This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• You can't dip into both pots.
    Except that they have been for almost ever. Cable TV didn't last long before commercials crept in.
    You don't see me paying for it.
  • You can't dip into both pots.
    Except that they have been for almost ever. Cable TV didn't last long before commercials crept in.
    You don't see me paying for it.
    Do you complain to the theater manager when you have to watch coming attractions before a movie?

You don't see me paying for cable either, heck I'm not even a Hulu Plus subscriber. My point is that quality content is so hard to produce, that if I am paying a relatively small sum (say, $10 for a subscription rather than the $80 cable plan), I would begrudgingly tolerate some front-loaded advertisement time. Time vs. money is a pretty tight battle with me, so I'd rather have a compromise between the two. minimal advertisements and a small fee, rather than tons of adds or a hefty fee.
  • Do you complain to the theater manager when you have to watch coming attractions before a movie?
    I go to the movies extremely rarely and always talk over and complain about the ads.
  • I go to the movies extremely rarely and always talk over and complain about the ads.
    I used to be an avid movie theater goer, but now I barely know what's coming out.

I do the same thing too and talk during ads or play on my DS. It's amusing when people give you dirty looks for talking during ads. I stare at them right back.

I agree with Matt in that I would be ok with a commercial beforehand but not during the actual programming.
  • Finally watched Shortbus. It was... wacky? I think I liked Hedwig and the Angry Inch a lot better, but perhaps that's because it felt more unified as a narrative.
    I don't think Short Bus qualifies as wacky, since people really are that incredibly messed up. I also agree that the narrative could have been put together so that it was more understandable, rather than the symbolism and "Oh my god, this movie is so artistic!" surreal sequences.
  • I don't have a big problem with front-loaded commercials. I'll do something else for a few moments. Interruptions during programming though? Fuck that.
    Luckily, Hulu ads just don't work for me. I always get an error page saying the ad couldn't load, and then it sits there quietly for x seconds.
    Same. Does Adblock somehow take care of them?
  • Same. Does Adblock somehow take care of them?
    Seems to depend. For me Firefox won't load the ads and sits there quietly, but Chrome doesn't. Thing is, the ads are usually shorter than the no ad message.
  • Do you complain to the theater manager when you have to watch coming attractions before a movie?
    Yes, I do.
  • Being that I am someone who actively watches movie trailers, I don't mind the ones before movies in theatres.
  • Being that I am someone who actively watches movie trailers, I don't mind the ones before movies in theatres.
  • Finally saw Whisper of the Heart last night. Pretty good, it was a really cute film overall. With this film, that leaves only three Ghibli films I have yet to see.
  • Saw Fast Five earlier today. The perfect movie after a grueling and time-pressured final. Mindless nonstop action.
  • Tonight I watched the wrong movie by mistake. I rented Skyline (a recent alien invasion movie set in LA) thinking it was Battle: Los Angeles (a recent alien invasion movie set in LA). Movies often have different names when released in Germany, but in this case I simply forgot that this movie came out a few months before Battle: Los Angeles.

Skyline has some pretty shoddy acting, but has a far more interesting concept and story than most other alien invasion movies I've seen. I'm not going to spoil it here, but the ending was pretty surprising, even if I suspected it might take that path. Overall it is a pretty passable post-Independence Day, post-District 9 affair.
  • Wow, Easy A is already on Netflix streaming. People liked that movie, right? I'll probably watch it now.
  • Thor is a pretty fun movie that really made me want to listen to Amon Amarth as soon as I got out of it. I hope this movie does well as so that they will make some more movies abou the magical side of the Marvel universe. I just really want a Doctor Strange movie.
  • Thor is a pretty fun movie that really made me want to listen to Amon Amarth as soon as I got out of it. I hope this movie does well as so that they will make some more movies abou the magical side of the Marvel universe. I just really want a Doctor Strange movie.
    Honestly, I think Marvel having some control over their "Avengers" properties has helped the films. It looks like Thor, and to an extent from the trailers Captain America, are both benefiting from a shared universe and movie storyline. Plus, the scene right after Thor gets his hammer back and informs Agent Coulson of his intentions with S.H.I.E.L.D. to protect Midgard shows that Hemsworth got Thor right.
  • Wow, Easy A is already on Netflix streaming. People liked that movie, right? I'll probably watch it now.
    It was a pretty good movie for the teen sex comedy genre. I really liked her interactions with her parents. So does anyone else watch Netflix on their Xbox? Well I think who ever (or is it whom ever?) picks their Featured selection is retarted. They put good movies on their for less then 24 hours while keeping Titanic 2 on the list for weeks. Easy A, Toy Story 3 and Salt were on the Featured list for less then 24 hours.... WHY?? NETFLIX WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO GET ME TO WATCH SHITE MOVIES!!!!
  • (or is it whom ever?)
    Whomever is used to describe the object of a preposition. Simple rule: Use it immediately after words such as of, on, before, beside, for, off, over, etc. It would also be used at the start of a dependent clause (after the comma).
  • I watched Easy A and it was pretty enjoyable.
  • I just finished watching "Thor" it was suprisingly awesome!
    Also, Nathalie Portman is still pretty hot.
  • I just finished watching "Thor" it was suprisingly awesome!
    Also, Nathalie Portman is still pretty hot.
    It's not all that surprising, since Kenneth "Hamlet" Branagh directed it.
  • edited May 2011
    I want to know one thing about Thor. I don't care if it's a spoiler.

Is Thor actually Thor, Norse god of thunder, or do they explain it with some kind of technology / aliens / something else?
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Is Thor actually Thor, Norse god of thunder, or do they explain it with some kind of technology / aliens / something else?
    It's actually thor, Norse god of thunder, and all his dysfunctional family. Surprisingly little crossdressing, however.
  • how many horses does Loki have sex with?
  • Is it bestiality if he has sex with a horse? I mean he turns himself into a horse but he still has the mind of a man (well a god, well not really a god... an ice giant...) Didn't he also father a wolf?
  • how many horses does Loki have sex with?
    None, but Odin was riding Sleipnir :O
  • Is it bestiality if he has sex with a horse? I mean he turns himself into a horse but he still has the mind of a man (well a god, well not really a god... an ice giant...)
    If the horse says neigh, does it really mean nay?
  • Is it bestiality if he has sex with a horse? I mean he turns himself into a horse but he still has the mind of a man (well a god, well not really a god... an ice giant...)
    If the horse says neigh, does it really mean nay?
    "I thought when the horse said neigh, it was saying 'yay,' your Honor."
  • edited May 2011
    Dave mentioned The Great Happiness Space on the latest Fast Karate; it's a documentary on Netflix streaming about host club culture in Japan. I'll have to finish it tomorrow, but holy shit. Definitely a terrific and heartbreaking film.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I managed to watch The Big Lebowski and Fargo for the first time. I'd never really been a fan of the Coen brothers. I found Oh Brother, Where Art Thou rather dull and never watched their films again until recently. Is there anything else of theirs I should see?

I also recently re-watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service and The Living Daylights. I never have been a big fan of Bond films, but I rather liked Lazenby and Dalton.