This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack: The 3D thread of 3D awesomeness!

Comments

• @Sail/fun- Thanks. I really want to finish this one so I can't wait to see it finished either.
    @gomi- Yea, someone told me the same. I would get faster as I model more things. Other good advise was to not worry about poly count at the start. Only worry about shape. I think the poly count killed the mojo on the sushi girl. The eyes needed more geometry but I knew I couldn't afford it. I just stopped working on it out of frustration and disappointment. I'm going to model this human character without worrying about a budget. I'll clean it up later. Thanks guys. I have some problem areas that I may ask opinions on later. (5 vert polygons >.< )
  • Gawsh, Mankoon! Someday, let's make a studio together! Weeee! XD XD XD

I'm in a punchy happy 3D mood this morning. I made a pudgy fruit bat critter!
  • Yea! A 3d studio! =D
    I wanted to reply to this the whole day but I was at work. I do wish you could show us that juicy fruit bat. :3
    Here's more work in progress shots. I was worried about the 5 verts and the triangle but I was told that they aren't that bad for games. If it were a high res model it would create dark spots when smoothed. Oh, and I didn't realize the cute shorts I designed for her would be so revealing at certain angles >.>
  • I thought they were shorts and then some slightly longer tights under. Maybe that'll solve your problem.
  • edited December 2009
    I thought they were shorts and then some slightly longer tights under. Maybe that'll solve your problem.
    In the design she has thigh high socks. I think what I'll do is either cut off the geometry so the leg hits a wall at a certain point or fluff up the rim of the shorts. Or I can go with your idea when I play with textures.

@Kate: Like booty which means butt. You have to say it all crazy for it to work. Let Chris Rock possess you for a short moment.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Oh, I know about boo-tay. Boy, do I know about boo-tay!
    I just thought it was funny that you used the phrase.
  • @Kate- Haha, hoo-ray for boo-tay!

More progress. I'm almost done with the modeling part. I'm sending this model to a friend for review since he offered. If everything is cool I'll be moving on to uving.
  • Oh, and I didn't realize the cute shorts I designed for her would be so revealing at certain angles >.>
    I don't see a problem with that.
  • Very, very cool. As someone that has no ability or even true concept as to how you and Emi, and the other 3D animators do what you do, it all appears to be magic from my perspective.
  • Hey, send it to me, too. I want a look see!
  • Avatar made me want to start playing around with 3d art...but I'm to scared to start meddling in that territory.

Halp?
  • Download Blender and mess with it.
  • I meant tutorial wise, I knew about blender, thanks anyways.
  • Avatar made me want to start playing around with 3d art...but I'm to scared to start meddling in that territory.

Halp?
    Hmm... depends on what you want to do. If you want to get into character modeling, here's a tutorial that I can recommend:

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.php

The principles of character modeling pretty much carry over from program to program, you just need to figure out how to access the tools you need.

Halp?
    One good thing as that most 3d people are also tech-y internet people who make a TON of tutorials. If you download Blender, the whole manual is online, in wiki format. Once you get into it, it's actually quite intuitive. I will warn you, though, that during the first few tries with 3d you will want to quit in the worst way. Just stick with it for a week and don't give up, and you'll be glad you did.

Halp?
    Draw... a lot.
  • Draw... a lot.
    Yes. At least, if character modeling is what you're interested in. Drawing is the skill that underlies almost all visual arts -- if you can draw, then painting*, sculpting, 3D, whatever -- it's all little more than learning a new tool.

*Actually, painting is a lot harder because color is a whole other thing, but you still need solid drawing.
  • Draw... a lot.
    Yes. At least, if character modeling is what you're interested in. Drawing is the skill that underlies almost all visual arts -- if you can draw, then painting*, sculpting, 3D, whatever -- it's all little more than learning a new tool.

*Actually, painting is a lot harder because color is a whole other thing, but you still need solid drawing.
    Not being able to draw sucks so hard...
  • I been drawing most of my life, and have done logos for various companies, although logo design and character design don't align much when it comes to the lines drawn on paper.
  • Draw... a lot.

Not being able to draw sucks so hard...
    Ditto
  • That's an odd thing to say. Unless you're missing fingers (or some other disability I couldn't know about), the only thing between you and mad drawing skills is practice.
  • Unless you're missing fingers (or some other disability I couldn't know about), the only thing between you and mad drawing skills is practice.
    For real. Also, many years. :)
  • Yay, I'm finally starting Maya.

And already there is some funky stuff happening...
  • pictures
    You see a well-groomed garden. In the middle, on a small hill, you see a gazebo. What do you do?
  • You see a well-groomed garden. In the middle, on a small hill, you see a gazebo. What do you do?
    xyzzy
  • You see a well-groomed garden. In the middle, on a small hill, you see a gazebo. What do you do?
    I cast fireball and burn that fucker down. Better to be safe than sorry, I learn from my mistakes.
  • I cast fireball and burn that fucker down. Better to be safe than sorry, I learn from my mistakes.
    You have angered the gazebo. If you do not move, it will be upon you in three rounds.
  • This thread seems to be 1-D to me.