption day to activate them.

Boom. 6000 ($60) in points for one card, and no money spent.
  • Finally playing Pushmo. I'm just past the first non-training level. This game is great. You can never go wrong with a cute puzzler.

Has anyone tried Crashmo? How are you liking that? I'll probably get it down the road.
    My impression of Crashmo is that it's just more of the same. I don't think I'll pick it up until I deplete Pushmo(which will probably take a long while with the insane amount of extra content available).

My impression of Crashmo is that it's just more of the same. I don't think I'll pick it up until I deplete Pushmo(which will probably take a long while with the insane amount of extra content available).
    Yeah, I noticed that too from how much Jeremy has been playing. So many puzzles. It is a nice fill in fix for whenever I wish there were more Picross.
  • I finished playing Dead Space 3 in single player and started playing the campaign in co-op with buddy. I think the bromance between Isaac and Carter may be one of the greatest bromances in the history of vidya games.

Yeah, I noticed that too from how much Jeremy has been playing. So many puzzles. It is a nice fill in fix for whenever I wish there were more Picross.
    Have you finished Picross E2?

OH SHIT. I was unaware of such things. Will have to let Jeremy know about this.

OH SHIT. I was unaware of such things. Will have to let Jeremy know about this.
    FFFFFFFFFF.