This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack: The 3D thread of 3D awesomeness!

12345679»

Comments

• I figured there was a reason, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be totally fucking ridiculous. And by ridiculous, I mean totally sweet.
  • What we can do is make a chaingun barrel which has knives already built in. And by "can" I mean "I'm opening my 3d program right now."
  • What we can do is make a chaingun barrel which has knives already built in. And by "can" I mean "I'm opening my 3d program right now."
    I'm gonna gay marry the shit out of you.
  • I keep trying to put bayonets on my guns, and my boss yells at me for wasting time.
  • Bayonets are never a waste of time.

Not original, but it was easy to make and I was bored. (Autodesk Alias)

I particularly like this baddie, so I made a gif of it.
  • That is rad as heck.
  • That is one interesting baddie.
  • That is pretty damn awesome.
  • Looks like something from a nightmare version of Banjo Kazooie.
  • Omnutia said:

Looks like something from a nightmare version of Banjo Kazooie.

I was actually thinking of the robot boss from Conker's Bad Fur Day the whole time. It's sort of a super-aggressive miniboss enemy; it chases you around (has a neat musical cue while it does so) and tries to eat you, and if you manage to confuse it's pathfinder or get too far away it hoses you down with bullets/rockets.

Gonna make a few variations on it with like... sweet tesla stuff and whatever.
  • edited April 2014
    I was messing around from Unity this weekend and doing some tutorials. They provide all the assets for the tutorials so I don't have to do any modeling. I also wasn't sure if you could do any modeling in Unity. Turns out you pretty much can't. You can make primitives but doesn't seem like you can do much but basic xyz manipulation on them. I was looking into software if I was to try and make some of my own assets. I have experience with Maya but it seems like 3ds Max is the more common software for video game assets. It also seems like Blender is pretty popular too. My question is whether Blender is going to be to 3ds Max what Gimp is to Photoshop. I have used Photoshop for a long time and I can't stand using Gimp. Part of it is that I don't know it as well, but PS just works better and is easier to use most of the same time.

EDIT: Part of the issue too is that I don't know the benefits towards game development as well. Like I couldn't tell you why 3ds Max is more commonly used than Maya for game development. I would assume the tools but I have no idea really.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • A coworker commissioned me to make a mini version of the Larry O'Brian trophy. The basketball that goes on the top is printed separately, so it's not included in this image.
  • Okay for one, Maya is commonly used in game dev (that's what we use at the studio.) Blender is difficult to get used to, but it is pretty fully featured. Comparing it to the Autodesk software is hard, because when taking into account all the plug-ins and stuff you can get for Maya and 3ds Max, you can get incredibly specialized. Blender is sort of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, but if you are a new person who doesn't want to spend a lot of money, it will be more than sufficient for your needs. There is also a cloud subscription of limited Maya Indie for 70 bucks a month if you really want to learn the interface.
    My advice is stick with Blender. Good community, totally free, kinda confusing but not the worst.

Two, Unity is an engine, not an asset creation software. Usually things are coded, modeled, and animated elsewhere and Unity is just where everything gets put when you are finished making your assets. Think of it like compositing software or something - it's what makes it all fit together.
  • Right, I understood after a quick look that Unity won't let me create assets. I did a bit of research since posting and had found what you told me where people use Maya pretty commonly which was not what I'd originally thought. I've been looking into Maya LT as well which is advertised as a cheaper version of Maya geared a bit more towards indie game development. Maybe I'll consider that but it's also still somewhat expensive. A monthly subscription with a 12 month commitment would be $900. Maybe I'll give Blender a try though, but I'll also just try the trial versions of Maya and Maya LT. Thanks for the info though!
  • Actually, I was mistaken. Maya LT 12 month subscription is $600. Unity 12 month lease license is $900.
  • Recently got interested in the nsimulation of cloths and particles and took a module in school to try it out. Made a model for it too and it came out better than expected.

photo TheOracle_zps22097c02.png

Question for gomidog: regarding the use of simulations in engines like Unity, does the engine itself create the simulations, or is it simply, like an asset, imported via pre rendered animation sequences? Would Maya's nsimilation translate over?
  • As far as I know, you'd need to set up new simulations with Unity tools (there are cloth add-ons for Unity) or bake the simulations and export for Unity.