This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• So it uses many quotes and references from other movies.
    I watch that movie seemingly around once a week and I never noticed any references to other movies besides a few very hard to spot references to other Disney movies.
  • So it uses many quotes and references from other movies.
    I watch that movie seemingly around once a week and I never noticed any references to other movies besides a few very hard to spot references to other Disney movies.
    To me it was very blatant.

Here's Will Smith: wav - I can't find a clip on YouTube.

Compared to:

About a minute after this, they run through a door, and they drop the frying pan. As the "door" comes smashing down, our hero reaches back through and picks it up. This is a very clear reference to Indiana Jones. I can understand Indiana Jones references in movies... but Independence Day? Really? I liked the movie well enough, and there are some fun quotes ("Welcome to Earth!"), but... in a Disney movie? Was it the same script writer or something?
  • Frying pans. Who knew right?
  • As to the Independence Day reference, I think I have only seen that movie once or twice and both of them were a very long time ago, so I didn't realize any connection to it, for the Indiana Jones reference, for some reason I didn't make the connection in my mind, but once it has been seen, it cannot be unseen.
  • edited October 2011
    That is also an ID4 reference. I have got to get me one of these!!!
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • And Mission Impossible. And the Matrix. And many, many other movies from the 90's. The shot of the horse (I think) jumping in slow motion over two characters was a direct copy of the killer-whale-overhead shot from Free Willy.
  • The slow motion horse jump is not a direct reference to anything, that kind of shot is used a lot in numerous different movies.
  • The slow motion horse jump is not a direct reference to anything, that kind of shot is used a lot in numerous different movies.
    Maybe. That was the scene that sprung to mind, especially after so many other movie references.

But it makes me wonder... do Pixar movies do this? I don't think so. In Toy Story there are references to popular culture, but they are all in service to the characters and storytelling. Right? But in this movie, and in Dreamworks animations, the references come thick and fast, but not in a clever way. In Madagascar, the lion has a fantasy about eating the zebra that includes a parody of American Beauty. You know, that 18 rated movie which features grooming for underage sex, a man masturbating in bed next to his wife, suicide, and much more. This is ONLY for the parents who've taken their kids to see it. What does the kid get from this? Nothing. I'd hate it if they did, because no 5 year old should know about red petals falling on naked young ladies.

Pixar is so great because it puts in content for the parents too. You know, like strong likeable characters, interesting stories, complex themes and heart-wrenching emotional scenes. Which kids will ALSO love. They might not understand it at a young age, but growing up they'll get more out of the movie by growing up, and not just by watching 18 rated movies. When they are adults, will they even get round to watching American Beauty? I bet not! But they'll watch the end of Toy Story 3 again and get it at many more levels than they would aged 5.

I think it's just lazy. I love some parodies, and satire works great too, but adding references to the Matrix or Mission Impossible or Independence Day or Indian Jones only says "We watched these movies one. We liked them. Did you like them too? We hope so. We want some of the coolness of those movies to rub off on our movie."

Of course, I exclude Kung Fu Panda from this complaint. That is a movie about kung fu movies as much as it is about kung fu. It makes sense to put kung fu movie references in there. But American Beauty references in Madagascar? Where's the logic?
  • edited October 2011
    Frying pans. Who knew right?
    This guy -
    But it makes me wonder... do Pixar movies do this?
    Yes, but not like that, They tend to be self-referential and subtle - for example, the Pizza Express truck makes an appearance in most of their movies.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I watch that movie seemingly around once a week
    Wow, do you really? That seems like a waste of time...
  • It's not actually once a week, but it's one of my favourite movies and I watch it way too freaking much. Also note that when I say watch, I mean I put it on in the background while I do other things.
  • X-Men Oranges: Wolverine is a terrible movie. Way too much citrus.
  • Can someone please explain why in Transformers 3 they wanted to bring Cybertron to Earf?
  • Can someone please explain why in Transformers 3 they wanted to bring Cybertron to Earf?
    They were trying to make Earf into Cybertron. The story for the Transformers movies are pretty pointless, you just go to see them to see giant robots beat the ever loving shit out of each other.
  • you just go to see them to see giant robots beat the ever loving shit out of each other.
    The robot-shit-beating scenes, however, suck. These frenetic CG camera-everywhere visual cacophonies border on the outright boring. You'd might as well watch a screensaver.
  • you just go to see them to see giant robots beat the ever loving shit out of each other.
    The robot-shit-beating scenes, however, suck. These frenetic CG camera-everywhere visual cacophonies border on the outright boring. You'd might as well watch a screensaver.
    On that note, has anyone actually seen Real Steel? It looks like a dumb concept, but the fighting robots remind me of Brando's Pankration Suit in Pluto.
  • The newest remake of The Three Muskateers had airships, decent sword play and cheese-tastic diaglo. I thought it was ok. It's not as good as the Disney version, but better then someother I've seen. They took a lot of liberties with the story and Orlando Bloom's hair. It was enjoyable, but you should wait till it's on Netflix.
  • edited October 2011
    On that note, has anyone actually seen Real Steel? It looks like a dumb concept, but the fighting robots remind me of Brando's Pankration Suit in Pluto.
    Yes. Plot is overdone, but robot fighting was entertaining. Not really worth a late night movie ticket, but perhaps for an early matinee or discount theater.
    The newest remake of The Three Muskateers had airships, decent sword play and cheese-tastic diaglo. I thought it was ok. It's not as good as the Disney version, but better then someother I've seen. They took a lot of liberties with the story and Orlando Bloom's hair. It was enjoyable, but you should wait till it's on Netflix.
    Jeremy watched it and said that it was Orlando Bloom just getting a paycheck and the movie should not be taken seriously.

I'm happy I didn't go watch it with him. I'll watch it when/if it ever comes to streaming.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • On that note, has anyone actually seen Real Steel? It looks like a dumb concept, but the fighting robots remind me of Brando's Pankration Suit in Pluto.
    Yes. Plot is overdone, but robot fighting was entertaining. Not really worth a late night movie ticket, but perhaps for an early matinee or discount theater.
    If the idea of Rocky + Battlebots appeals to you, then by all means watch it.
  • On that note, has anyone actually seen Real Steel? It looks like a dumb concept, but the fighting robots remind me of Brando's Pankration Suit in Pluto.
    If the idea of Rocky + Battlebots appeals to you, then by all means watch it.
    Aww man!!! If there was a lady bot the fighter bot could fall in love with!!! And an awesome old robot that trained him! And he had an Eye of the Tiger training montage!!! I would camp out for a week to see that movie.
    They have actually gotten much better with each movie. Someone must have told Michael Bay that no one can see what the fuck is going on if the camera is pulled in as far as it was in the first one.
    They have actually gotten much better with each movie. Someone must have told Michael Bay that no one can see what the fuck is going on if the camera is pulled in as far as it was in the first one.
    I'm tempted to rent the 3rd one at Redbox just to see if the fighting/action scenes are that good. And the convoluted plot doesn't bother me that much, because each movie has the same plot. However, Michael Bay and the writers just had to fucking make it so that half of the movie is spent on a bunch of buffoonery of bad comedy with Shia LeBouff, terrible comic relief and unnecessary cameos.
  • Yea, I have a love/hate relationship with the Transformer movies. Love the action and giant robots, hate the racist sterotype robots and the cheesy comedy. They should do a BSG style reboot and make it way more dark.
  • The newest remake of The Three Muskateers had airships, decent sword play and cheese-tastic diaglo. I thought it was ok. It's not as good as the Disney version, but better then someother I've seen. They took a lot of liberties with the story and Orlando Bloom's hair. It was enjoyable, but you should wait till it's on Netflix.
    The Three Musketeers is one of my favorite books, but I don't particularly mind when people take creative license with it (I love the Disney version and The Musketeer is just badass). But this version looked so hipster-CG-girl-with-a-sword-crazy-bullshit that I raged a little when I saw the trailer.
  • I just finished watching Captain America: The First Avenger. I liked it. Never read any Captain America comics and I don't really care about the character, but the movie worked well.

Also am I the only one who thought about the Mask every time Red Skull was on screen?
  • I watched Hesher over the weekend; not bad. There is a very prerdictable, and vulgar, formula to the story.
  • Contagion was a good movie, but if you're involved in biology at all you'll be picking apart the plot piece-by-piece for two hours. I'm not saying you won't be entertained, but you won't be entertained for the reasons everyone else is.
  • Yea, I have a love/hate relationship with the Transformer movies.
    I'd be able to at least tolerate them for the sake of giant robots fights, if Bay's terrible direction would ever focus on the robots rather than the humans running around them. In every action scene in the first film, whenever I turn my focus to the robots the camera immediately cuts or turns AWAY from them. It was incredibly frustrating.
  • whenever I turn my focus to the robots the camera immediately cuts or turns AWAY from them
    The problem with a live-action Transformers movie is budget. It takes a great deal of money to stage or render these things, so there will be constant corner-cutting, even with huge effects budgets. The uncanny valley plays into it too -- directors will use cut-aways to hide the awkwardness of the imperfect robut movements.

I have one Transformers wish, and that is for Hollywood to forgo live-action films for more animated ones in the highly-detailed style of the 1986 film. You'd think Hasbro would have cashed in on this a long time ago. I know the '86 film was a big money loser, but now we're in the Age of Nostalgia. The Bay films aren't popular because they're good; they make millions because men in their 30s want to relive their childhoods, and this is all they have. Give me a high-quality cartoon (not this Transformers Animated superdeformed bullshit).
  • I have one Transformers wish, and that is for Hollywood to forgo live-action films for more animated ones in the highly-detailed style of the 1986 film. You'd think Hasbro would have cashed in on this a long time ago. I know the '86 film was a big money loser, but now we're in the Age of Nostalgia. The Bay films aren't popular because they're good; they make millions because men in their 30s want to relive their childhoods, and this is all they have. Give me a high-quality cartoon (not this Transformers Animated superdeformed bullshit).
    I agree, but Hollywood seems to have given up on 2D animation. Winnie the Poo only exists because Poo makes Disney a bajillion dollars worldwide. It wasn't for the US primarily.

All 2D animated movies are relegated to direct to video.