This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• That happened to me recently with the anchor toss upgrade so I just quit the level because he's like halfway through and I didn't want to replay the entire level just to get it.
  • The item merchant takes the items he finds mid level and sells them at the shop in the first town, if you can't afford them when you find them.

Also the money system of Shovel Knight is so great. Losing money feels really bad, so you try to avoid it, even when it's basically completely irrelevant. So it gives this illusion of risk associated with failure, without having any actual risk in it.
  • Just went back to complete the Miracle Mask Layton game. I think about 5% of the puzzles elude me even after they are explained. Then there are the annoying ones where the answer involves doing something not barred by the puzzle but is obviously outside of the puzzles instructions.
  • Oh snap, didn't even think to go back and check with him. Guess who's going back and beating that one last side-level tonight.
  • Over the past couple of weeks. I've sunk 30 hours playing Saints Row 4. Haven't had this much fun playing an open world game in a very long time.
  • I just finished SR4. It is without a doubt an inferior game to SR3, but it still has plenty of charm to pull you through. I think the final boss is pretty bad but the ending is a lot of fun.
  • SR4 was a total cock tease, because you only got to play as the President for, like, five minutes.
  • edited July 2014
    SR4 could have use a touch more of destructible enviormments. It kind of annoys me that the gutters on a house are impervious to you super jumping through them. I also want to be able to tear up the asphalt when I'm Flashing through the city.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I went through Legend of Grimrock. Very interesting but ended far too soon for me.
  • I want to finish that game but I got stuck at a point and just gave up. Kinda gets annoying with some of item and switch hunting bullshit.
  • I got stuck a lot. Combat wasn't that great. I hope the sequel is a bit better.
  • Goat Simulator. Stupidly fun, but it really shows that a 2010 MacBook Pro isn't great for games like that. I had to turn down all the settings, and even then it was only just playable.
  • Super hexagon hyper mode. It's supposed to be a joke right?
  • I devoted an entire weekend to hyper hexagonest and beat it. Afterward the rest of the game felt slow.
  • The last mission of Far Cry 3 is kicking my ass so hard, I don't think I'll even bother finishing the game. I can't get past the part where you and your little brother are in the chopper and you have to shoot all the dudes. I always shoot dudes too late, and they blow up the chopper.
  • Have you tried lowering the difficulty?

Complete the Wolf Among Us this weekend. Pretty good overall though each episode followed the same template: location A -> location b -> choose order of visiting location C & D -> location E.

What bothered me is that I kept playing "good" wolf but everything acted like I was always "bad" wolf. In a way I felt that the good/bad choices you make don't have any real impact on the game. Reminds me of how in their first Walking Dead game the choice of person to save in episode one has no real impact on the game and they just nullify the choice I'm chapter three anyways.
  • I played all of TWAU this weekend. I really enjoyed it overall, but from what I've read, not only do people not act differently based on what you do, but the ending always resolves in the same way no matter what.

The former, I could sort of justify. Hammering home the point that you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Try as hard as you can to be peaceful, you will have to fight, and people will hate you. But the entire end sequence of trying to convince people to be on your side seemingly doesn't matter, because if you do it right or wrong, someone comes in at the end to change it at the last moment no matter what. And that's dumb.
  • The thing about TWAU and The Walking Dead is, that as long as you only play it once, and don't dig too deeply on how the playthrough goes on other people, the illusion of meaningful choices is strong. And often a little smoke and mirrors is all that we need in order to be entertained.
  • I understand that. I enjoyed my experience and found it very entertaining. But then reading online shattered the illusion and revealed to me how developers hate to give people different endings. <_<
  • Axel said:

I understand that. I enjoyed my experience and found it very entertaining. But then reading online shattered the illusion and revealed to me how developers hate to give people different endings. <_<</p>

I've only played the first part of TWAU myself, but after that I found myself wondering how different choices would have affected the story, but I also immediately released that it would be a bad idea to find out.

• jmerm said:

I devoted an entire weekend to hyper hexagonest and beat it. Afterward the rest of the game felt slow.

*high five*

• I think there were glitches in the carry over data too. On my main save file I played good cop in the basement scenes yet at the end CM went on an on about how I roughed up Tweedle in the basement.

I roughed him up during a second run through to get all of the fable entries.
  • Enjoyed playing through Thomas Was Alone, a game that beforehand I had no desire to ever play. I'll now purchase anything narrated by Danny Wallace.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Have you tried lowering the difficulty?

Already on easiest setting. I'm kind of embarrassed by this.
  • Greg said:

HMTKSteve said:

Have you tried lowering the difficulty?

Already on easiest setting. I'm kind of embarrassed by this.
    Wait that was the easiest part of that game, I finished it on hard a while ago. Just destroy all the vehicles and barrels that blow up, the helicopters you can either take out by killing the pilots or straight shooting them down.
  • Goat Simulator. Stupidly fun, but it really shows that a 2010 MacBook Pro isn't great for games like that. I had to turn down all the settings, and even then it was only just playable.

Stupidly fun is a very accurate description. This made for a good hour of passing the controls around while people watched from the couch.

We did get stuck though, trying to get the goat to walk on its front hooves for a significant distance. Just could not grasp how to accomplish this from the instruction we were given. Some googling told us that it is much easier with a 360 controller, but another thread said the latest update broke controller support? Oh well.

I can relate to the struggles of computer game performance. It's so hard to justify upgrading when very old computers run so many brand new games so well. You can easily fill your gaming hours with indie games that are cheap, excellent fun, and do not push the hardware. My 5-year-old HTPC is struggling to run Trials Evolution at the lowest possible settings across the board, and generally fails at everything FPS (it barely handled The Stanley Parable and Gone Home).

• I plan on buying a new MacBook Pro next year. Due to so many games now coming out on OSX, I'll probably not even bother making it dual book into windows for gaming. Natural Selection was the only game I ever stuck with long term that wouldn't run on OSX, but I've not played that in well over a year. CS:GO is pretty much all I need for shooty-in-the-face action. Goat Simulator runs on the Unreal Engine (of some kind) and that's fine on OSX now, it seems. Also most indie games are Unity and just work.
  • And I beat FTL!—on Easy with the Kestrel. I have two other ships to play with.
  • I need to wrap up some games. I find myself in the rare position of having started several games and not finished all of them. I beat Pushmo and Shovel Knight on 3DS (both amazing), but am 20% of the way into Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (meh).

It's Steam season though. In the middle of:
    - Octodad (saving this one for play w/ a specific co-op partner)
    - Trials Evolution Gold (137 medals so far, takes 235 to play the final challenge)
    - Papers, Please (my wife loves playing assistant and doesn't want me playing more without her around)
    - Brothers (25% in. It's OK but not calling my name)
  • I have conquered shovel knight, well worth paying full price for that one.