This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Pulp Fiction. Never saw it before.
    So, what'd you think? Did it live up to its legend?
    I thought the Bruce Willis part was kind of irrelevant to the storyline. Througought the entire thing I was going "Come oooon! When are we going to get back to John Travolta and Sam Jackson talking about cheesburgers". However, the rest of it was really awesome. The dialogue is excellent and it's still groundbreaking even to this day.
  • I thought the Bruce Willis part was kind of irrelevant to the storyline. Througought the entire thing I was going "Come oooon! When are we going to get back to John Travolta and Sam Jackson talking about cheesburgers". However, the rest of it was really awesome. The dialogue is excellent and it's still groundbreaking even to this day.
    QFT
  • edited October 2010
    Point Break is really dumb and really awesome.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • edited October 2010
    Point Break is:
    FTFY
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited October 2010
    Watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. They did a great a job of dealing with Heath's death by incorporating the replacement actors into the script.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Just got done watching The 36 Chambers of Shaolin. Not only is it a very well done old school kung fu movie, but it also has a very insightful commentary featuring the RZA of all people. Very nice watch.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2010
    So I went and saw The Social Network...and here is what I have to say about it. The overall mood and character portrayals fittingly matches the subject itself: cold, calculating, and essentially computer-like (e.g. A never-ending series of zeroes and ones). In that sense, the film has the rare quality of being exactly the same as it's protagonist (e.g. egotistical, arrogant, and unforgiving if you can't keep up). In terms of dialogue (which is what the bulk of the film is), it has the speed of a screwball comedy, yet replace any notion of comedy with dialogue that is very scathing and technical (yet not technical enough to where the average joe or non-geek cannot understand). Easily the best film I've seen all year. Please don't dismiss it as melodramatic and stupid, because the ads fail to communicate what the real tone and content of the film is (it's very likely intentional), and it's something that many people should see.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited October 2010
    Just watched Sunshine. Like a lot of people I've heard talk about it have said, the movie is really good up until the last third.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Just watchedSunshine. Like a lot of people I've heard talk about it have said, the movie is really good up until the last third.
    I really enjoyed the movie all the way through. I even love that it throws all science out of the window. The guy touches the surface of the sun at the end, and yet people moan that there is gravity on the space ship. It's like they are watching a different movie to the one I'm watching.
  • Saw The Social Network on Saturday. I liked two things about it. First, it was very well crafted, from a movie-making standpoint. Casted well, shot well, edited well, and so forth. Secondly, I thought it was fantastic to actually see computers used in a move the way computers are actually used. No weird make-for-the-movies strange user interfaces and all that BS. For brief moments you can see actual code flash on the screen.

What I didn't like was the stretch from the truth. I am OK with watching something I know is a work of fiction, but in the first 30 seconds of the movie it is established that Mark Zuckerberg's motivation for creating Facebook was because he wanted to get into exclusive fraternities so he could get laid. I have an incredibly hard time believing all of this given that he has had the same girlfriend since before facebook existed. Without spoiling anything, the movie continually references his motivations, sometimes more sublty than others, yet I think it's entirely more believable to say he just wanted to create something awesome using the power of the internet, because he is a motivated and smart techie.
  • Equilibrium is a movie that has Christian Bale using gunkata. In other words, it's fucking awesome.
  • Just watchedSunshine. Like a lot of people I've heard talk about it have said, the movie is really good up until the last third.
    I really enjoyed the movie all the way through. I even love that it throws all science out of the window. The guy touches the surface of the sun at the end, and yet people moan that there is gravity on the space ship. It's like they are watching a different movie to the one I'm watching.
    My problem with the end of the movie wasn't the science issues, though the surface touching was kind of over the top. I had more issue with the introduction of Pinbacker as a threat. I think the direction it was going in prior to that was more interesting, as the crew started gunning for each other as more parts of the ship were destroyed.
  • Forgot I also watched a movie off of Netflix streaming, Sunshine Cleaning (no relation to Sunshine), about a 20-something woman in Texas who has gone nowhere in life after being a popular girl in high school. She's stuck cleaning houses, and winds up falling into the very profitable crime scene cleanup business. Felt like a Nancy Botwin/Weeds type story and I kinda liked it. Not a great movie but it was enjoyable.
  • Watched Cop Out just because it had Kevin Smith directing it, even though he didn't write it. It barely had an redeeming qualities other than a few jokes and Bruce Willis in it. It felt like an 80's cop movie, but not nearly as fun as Beverly Hills Cop.

Tracy Morgan is beyond annoying and not funny at all. It's been a while since I saw a movie I really didn't enjoy, so this is going to stick out to me like a sore thumb.

I also finally watched the animated Wonder Woman movie with voice acting of Felicty as Wonder Woman, Nathan Fillion as himself, Doc Oc as Ares, Rosario Dawson as a man-hating amazon, and a few others. It was an enjoyable watch. It always reminded me how much I miss the JLA animated series. No, not that New Frontier stuff.
  • Malice in Wonderland is Alice in Wonderland as imagined by Guy Richie (except not directed by him), so it's a super stylish, British crime movie with some pretty snappy dialog. The story is pretty shallow, and as such can be figured out very easily, but it's very enjoyable.

Also, Beauty and the Beast is the best film from the Disney Renaissance.
  • Tracy Morgan is beyond annoying and not funny at all.
    You have clearly not seen the episode of 30 Rock where he endeavors to develop the perfect H-Game.
  • You have clearly not seen the episode of 30 Rock where he endeavors to develop the perfect H-Game.
    No, it's been on my queue for ages. I know the dialogue and overall plot of the movie was bad, but his performance of his character made it even worse.

I might give 30 Rock a go, whenever that is.

As for recently seen movies, I watched Gungho, an 80's Ron Howard comedy with Michael Keaton. I remember countless times watching this movie growing up. It still holds up to be a hilarious comedy. I'll be watching Solarbabies for my next blast into past 80's nostalgia movie binge.
  • As for recently seen movies, I watchedGungho, an 80's Ron Howard comedy with Michael Keaton. I remember countless times watching this movie growing up.
    That's not really subject matter I can imagine a kid enjoying. It's a dramedy about labor relations and the politics behind manufacturing. Plus the clash of good ol' American spirit and Japanese work ethic. It's not exactly Disney fare.
  • Last Hurrah for Chivalry is an old school kung fu movie directed by John Woo. Clearly I can let that speak for itself, but I it needs to be emphasized that this movie is freaking awesome.
  • Last Hurrah for Chivalry is an old school kung fu movie directed by John Woo. Clearly I can let that speak for itself, but I it needs to be emphasized that this movie is freaking awesome.
    Have you see Red Canyon yet?
  • edited October 2010
    I am unfamiliar with the title. Worth watching?
    Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • That's not really subject matter I can imagine a kid enjoying. It's a dramedy about labor relations and the politics behind manufacturing. Plus the clash of good ol' American spirit and Japanese work ethic. It's not exactly Disney fare.
    Well, as a child, I pretty much watched whatever was on TV. Also, I really didn't see it as that. I mostly remembered the funny parts, especially at the end where Michael Keaton pretends to wipe the fake windshield, or when he drives off after his big speech and the car breaks down.

As a child, the culture clash, I could relate to because I've experienced a lot of that growing up.

I probably watched and enjoyed a lot of movies when I was young that when I think about it now, were probably not something I should have watched at that age.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2010
    I am unfamiliar with the title. Worth watching?
    It's essentially the subject matter of Dynasty Warriors, but "John Wu-ified".

As for what I watched recently...I watched Grave of the Fireflies. I am crying like a baby right now. I have since decided this will be the first anime I'm showing at the inaugural meeting of the anime club, I and four others established last week.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I watched Shutter Island the other night. It was fun enough, but a bit long and I guessed exactly where it was going as soon as Leo said "Here's the name of the guy who set the fire."

On the other hand, I find Scorsese a very, very annoying film maker. I really don't enjoy his style. I love some of his movies, but that is despite his camera work. When the movie subject and story can't hold up, the entire thing is just snowed under. I'm looking at you, Gangs of New York.
  • The Social Network was good. Justin Timberlake was surprisingly hilarious. I didn't know he could act.
  • The Social Network was good. Justin Timberlake was surprisingly hilarious. I didn't know he could act.
    Huh. I didn't know he was in it. I originally had no interest in this movie, but the fact you mention my <3, JT, I'm going to have to watch it now. ^________~
    I thought it was absolutely fantastic.
    Huh. I didn't knowhewas in it.
    Until I saw his name in the credits, I had no clue whatsoever.

It's Kind of a Funny Story is exactly that. It wasn't amazing, but people with issues will relate to it a lot. Also, the scene when they're rocking out is the best one in the movie. You'll know it when you get to it.
  • the fact you mention my <3, JT, I'm going to have to watch it now.</p>
    Did you watch The Love Guru?
  • the fact you mention my <3, JT, I'm going to have to watch it now.</p>
    Did you watch The Love Guru?
    The difference is this time it isn't a completely racist film like The Love Guru.
    Huh. I didn't knowhewas in it. I originally had no interest in this movie, but the fact you mention my <3, JT, I'm going to have to watch it now. ^________~</p>
    You should! The movie is great overall, but his character is especially awesome. Definitely one of the most memorable performances from the film. Props to him.