This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack: The 3D thread of 3D awesomeness!

Comments

• WIDTH=640

WIDTH=640

I made a Zbrush tank. Everyone keeps telling me that hard surface modelling in zbrush is a pain, but I just don't see it. With the clipping brushes and dynamesh it was a damn sight easier than maya would have been.
  • Wow, really? I just thought that Zbrush typically was a pain for hard surface stuff, and so I always use Maya! I have only used Zbrush for organic things so far, but maybe I should challenge myself.
  • It's tricky to start with. Use dynamesh at a high resolution, combined with the clipping brushes. Transpose combined with masks allows you to pull out raised areas like the armor plates on the front and sides.
  • WIDTH=480
    WIDTH=480

The objective of this project was to make a mech in the style of battletech.
  • That mech must be in a constant state of tipping over, either from it's own imbalance or from the kickback of the rockets firing.

Still, looks cool. Can't wait to see it with the texture.
  • edited March 2012
    Actually looks like the rockets firing could plausibly be absorbed by the legs. But yeah, they're too far back to keep that thing from tipping forward. ALSO TEEEEEENY TINY BABBY FEET.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I had the idea that the body was put so far forward to help absorb the recoil of firing the main gun up top, but I may have gone a bit far.
  • You have gone too far yes. Also, the feet look fine from the side, but from the front they are fucking narrow. You would want to spread the weight of the entire mech over a much larger area, otherwise even a simple dirt hill would be like quicksand.
  • I'd try mounting the body just a little lower on the legs - don't have to change the overall length, just shift it down, keeps the center of gravity lower, and it would also enable that main gun to turn without knocking off the missile battery doors. Those feet really do need to be wider - like bird feet, that would make sense. Give it some toes.
  • width=
    width=

And here you are.
  • edited March 2012
    It's got chicken legs!

Post edited by Sail on
  • The feet should probably be about twice that big. Walkers need to spread their weight over as large an area as possible.
  • The feet should probably be about twice that big. Walkers need to spread their weight over as large an area as possible.
    "TEENY TINY BABBY FEET" didn't clue him in. Or he has no idea how large baby feet are compared to adult feet. He don' listen very well.
  • I made them bigger, and they just looked awkward. I'll just pick up my toys and go home! (snif)
  • I made them bigger, and they just looked awkward. I'll just pick up my toys and go home! (snif)
    No! Don't you do that shit in here. Show us! More heads might spot why it looks awkward, or whether you're just crazy. The latter is quite possible, since we're all crazy here.
  • Confirmed. You're crazy.
  • Haha, yeah, looks fine to me.
  • edited March 2012
    It's the front toe that is too small. It need to be as large, or larger than the rear support of the foot, especially with the amount of weight that the mech has forward of it's center of gravity.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Looks cool to me.
  • Battletech tends to have slightly more... unrealistically humanized/archaic looking vehicles. But yeah, that looks relatively similar in features to a "catapult" or whatever the real name of that mech is supposed to be.
  • Allright, I promise this is the last one for a while.

width=
    width=
    width=

The concept is a heavily armoured soldier equipped for fighting on the surface of the moon. The gun is just a placeholder, the final will be more like a heavy machine gun.
  • Call me crazy if you must, but I like the one with bigger feet. Gives it a more solid look, rather than the smaller feet, which make it look like it's perching.
  • That solid looks fantastic.
    Fuck no. Post more. That's awesome. Maybe bend his fingers around the gun? Or is the HMG going to require more repositioning of the arms anyway?

• So, my final project for my 3D class was due a while ago, but I never posted pictures. I worked with a group to make a spaceship interior. Pretty cool. Did the cockpit and one connecting room.

Yes, all of the screens are blue-screening. We were bored. Also, the wheel rotates. They all give off the proper-colored light.

I love Unity.
    Fuck no. Post more. That's awesome. Maybe bend his fingers around the gun? Or is the HMG going to require more repositioning of the arms anyway?

The HMG will probably require me to completely repose his arms. I need to re-do the hands anyway. This guy is very much a WIP.

width=
    width=
    width=
    width=

Standard airship inspired from "Skies of Arcadia".
  • edited March 2012
    width=
    width=
    width=

A more finished version of the moon soldier.

Please let me know if my constant posting is getting irritating.
    Post edited by Lord Mordrek on
  • No, it's awesome. I need to start posting zbrush stuff too!
  • width=
    width=
    width=

This is about as finished as it is ever going to be.