This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack: The 3D thread of 3D awesomeness!

Comments

• You've only taught me about idiots.
  • edited August 2011
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Haven't tried it, but tessellation/topology is probably pfeh. Usually stuff like that is good if you aren't watching your poly count, but sometimes you need more control than what stuff like that can give you. Same with the face to 3D stuff. You can use it and then retopologize, though.
  • retopologize
    This word is alien to me.
  • This word is alien to me.
    To redo or modify the topology of a 3d Model.

A vehicle for the Syndicate faction in Paradox, an 80s/Cyberpunk/Roman Empire inspired mercenary megacorperation. Because more things need six-wheeled DeLoreans with railguns.
  • edited December 2011
    My first 3D Modelling project was to make a chess set.

Here's a link to the whole album, including shots of each piece individually uncolored.

Edit: Project is misleading...This was actually an in-class exercise. Got it in Monday, it's due next Monday.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • edited December 2011
    [Moved as this ain't 3D arts]
    Post edited by Ruffas on

This is the Golden Sword from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
    Reference Art (Only reference art):
  • Hey, yo, do you know how to Unwrap UV's yet? Painted textures will make your stuff get better by 2.
  • That's how I did that. I used Cgtextures.com, though, by advice of the teacher. I'm not much of a painter. I did unwrap the UV's though, it was fun.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, I thought you just threw a procedural shader on there. Painted textures look the best on low poly models.
    I did unwrap the UV's though, it was fun.
    Hahahahaaaahahahahaaaahahahahaa! Hahahaha! Ha!
    I am glad you find joy in unlikely places.
    (Actually, I jest. I find UV unwrapping relaxing, if rather boring. It seems that half of the 3D artists I know hate doing a ton of weight painting and the other half can't stand doing UVs.)

Post edited by gomidog on
  • I'm honestly not super interested in painting textures, but UV wrapping was interesting.
  • *looks up "UV unwrapping"*
    Oh!
  • I love doing UV wrapping. It's probably my favourite part. Put on some nice downtempo and have at it, gives me much the same feeling as reading a good book at the end of the day.
  • I'm honestly not super interested in painting textures, but UV wrapping was interesting.
    "I'm not super interested in (insert super necessary 3D production process here.)"
    Good luck ever doing 3D professionally with that attitude.
  • I love doing UV wrapping. It's probably my favourite part. Put on some nice downtempo and have at it, gives me much the same feeling as reading a good book at the end of the day.
    I would not say it is my favorite part, but it is indeed relaxing. I just know a ton of people who go "Today I have to UV stuff. Arg."

"I'm not super interested in (insert super necessary 3D production process here.)"
    Good luck ever doing 3D professionally with that attitude.
    What I mean is, I'm not good at the 2D art. I never said I wanted to be a professional 3D Modeller. This is just a class right now. Maybe I'll get good at doing custom 2D textures and being a good artist. But honestly? I'm not much of an artist and I don't expect to be. Right now, this is just a class that, while fun, would suck if I was sitting around for five hours painting textures. Doing the 2-dimensional art is not something I'm interested in, and honestly, I'm pretty sure most big companies separate out the 3D Modeller from the person doing the texture work anyways. There's a 3D artist AND a texture artist, usually.

• edited December 2011
    Doing the 2-dimensional art is not something I'm interested in, and honestly, I'm pretty sure most big companies separate out the 3D Modeller from the person doing the texture work anyways. There's a 3D artist AND a texture artist, usually.

No. Even at fairly large studios modelling and texturing is often, thought not always, linked. (Rigging and animation are usually separate.) I would not usually consider the reel of a person who did not at least have some texturing ability. So, don't be interested in it. Either make friend with someone who is, or be doomed to cruddy-looking characters/props. Painting does not always mean completely painted from scratch. It can mean using photo textures and adding detail.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • That's what I did with this one, I used a CG Texture that was available for free. But, again, this is why I'm not an artist, it's just a class to give me a skill set in case that's what I decide to focus on.
  • Even if you don't end up making models, it's good to know HOW to when you're developing games. You don't need to be good at it, but understanding how they work, and in a pinch, being able to make them, is a very good idea regardless.
  • I realize this, and I do know how to make models, I'm just saying that I'm not an artist, I'm not very good at Photoshop, and I can get to about the stage of having the unwrapped UV and importing it into an image editor before I just am honestly not sure of how to art. Making really pretty textures is the job of an artist, a job I will not get hired for. I won't try to be a 3D modeller, or to get hired as a character artist. I realize this limits my potential, but I am not an artist, nor have I ever wanted to be. I have a bevy of other useful skills I'm developing, and while I know enough about 3D modelling to be proficient, and can apply textures in Photoshop as needed, I'm never going to be a good enough texture painter to make something beautiful, because it's just outside of my skill set. I did the modelling on my sword by myself, unwrapped the UV's, and then prepared them in Photoshop with textures from CG Textures. My job isn't to go in and use Photoshop like an expert to make the textures look good, it's just to show that I can use all these tools to put together a model.
  • Fair enough. As long as you know the pipeline, I think that is the most important part. That's why I initially asked about UVs, because that's how most game textures are done (versus procedural texture materials, which I what I took the gold texture for at first.)
    You are doing fairly well for a beginner, so that's all good.
    Never discount knowledge, though. Don't say "I'm not interested" and leave it at that. If I had done that, I would not have gotten into 3D in the first place and would be stuck doing only 2D animation.
  • Understandable, but having done work with 2D, I know that I find the process...Unbearable, and that I'm not particularly good at color design...
  • Also, I realized I spelled "modeling" wrong in my previous post, which is way more of a fail because it is kinda my job.
  • Also, I realized I spelled "modeling" wrong in my previous post, which is way more of a fail because it is kinda my job.
    You didn't spell it wrong, you spelled it British/Canadian.

• Phew. No wonder I was confused.
  • I am in your speech patterns, influencing your words.
  • HAY GUYZ! DAZ 3D and Bryce are for free today as a promotion.
    Get them here
    Not the top of the line software, but why not test them out, eh? Nothing to lose except a little free time.