This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Did you watch The Love Guru?
    No. I've heard about and how horrible it is.
  • It's Kind of a Funny Storyis exactly that. It wasn't amazing, but people with issues will relate to it a lot. Also, the scene when they're rocking out is the best one in the movie. You'll know it when you get to it.
    I loved Funny Story (I don't have "issues"). The characters/actors were fantastic, the movie was hilarious, and the plot was really good. I highly recommend it. Also,
  • I just watched The Empire Strikes Back. Even on my dozenth viewing (or maybe two-dozenth) it's still just as entertaining as ever.
  • I just watched Cabaret. It was amazing.
  • I watched Kagemusha the other day. It was one of the best ones yet. Still, I can only imagine how much more awesome it would have been with Mifune in there.
  • So a while back I believe Rym mentioned an animated Irish movie called The Secret of Kells It's up on netflix instant streaming now. The first 30 or so minutes is pretty lighthearted and nice, and then Vikings show up and and shit gets mad real. It's a pretty nice movie, even if the animation is a little so-so
  • I just watched The Empire Strikes Back. Even on my dozenth viewing (or maybe two-dozenth) it's still just as entertaining as ever.
    I have watched that movie 108 times. I started counting as a joke when I was five and never let the joke die.
  • I have watched that movie 108 times. I started counting as a joke when I was five and never let the joke die.
    I have also watched it many times, but not even close to that many. Maybe between 30 and 50 times.
  • Just finished watching "Rage of Honor" via netflix instant streaming. Nothing says 80s action movie like a DEA agent that uses ninja weapons.
  • Just finished watching "Rage of Honor" via netflix instant streaming. Nothing says 80s action movie like a DEA agent that uses ninja weapons.
    I'd be more surprised if Segal wasn't in it than if he was.
  • edited October 2010
    Had the day off so while in a whirlwind of productivity around the home, I forced myself to take a lunch break and watch a movie. I've been turning and burning Netflix DVDs for a few months now but haven't stopped to actually watch any of them, so I popped that folder open and started There Will Be Blood. Picking a movie with no talking for the first 15 minutes is an incredibly horrible choice when you accidentally ripped the French audio to go along with it.

As a replacement, I watched Mad Max for the first time ever, which corrected some incredible geek injustice in my world. Unless you are film buff supreme, everyone's got a short stack of legendary movies they've never seen which make other people gasp and point at them like a leper. People always reacted that way when I said I'd never seen Mad Max, so now that's over. I've added Road Warrior and Thunderdome to my queue. The movie was fun, not amazing, but I liked it. I thought it's extreme simplicity was a strong point. Very very light on dialogue, and the plot moves from:
    • Show the audience that Mad Max is a badass
    • Show an enemy destroying everything Mad Max loves
    • Have Mad Max brutally kill everybody involved
    • fin
    With other movies there would be some filler inbetween, perhaps side-character development. Here, not so much. It was a refreshingly simple popcorn action flick.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Centurion was an okay action/adventure flick. Well shot, but a lot of the action and plot was pretty predictable. Very average all together.
  • Watched Sugata Sanshiro. Learned that almost every boxing movie is really a Sugata Sanshiro remake.
  • The People Under the Stairs is an incredibly fucked up horror film. I highly suggest it.
  • The Good The Bad The Weird is a fantastic movie. Asians should make more Westerns.
  • The Good The Bad The Weirdis a fantastic movie. Asians should make more Westerns.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. Chuno is a Korean show that has a lot of Western themes without being a Western itself.

Saw The Wizard for the first time last night. It has the two creepiest people I can remember seeing in a movie.
  • Today I watched "Easy A" which was hilarious; and "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole" in IMAX 3D and it was amazing :D
  • Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus is exactly the movie you think it is.
  • Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopusis exactly the movie you think it is.
    It's not nearly as good as the trailer. The trailer is GLORIOUS.
  • Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopusis exactly the movie you think it is.
    It's not nearly as good as the trailer. The trailer is GLORIOUS.
    Really, you only need to watch one scene in the entire movie to get the full effect.
  • I went back to my childhood and rewatched a movie I used to watch on a fairly regular basis: Jumanji. I loved it as a kid, and I still love it now.
  • Robin Hood was not fantastic, but pretty entertaining. It was basically a 12th century Gladiator. However, it wouldn't have been nearly as awesome without super-sexy Cate Blanchett being extremely sexy.
  • I watched The Good, the Bad, the Weird this week. This movie was awesome from start to finish.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2010
    Because I'm well underway in writing the Constitution for the Gateway Community College Japanese Animation Club, I thought I'd better do my homework by watching many anime movies and series. I'm doing this in order to see if I should bring them to the adviser so he can pass judgment on whether or not a showing is possible. While going over a few titles, I remember that Emily recommended Toki o kakeru shojo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time) and said good things about it, so I decided to go with that.
    I gotta say...holy shit...this was astonishing...I hadn't felt this way about an anime movie ever since my viewpoint on anime as a medium was blown away after watching Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind over 5 years ago. Kudos to you Mamoru Hosoda on making an incredible movie, my sights are now set on you and I look forward to anything you make in the future. By the way, thanks Emily, for recommending such a good film.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • If you liked it, go watch Summer Wars. They're both amazing, and Hosoda has a bright future.
  • Biodome.
  • RED was highly enjoyable. ^_^
  • RED was highly enjoyable. ^_^
    RED is exactly the movie that you think it is. You should go watch it right now.
  • Biodome.
    I am so, so sorry.
  • Kill Bill: vol.1 is alright.