This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I remember when it came out. I had high hopes for that movie, then when I saw that the reviews were not so good, I ended up not watching it. Still haven't to this day.

It was on Netflix streaming a while back, but missed the chance. If it ever gets back on there or Hulu, I'll give it a go.
  • 9 is not a good movie.
  • 9 is not a good movie.
    The trailers were better than the actual movie.

• 9 is not a good movie.
    The trailers were better than the actual movie.

Yeah, watchable but nothing outstanding. Also gave up after about 20 minutes into "Sands of Time". What a steaming pile THAT movie is. Loved the game tho.

• Anyone seen a movie called "9"? I had never heard of it until I was searching through a mates HD dump. Kind of post apocalyptic, steam punk, kids movie??? Didn't seem very child like with it's dark war themes and brutal action scenes. Cool movie.
    Originally it was a 10 minute short, and I really enjoyed it. Then it was extended out into a feature length movie. Most of the reviews said it looked like a 10 minute short that had been padded out into a feature length movie.
  • From a visual standpoint, 9 was a great movie. The character and world design were top-knotch. From a story perspective, it was ok, but nothing special. If you could combine the visuals of 9 with the story-wizards at Pixar (excluding Cars), you would have an amazing movie.
  • 9 is not a good movie.
    I had trouble staying awake. It just couldn't hold my interest at all.
  • Just tried to watch The Green Lantern. I tried really hard. I managed to get about 30 minutes in. It wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but it felt like it was trying to be the worst movie I've ever seen. How can Thor be so much fun, and this so much anti-fun?
  • I honestly think that the people who made Green Lantern tried to bite off more than they could chew. It should have just been about a small number of Green Lanterns, not all of them.
  • edited November 2011
    I saw 50/50 today. I thought it was going to be somewhat serious until the best friend said "felate".
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • I honestly think that the people who made Green Lantern tried to bite off more than they could chew. It should have just been about a small number of Green Lanterns, not all of them.
    I didn't even see more than two by the time I left the cinema.

Problem number 1 (of dozens):

You're going to go for the pilot who had something to prove after his father, also a pilot, died in a jet plane crash? Really? That is so cliched it was spoofed to hell in Hot Shots. Do you REALLY want to make me think of Hot Shots during the "emotional" scenes in your movie.

(I have no issues with Hot Shots, by the way.)

Problem number 17:

Hal Jordan was distractingly good looking. Even before he became a Green Lantern, he looked waaaay too handsome. The actor playing Thor could get away with this, as he was playing THOR, the SON OF ODIN. All other super heroes should be slightly ugly, or not stunningly perfect, and only achieve the perfect good looks when shielded by their costume. Or, in the case of Superman, the opposite.

What a fucking waste of a movie.
  • Watched Real Steel tonight, a.k.a. Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots The Movie. It was far better than I expected it to be. Not the best movie ever, but enjoyable.
  • edited November 2011
    American Beauty was quite close to being a perfect film. Every element of it was so beautifully crafted. Even the palette they used added emotional depth to the scenes. I actually cared deeply for all the main characters, and I really felt emotionally moved after watching it. Definitely a new favorite.

Then, we watched Signs. Signs was red-hot garbage. If it was shot in grainy black and white, scene-for-scene, 60 years ago, it'd be a MST3K piece. The best thing I got out of it was being able to go "Mad Max? More like DAD MAX!" during one scene where Mel Gibson seemed like the most fake dad ever. Unfortunately, I was one of two people who got that joke, so not even that could salvage the unbearable failure that was watching this film.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Superman II is a pretty awful film. I just watched it again for the first time since I was a kid. So many plot holes!
  • Superman II is a pretty awful film. I just watched it again for the first time since I was a kid. So many plot holes!

• Even though Let the Right one in and Let me in are basically the same movie, the original is better.
  • The Muppets is just as good as the hype is making it seem. The story is great, it's genuinely hilarious, the music is fantastic and catchy, and it honestly feels like they just made the Muppet Show into a movie (which I would say is a great thing). Even the non-Muppet fanatics I saw it with (seriously, I went with some people my age and older who had never seen anything Muppets, which I guess makes sense considering the story of the movie) loved it.

Also, there is a part that made my eyes water up from sheer joy, you'll know it when you see it near the end.
  • This morning I was on another flight, and not sleepy, and in a good mood, so when X-Men First Class came on, I decided to try to make it past the opening 5 minutes. I did. It turned into quite an enjoyable (if very stupid) movie.

Often times these kind of blockbuster movies are criticized for spawning so many unneeded sequels and prequels, but in this case I wish the story had been split into two. There were two stories told here, really, and I think the Cuban Missile Crisis plot/splitting the original X-men team could have been a different one from the first half. Oh well.
  • Watching Tokyo Gore Police. Very entertaining.
  • Hugo. Go see it.
  • Hugo. Go see it.
    I love the book that's based on, good to hear that the film is good as well.
  • Hugo or Muppets? I keep going back and forth on it.
    I haven't seen either of them, but I'm going to say Muppets because Muppets.
  • Hosted movie night last night for several friends. My picks were Super 8 and The Goonies.

I haven't seen The Goonies in a while and last night my friends and I realized how hilarious that movie is now with thinking about penises every time they say "One-Eyed Willy". The sexual innuendos were countless.
  • Saw J. Edger the other day. It was okay. I liked how they kept jumping backwards and forwards in time, and whomever was in charge of the costumes did a damn fine job. The problem is that there really isn't any real conflict to drive the "story". If you are really big into biographical works, this might be for you. Even then, however, I would caution against watching this in theaters. This is worth a Netflix, not a movie ticket.
    Both. They're both amazing for different reasons.
  • I recently saw Captain America, and I expected it to be another one of those super hero movies, but for some reason, it entertained me a lot more then it should've. The main character is good, the side characters are enjoyable, the villain is largely logical, and I had a lot of fun watching it.
  • edited November 2011
    I just saw Puss in Boots this past weekend. It's pretty predictable (I mean, it's a kids' movie), and not similar at all to the original Perrault story, but it's also ADORABLE. Incredibly adorable. The design/aesthetic was lovely, and the music is fantastic too. My family also lost it during the various cat gags. In addition: Spanish dance numbers.

Solid movie for a kid, and worth a Netflixing for an adult, especially if you liked Shrek and Tangled and are a fan of 3d animation.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Saw Hugo. I have to say, I think this movie is overrated. Thinking back on it, I'm not sure who's the audience for this movie. At first glance it looks like a children's story but the main story really revolves around Kingsley's character.

The best thing this movie has going for it are the visuals and the 3D. It's obvious that he actually used a 3D camera and not the post-production pop-up book converter.

In the end, this movie is Scorsese's love letter to film. Which is fine, but left me unsatisfied.
  • I watched The Trip recently on Netflix instant. All I can say is...

Fucking yeah...