This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Santa Row Crew (Forum Secret Santa Sign-up)

Comments

• Still no gift. It is almost March. I hope it didn't get lost in the mail.
    Same here. I'm not complaining though.
  • Okay, maybe it's time the senders got in contact with their respective recipients.
  • I sent mine, yet Alan decided not to answer...

Tsk tsk.
  • Hmmm. With what happened to some people, will this be a good idea for next year. I liked it, but...
  • Hmmm. With what happened to some people, will this be a good idea for next year. I liked it, but...
    I think if we planned it earlier like beginning of November possibly. I wouldn't mind doing it again. It motivates me to work on a new project.
    I think if we planned it earlier like beginning of November possibly. I wouldn't mind doing it again. It motivates me to work on a new project.
    Same here. What I originally planned couldn't get done since I was working long days and prepping for school. I'm glad my santa loved it and I would want to do it again.
  • I also liked a lot, I need to start painting more now that I have the utensils.
  • I enjoyed it, but I felt it was rushed. It was kind of a last-minute thing, and we did ok with what time we had. If we started it earlier, and could define exactly what we're doing (send a note with your gift, when to tell your santee who you are, deadlines, etc) that would be better.

Discipline! That is what is needed!
    All those who haven't send out their gifts are barred from participating this year. Next year is kinda... late? Unless it's supposed to be bi-annual.
  • I would definitely like to do this again. It was fun and my gift was awesome.
  • I would definitely like to do this again. It was fun and my gift was awesome.
    And ahead of the trend?
  • edited February 2010
    I doubt I will participate again. I liked giving a gift a lot, but it is really disappointing when it is almost March an no gift has been returned.
    I by no means want to sound ungrateful or petulant, but here is some advice for the future:
    It seems that a lot of people planned to give a hand crafted gift and these gifts were too time consuming to actually be complete anywhere near the holiday. Instead of rethinking their plan and purchasing a gift, they opted for waiting until they had time to complete the gift. I understand the thoughtfulness behind wanting to give a neat one-of-a-kind gift, but there is a point where the gift giver is disregarding the thoughtfulness of giving a timely gift.
    In addition, some people had issues with shipping owing to international shipping or returned packages.
    At the point where it is clear that the gift will be delayed due to construction time, shipping problems, or life getting in the way it would be thoughtful if the gift giver got in contact with the organizer of the SS to have them contact the giftee and let them know the gift will be delayed, but that the giftee has not been forgotten. This would keep the giftee from being disappointed when no gift arrives for weeks on end.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'll participate again, but we need to start this the first week in November. Hold sign-ups for one week, no late additions, and have at.

Neito, you should just post the matrix of Santas and Santees. At this point, there are very few viable excuses for not having gotten someone a gift.
  • edited February 2010
    it would be thoughtful if the gift giver got in contact with the organizer of the SS to have them contact the giftee
    What has the Schutzstaffel got to do with this?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It worked out for me. My person got my little gift and seemed to like it, and I really liked the comic I got, so I'd be up for doing it again. I was happy that I figured out who sent it. Rym didn't participate, but Scott did, and he is one of the hangers back. I told him what he should get the person, but he seems bleh.

One thing I think is that you have to be above a certain post count in order to participate. In other words, a forum regular. One of the gripes I heard was that some people who signed up had, like, five posts in total, no one knew who they were, and they got their gift and disappeared.
  • I'd like to say 'no' but only because I really can't participate. A lot of red flags would be raised by me sending packages to people in other countries.
  • I'd like to say 'no' but only because I really can't participate. A lot of red flags would be raised by me sending packages to people in other countries.
    If that's the case, then Neito can make sure you have someone that is within the United States.
    That's why I would do it if they were in this country. Sorry, international folks.
  • One thing I think is that you have to be above a certain post count in order to participate. In other words, a forum regular. One of the gripes I heard was that some people who signed up had, like, five posts in total, no one knew who they were, and they got their gift and disappeared.
    I know SASS (Something Awful Secret Santa, which I based our Secret Santa off of) has a regdate requirement: You have to have reged before the October of the year you want to participate in, or something like that. I think I'll do something similar next year.
    WTF? Why? I send stuff to Japan all the time. Does that mean I am on the terror list?
  • Yay! I got word that my gift is being sent! ^_^
  • WTF? Why? I send stuff to Japan all the time. Does that mean I am on the terror list?
    Oh heavens no, it's because of my job.
  • All those who haven't send out their gifts are barred from participatingthisyear.
    I like this idea. If somebody failed both to send and explain themselves, they shouldn't be allowed next time.

I -think- I'll do it next time. I prefer this sort of thing when it's someone I know, and this whole forum thing leaves me with the chance that I'll get someone I don't know. I wasn't so unlucky this time around though. :) My exchange involved no goyim.
    I told him what he should get the person, but he seems bleh.
    I sent him an email with tips too. :P
    Oh heavens no, it's because of my job.
    And here I was wondering what sort of wanted list you'd gone and gotten yourself onto.... George's dark past.
  • That's the way we did it in the other forum I go to. The people who failed last year weren't allowed to participate the next time. Simple enough.
  • One thing I think is that you have to be above a certain post count in order to participate. In other words, a forum regular. One of the gripes I heard was that some people who signed up had, like, five posts in total, no one knew who they were, and they got their gift and disappeared.
    I had a hard time finding information on my santee. They just didn't post much on the forum. Like, at all. Still haven't heard if my guy got his gift.

I DO like my gift, but I do not know who sent it. Secret Santa, if you are reading this, my scarf is awesome!

Also, I think a hybrid approach of post count/frequency would be appropriate rather than just post count. If you are new but have been participating regularly, that shouldn't bar you from being in the SS. However, if you have been here for 3 years and have 15 posts, I would be skeptical about having you sign up. This is supposed to be a community thing.

Anyway, here is a crappy phone picture of what I sent, because I love it and want to share:
  • George's dark past.
    More like George's dark present... Nah it's just having relations with foreign nationals would be annoying.
  • Just so you know, George, there was an option whether or not to have a Santee that required international shipping.
  • More like George's dark present... Nah it's just having relations with foreign nationals would be annoying.
    That would be quite inconvenient for me. Being forced to forgo relations with foreign nationals would be very strange.
  • Alright. So I don't have to dig through the thread (lazy), if you HAVE NOT gotten your present by tonight, email me ( neito@nerdramblingz.com ) and let me know. I still have the list of who's got who, so I can figure out who to ask for explanations.

That said, should I make available that list so that everyone can see who had who for secret santa? Or maybe just a list of the "deadbeats"?
  • That said, should I make available that list so that everyone can see who had who for secret santa? Or maybe just a list of the "deadbeats"?
    List deadbeats for sure. Let the others who actually did stuff unveil themselves if they want/haven't already.