This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack: The 3D thread of 3D awesomeness!

Comments

• Niiiice. I am doing more Zbrush stuff these days, but I am still a beginner.
    Man, I need to do more things I can post here. It is always dodgy when you are working on professional stuff, even though my studio is pretty relaxed about NDA. As long as I get permission to put stuff on the internet before I post it and let them know where I posted it, it's usually good.
  • I've decided to work on making an NS2 map. Here is the first room I've started working on. I'm mainly trying to practice in building clean geometry and figuring how to layout a nice room. I don't have any real formal training in this type of stuff, so I'm mainly playing by ear.

Some super basic lighting for reference
  • edited March 2012
    While this isn't really 3d modelling, just texture modification and model copy-pasting, I thought I'd share the fun I've been having fun with the Just Cause 2 mod tools.
    Post edited by Pegu on

Rendered an old game model all fancy-like for my portfolio.
  • What resolution is your skybox? It is super pixelated! I would composite the plane on top of something else.
  • Yeah it's a crappy skybox. It's just a placeholder til I'm done painting my own.
  • You rendered the plane out with an alpha, right? You can just swap them out easily, then, unless you are doing faithful ray-traced reflections in the metal.
  • Nah, I just rendered like this because it just takes a minute, and I've got some bloom going.
  • Where are all the 3D stereograms I thought would be in this thread?
  • I've decided to work on making an NS2 map. Here is the first room I've started working on. I'm mainly trying to practice in building clean geometry and figuring how to layout a nice room. I don't have any real formal training in this type of stuff, so I'm mainly playing by ear.
    When you're first blocking out a level the only thing you should be focusing on is the flow of play. Start with a rough sketch of the layout, and when you begin making level geometry leave out anything that doesn't significantly effect gameplay. The purpose of this is to keep the level flexible as you test and revise the layout; fiddling with any geometry that is more complex than it needs to be is a pain in the ass early on.
  • Yeah, I just block out with primitives to get the scale and flow of levels right. That way you can put the final pretty art in later and you have something to base it off of. Very efficient, kind of like doing a wireframe diagram of some UI or something.
  • There's nobody on my MSN I can brag to about this texture, so I'm going here instead.

I'm just unreasonably proud of it. I decided I wanted to see how much I could do with transparent surfaces, so that whole assembly on the back of the truck is basically a box and some intersecting planes.

• Nice work, very cool.
  • I will warn you that sometimes such alpha maps have depth sorting issues depending on what engine you are on, but it looks pretty good. Good job!
    The one critique I would make is don't make the rivets so regular and so numerous. Apply them sparingly where things connect. The less repetition in the texture, I think the more interesting it tends to be.
    Did you use reference?
  • edited October 2012
    I used a mismatch of references of various period Soviet trucks, but nothing specific; the aim for these units is usually to be sort of a characature of common or iconic vehicles rather than accurate reproduction. Actual Katyusha trucks actually look really strange because they plate the windows and add all kinds of gizmos to prevent the backblast of the rocket from melting bits off, so they cease looking like cool trucks and start looking like art installations. In a silly game like Red Alert, that just won't do.

As for rivets, I'll watch for that in the future. The existing Soviet textures already overuse them so I was just like, welp, time to put these on everything! In hindsight, I should have used them more sparingly, but it looks good enough ingame that I'm not going to stress. I have like, 30 more of these to do after all!

Here's a pretty promo render of it.

Post edited by open_sketchbook on

The Dog enemy from BLOODCRUSHER, and the first time I've seriously rigged something in what feels like ages. It's adorabloodthirsty!
  • I liek making guns.

• Ooh, I like that gun a lot. The big round barrel shroud makes it look kinda retro in a great way.
  • I'm currently working on a physical 3D object!

This is after 3 hours worth of work yesterday.

This is after an afternoon's worth of work today.

And I'm trying to make this look like this girl.

My biggest fear right now is that there maybe to many air bubbles inside of it, so when I fire it, I'll have to be sure to take it really slow so it won't explode.

The most messed up thing about this is that when I decided to work on this, I thought "Man, I need something simple to do just so I can get back into this... Let's do the hardest thing instead!"

She's not finished, but if there is any good critique I can get, especially regarding her proportions and the arch of her back(I'll provide a picture of that tomorrow) it would be greatly appreciated.
  • My biggest fear right now is that there maybe to many air bubbles inside of it, so when I fire it, I'll have to be sure to take it really slow so it won't explode.
    Is this for a class or for fun? If you're worried about it exploding, you could make a plaster mold of it while green, slipcast and fire a copy.
  • LOL Sketchbook, what's with the blade underneath?
  • It's a gatling gun with a bayonet. That's perfectly reasonable.

We have a Borderlands-style random gun generator, so I'm making sure to stick knives, chainsaws and and rusty spikes on absolutely everything.
  • It's a gatling gun with a bayonet. That's perfectly reasonable.
    Hey man, you never know when you just gotta stab a dude with your Gatling-bayonet.

Even better - if the Bayonet was not attached to the body, but each barrel had a bayonet, that spun with the barrels.
  • We considered it, but it would have complicated part generation significantly. So instead we went for adding chainsaws and/or buzzsaws.