This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Heroes of Newerth - I have beta keys available to give.

Comments

• It has more maps, new game modes, and while most of the characters are taken almost directly from DotA, it introduces some new characters, powers, and items. It also has better co-op functionality using voice, better graphics, better solutions for disconnects and people being assholes, and the ability tor econnect to a game if you get disconnected unintentionally.
    Well, basically every DoTA clone has done this. League of Legends is out and free right now, and Demigod came out about 6 months ago (I think). Both have all kinds of different heroes, powers, upgrades, items, etc. I was wondering if this was just a polished DoTA or if it tried to push the boundaries and bring something new to the table.
  • It has more maps, new game modes, and while most of the characters are taken almost directly from DotA, it introduces some new characters, powers, and items. It also has better co-op functionality using voice, better graphics, better solutions for disconnects and people being assholes, and the ability to reconnect to a game if you get disconnected unintentionally.
    Well, basically every DoTA clone has done this. League of Legends is out and free right now, and Demigod came out about 6 months ago (I think). Both have all kinds of different heroes, powers, upgrades, items, etc. I was wondering if this was just a polished DoTA or if it tried to push the boundaries and bring something new to the table.
    This one is, in essence, DotA 2.0. It was done with the explicit blessing of the creators of the original mod and keeps closer to the original game than any of the other games I have seen. I've seen Demigod and wasn't impressed, and haven't seen LoL (ha, LoL) so I can't speak of that one.
  • Damn it, I should of looked at the thread,

Oh well, at least Scott got it
  • edited November 2009
    My boyfriend has 63 beta keys for Hon that are up for grabs. Don't hesitate to ask for them!
    Eljoe, do you need one?
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Yeah that would be great! Give him a hug from me (could you ask him to send it to joe@threeboys.co.uk)
  • I passed along the hug and you should now have the key. He was mistaken, he had 3 keys. He has 2 left.
  • Honestly, I'd happily pick up HoN over LoL anyday.

LoL's heroes are quite unbalanced (which isn't helped by the fact that you have to BUY the overpowered heroes), the Rune System and Ongoing character stat system gives people advantages/disadvantages from the get-go, and I can't really stand the Art Style for this type of game.
  • It has more maps, new game modes, and while most of the characters are taken almost directly from DotA, it introduces some new characters, powers, and items. It also has better co-op functionality using voice, better graphics, better solutions for disconnects and people being assholes, and the ability to reconnect to a game if you get disconnected unintentionally.
    This one is, in essence, DotA 2.0. It was done with the explicit blessing of the creators of the original mod and keeps closer to the original game than any of the other games I have seen. I've seen Demigod and wasn't impressed, and haven't seen LoL (ha, LoL) so I can't speak of that one.
    Well I definitely didn't mean I loved either one, but I didn't realize this was with the DoTA creator's blessing.

Can someone throw me a beta key? Vhdblood@gmail.com
  • Honestly, I'd happily pick up HoN over LoL anyday.

LoL's heroes are quite unbalanced (which isn't helped by the fact that you have to BUY the overpowered heroes), the Rune System and Ongoing character stat system gives people advantages/disadvantages from the get-go, and I can't really stand the Art Style for this type of game.
    Micro-transactions in a game like that would make it fail utterly. No one wants to play a game where "he who spent the most real money wins", except people with the most money.
  • Maybe we should have an IDShare for this??
  • edited November 2009
    My name in Hon is Megamanky (I don't play very much). Vhdblood, you should get one shortly. One key left! Scott, would you want a key for your brother?
  • Vhdblood is the name, downloading now. Thanks to you Mankoon, and your boyfriend. Hugs all around. :D
  • Man, I think the community around this game is shit, don't understand what a new player is or just like to be douchebags..... I join a "N00bs only" game and guess what, I get kicked for being a n00b
  • edited November 2009
    Like I said, there is a steep learning curve, and most of the community is absurdly intolerant.
    I will see if I have time available either one of the evenings this week or this weekend sometime, and we can do a crash-course.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • There is no tutorial or single-player mode. I have no idea what to do. Someone who knows something, contact me so we can play.
  • I've played some DoTA-esque stuff before and I'm about to try this one out. We can try to figure it out together if you'd like?
  • Well, maybe we can get a game in right now? We can help Scott out, and help some of us noobs get up to par.
  • Sounds like a plan, and we should also have a Geeknights Clan.

Also, the servers are down right now, with no ETA on when they're coming up. You can only login to the lobby.
  • Actually, we can use the practice server. I'm creating a game, message my username Vhdblood when you get online.
  • I want to try my hand at this. Anyone got a key anymore? Am I too late?
  • edited November 2009
    Nope you're not too late, Viga. My boyfriend still has a key but he shut his PC down. I'll get him to send you an invite tomorrow. I'll have him send it to the email in your Id page.
  • Waterispoison, VentureJ, Scott, and Me just got done playing. I really enjoyed the game, and it seemed very balanced.

Also, Scott and I beat WiP and Venture. Panda/Tree/Hammer Dude power!
  • edited November 2009
    Dude, it was INCREDIBLY close. It was down to the wire, and at any moment either of us could have won.

What a blast, though! Can't wait to play with you guys more often!
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Yeah, that was a damn good game. I'm definitely going to have to play this some more before I can pass some judgement on it.
  • If anyone wants to play a game or two, I'm always logged into Skype, so just throw me a message. (Skype name is Vhdblood)
  • edited November 2009
    I'm going to be busy tonight and probably tomorrow, but depending on weather or not Kate want's me at her show Friday, I may be able to play/coach then.
    EDIT: I am available this evening for coaching and playing.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited November 2009
    Scott and I want to play tonight (i.e. very soon). Skype me if you want in.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'm joining in.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm Vigaviolet on there. It's my first time playing any game like this. It's...overwhelming. Is there a place to find out what the controls are? I can't find it on there.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Is anyone else having the problem when you comp will restart after playing for awhile? It's happened to me 3 times.