This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• I don't know who any of those people are.
    If you're a DJ and you don't know Deadmau5, Benny Benassi, LCD Soundsystem, or Infected Mushroom, educate yo-self.

You are going to dig LCD so hard if you like Daft Punk.
    Oh Man, My bad. I must have missed them. Course I know Benassi and the lot. Benassi is a big part of my standard playlist.
  • edited January 2010
    Boo-Yah: I said this to a friend:
    "Australia should just become a province of China, then we'd at least get some stuff cheaply..."

Fail: It's pretty much true.

Explanation: For those who don't know the deal, it's a poke at both censorship in Australia, and the high prices on technology (particularly video games).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited January 2010
    Boo-Yah: I said this to a friend:
    "Australia should just become a province of China, then we'd at least get some stuff cheaply..."

Fail: It's pretty much true.

Explanation:For those who don't know the deal, it's a poke at both censorship in Australia, and the high prices on technology (particularly video games).
    For the Gaijin who don't understand - An xbox game - regular, normal, non collectors edition game in the green DVD case - $120 dollars. the original guitar hero - 150. I saw Rockband being advertised for $200 before I left.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Boo-yah: My school is interviewing candidates for graphic design professors. Students are allowed to attend and ask them questions.
    Fail: I can't attend their presentations in their entirety due to a mandatory printmaking class occurring around the same time this interviews do.
  • Boo Yah: New computer is going to be the hotness.
    Fail: I'll probably be using it at shit resolution on my TV for a couple months while I save for a new monitor.
  • edited January 2010
    mandatory printmaking class
    How mandatory?
    Boo Yah: New computer is going to be the hotness.
    Fail: I'll probably be using it at shit resolution on my TV for a couple months while I save for a new monitor.
    That is potentially foolish, since your computer will be decreasing in value for all that time you're using it sub-optimally.
  • edited January 2010
    That is potentially foolish, since your computer will be decreasing in value for all that time you're using it sub-optimally.
    Well, I'll pop for a new monitor now then...I'm just cringing at the price.

However, sometimes, we must make sacrifices. And a monitor is about equal to the price of a hardcover textbook. Got any good recommendations?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Got any good recommendations?
    Steal your textbooks.
  • Well, it's very much a matter of funds. For one thing, I don't recommend you follow Scott's advice if you're short on funds. I'd recommend you get something cheap, but with a resolution of at least 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. I can't make specific recommendations right now, though.
    Steal your textbooks.
    Hah, no, the reason I have computer money is because almost none of my classes needed textbooks. I need recommendations on a cheap but good monitor. Inb4 "Ultrasharp" because I don't have the cash.
    Steal your textbooks.
    Yeah, personally I stopped buying textbooks after my first year of university, when I realised I wasn't even using them anyway.
  • edited January 2010
    Got any good recommendations?
    Steal your textbooks.
    Hah, no, the reason I have computer money is because almost none of my classes needed textbooks. I need recommendations on a cheap but good monitor. Inb4 "Ultrasharp" because I don't have the cash.
    Well, here's an example Newegg power search for monitors with the resolution I suggested (i.e. capable of 1080p).

As Scott was saying, the cheaper TN panels you'll be looking at will have 18-bit colour (262,144 colours), though they will almost always claim to have the full 16,777,216 (24-bit) due to dithering. On the other hand, TN panels have the fastest response times.
  • edited January 2010
    I'm going with this, possibly a Hanns-G that's three more inches for ten more bucks. The only downside of the Hanns-G is that it's contrast ratio is 15000:1 vs the LG's 30000:1.
  • edited January 2010
    Some further advice - most of these cheaper LCDs will actually be using the same panel. The manufacturer of the monitor matters little compared to the manufacturer of the panel, you see. The main differences is that some brands might offer better connectivity, an adjustable stand, a better warranty, and better firmware. Do your research before you pay more money for the same product (I haven't looked at the latest monitors, though I knew my stuff a couple of years ago).

Also, note that you can get a 24" screen for around $200, which isn't much for a jump in size. For example, this screen seems to have 5 eggs average on Newegg with 927 reviews. I can't vouch for it myself, so again I'd recommend further research on the specific technologies in use.
  • How would you recommend researching the panel, etc.?
  • To research panels, this is a good place to start:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm
  • I might add - the amount of different colours it can display - not per pixel, in general - becomes a non-issue at the higher end, because the human eye, if I remember correctly, is only capable of perceiving 10 million or so different colours. I could be Utterly, utterly wrong, however.
  • edited January 2010
    That Asus looks solid; the rate of return seems like an acceptable risk. I'm not sure how I feel about the "grey lines after several months," though; however, other monitors using the same panel (albeit with a lower response time) don't seem to have the issue.
  • As I mentioned before, 18 bits = 262,144 colours; 24 bits = 16,777,216 colours. Dithering complicates matters, though. It would seem that 6-bit panels with dithering often claim to have 16.2m colours, which isn't quite the full 16.7m. This article has a lot of detail on the topic, though it's mostly speculative and getting rather old.
  • edited January 2010
    That Asus looks solid; the rate of return seems like and acceptable risk. I'm not sure how I feel about the "grey lines after several months," though; however, other monitors using the same panel (albeit with a lower response time) don't seem to have the issue.
    This is probably just a statistical thing; the ASUS has had a greater variety of issues due to being bought so many times. Any product is sometimes defective; it's a matter of how large or small that fraction is.
    other monitors using the same panel (albeit with a lower response time) don't seem to have the issue.
    A lower response time tends to imply a different panel. You searched for M236H1-L01 on TFT Central? What I found was a few that specified a response time of 5ms, and others that specified 2ms GTG. Any monitor will have faster grey-to-grey response time; the 5ms is a full colour transition test. Consequently, the 5ms and 2ms GTG are not contradictory.
  • edited January 2010
    See, I didn't know what GTG went.

Alright, the ASUS it is. But goddamn, I am spending more money than I ever intended on this project...in general.
  • edited January 2010
    Another thing to note for anyone interested in a non-TN panel, one of the major distinguishing factors is the viewing angle. TN panels will have 170/160 (or less in one or both); most other technologies offer 170/170 degrees or 178/178 degrees. Alternatively, anything with 5ms or less response time is almost certain to be TN, while anything with 6ms or more probably isn't.

Another source: The LCD Thread (AnandTech forums)

EDIT:
    After some research, there's some reasonably priced non-TN-based monitors, but not many.
    Dell 2209WA - 22", 1680x1050 $300
    NEC EA231WMi - 23", 1920x1080 $320
    Samsung F2380 - 23", 1920x1080 $330
    Dell U2410 - 24", 1920x1200 $550
    HP L2475W - 24". 1920x1200 $550
    If you can get the older Dell 2408WFP, that's a good one too, though it will still set you back nearly $500.

In any case, on your budget, most of these are just too expensive. Others might have some interest in this little off-topic conversation, though, so I will say that the NEC EA231WMi seems like a really good deal; a full HD IPS panel for only $320.
  • Is this now three threads that have become nothing more than discussions of computer monitors?
  • I just drove 25 minutes and stood in line in the ball-freezing cold...for free Chipotle.
  • I just drove 25 minutes and stood in line in the ball-freezing cold...for free Chipotle.
    Yesterday, I paid $7.00 to wait zero minutes in a nice, warm place to get Chipotle from one of the three within walking distance of my office.

Or.

I just drove 25 minutes and stood in line in the ball-freezing cold...for your mom.
  • Yesterday, I paid $7.00 to wait zero minutes in a nice, warm place to get Chipotle from one of the three within walking distance of my office.
    Yeah, but mine was free. That makes it better.
  • It cost you 25 minutes of your time and introduced an unnecessary health risk. It was not free.
  • It cost you 25 minutes of your time and introduced an unnecessary health risk. It was not free.
    I'm not at risk from the cold. Well, my balls were, but they survived.
  • I'm not at risk from the cold.
    Quoted for truth. This is a man who wore shorts year-round in Rochester while lesser men like myself simply perished on the quarter mile.