This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

I have no backyard and shitty internet :/ But I still have Karl Marx and Michel Faraday as neighbours!
    I'm at RIT, so I feel I should be faster...Using a wired connection and everything...
  • My school's got alright internet, but the actual dorm internet I had freshman year was voodoo based. There was a fountain outside and the more water was in it, the faster the internet went.
    I'm at RIT, so I feel I should be faster...Using a wired connection and everything...
    I'm currently downloading at 50.4 megabits, I don't know how you and Trogdor got such slow internets.
  • Depends on where you are on campus. Also, remember that this thing doesn't account for the benefits of Internet2. You basically have double for I2-available sources.

Also, your own local PC's performance is a factor. If your network is misconfigured (HDX instead of FDX) or your NIC is shitty or your PC is slow or you've installed a hub or cheap switch, your speeds will by much lower.
  • Thread ruined.
  • I'm currently playing is Civ V and Hearts of Iron III.
  • My internet connection is too slow to download Civ V. Fuuuuuck.
    Take your computer to a friend's house or whatever.
    That won't work for my tower. I'll probably bring my laptop over to a friend's tonight, though.
    Solution: Install Steam on the laptop. Take the laptop to your friend's house. Download & install Civ V on the laptop, regardless of whether it will play or not. Use Steam's ability to back up the local files to offload the Civ V files on the laptop to a removable drive or network share when you get home. Restore the backup on your main PC. Play CIv V, take over the world, and name a city after me while you're at it.
  • Also, been playing Stair Dismount for the iPhone. Not much of a game per se, but I do find it oddly satisfying. Especially after a long day at work.
  • I've been playing magic the gathering and I honestly don't know why.
  • Because it's magical?
  • [BILLIONS OF SPEEDTEST.NET POSTS]
    OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE

Anyway, I got much better speeds in my apartment when wired, obviously.
    Also, remember that this thing doesn't account for the benefits of Internet2. You basically have double for I2-available sources.
    Don't think I've ever used this. What are some I2 sources?
  • Also, remember that this thing doesn't account for the benefits of Internet2. You basically have double for I2-available sources.
    Don't think I've ever used this. What are some I2 sources?
    I read that RIT has an I2 connection, but I don't know how I would go about using and accessing it, or why I would even want to.
  • The RIT Internet 2 connection is automatically routed. I you try to connect to anything that is accessible on I2 you will use it without even knowing it. For a taste try to download some Linux distribution ISO files from MIT.edu.
  • Episode on I2 because people don't know WTF.
  • edited September 2010
    If you can get a hold of the Civ 5 disc version, it activates through steam, so all the install files you need will be on there, even if someone else uses the key from the box. I did the same thing with LD2.

If everyone's downloading CIV 5, why doesn't one person download it then drop the Steam files on a samba share?

Post edited by Omnutia on
  • RymRym
    edited September 2010
    At least I get what I pay for.
    Post edited by Rym on

Not too bad for $50/month.
  • imageahhhh comcast. Your upload sucks
  • As I may have already explicitly stated, here is the map of the world as it exists at the end of my most recent game of EU3.
    I played as the purple blob that surrounds the Eastern Mediterranean, Byzantium. I wasn't able to fully restore the Roman Empire, but damn if I didn't try.
    The fact that Comcast makes me pay $65/month for this is just insulting. I really hope the next place I live has another option.
  • edited September 2010
    Damn, if it wasn't for The Günter, I'd have the shittiest broadband here. Crap broadband is crap, but considering I live in BFE it's the best we can do. If there was any competition in this area, I'd switch in a heartbeat. "Up to 10 Mb/s download", my hairy white ass.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • edited September 2010
    However - I've never actually SEEN that kinda speed out of this connection anywhere other than in that test, my connection can't take a skype call with video, nor will it do bittorrent without choking out to miniscule speeds. Oh, and I'm capped at 50 Gig of total download. Hurry up and end contract, I would like to go to TPG now.

Edit - When I pick a random server in the USA, I'm getting an average more like this -
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Mass Effect: Just beat the first game and it left me impressed. I can see why the game was such a big deal when it was released. The story is incredibly dramatic, the graphics are top notch, and I loved it all around. The only complaints I have are nit-picky. For example, I think that the Mako APC you drive around is too weak, but this may be a result of poor controls on the thing. Pushing forward on the left analog makes you go forward in relation to the camera instead of forward on the body of the vehicle. This means circling or strafing is a major pain in the ass, and results in the tank facing sideways on the screen unable to decide if it wants to go forwards or backwards, and as a side result taking a lot of unnecessary hits from enemies. Another minor complaint is that they have achievements for getting to level 60...but I can't see how this is possible. I hacked everything that was hackable, did a majority of the UNC missions (fuck those missions by the way. You want me to mindlessly wander across your planets until I accidentally stumble across something with no indication of where said thing is? No one has that kind of time, goddamnit.), did as many side quests as I could find, did the DLC that I got as a freebie, and I STILL only hit level 49. I have no idea how the higher levels are attainable.

That being said, I'm starting on Mass Effect 2. It already imported my character and noted which important things happened in the first game. I'm excited.
    Note: this speed will only be this high at this time a day when there are practically no people online. I'll probably do one in the afternoon and in the evening to see how they differ.
  • @MacRoss - You get to 60 on your second or third play through via New Game +. The only reasons to do that are the achievement and you get extra goodies when you start on 2.
  • edited September 2010
    Playing a ton of Halo: Reach. Didn't think I would be sucked into the MP, but I was.
    Post edited by zombie a gogo on