This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• I got the right side and wrong side mixed up ~12 rows back. I'm not sure if I want to try and go back and fix it or chalk it up as a first knitting quirk.
    That completely depends on whether you will be satisfied with the final product even if it has that mistake in it. :)
  • I got the right side and wrong side mixed up ~12 rows back. I'm not sure if I want to try and go back and fix it or chalk it up as a first knitting quirk.
    That completely depends on whether you will be satisfied with the final product even if it has that mistake in it. :)
    One of the rules of knitting: be prepared that more than likely you will end up "frogging" your work and redoing it all over again.
  • I think I'm just gonna start over. It'll come out a lot better since I've worked out a lot of things I was doing wrong when I just started. It just might end up a fairly short scarf.
  • edited January 2011
    After four aborted attempts I've finally got something that doesn't look like shit. If I can go more than a day without messing it up, I might actually get it finished surprisingly fast.

This is all a few hours work.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Very nice. Starting with cable knitting. I did not do cable knitting until my 3rd project I believe. Then I practiced cable knitting and realized how damn easy it is.
  • Didn't realize it was there until I got to it (row 8 was a long way away). It's the only really hard part. The three stitches slipped onto the cable do NOT like coming off.
  • I think I can see why Red Heart is <$3 for ~370 yards. I think I'll finish this one and start another with good yarn and use that for the actual present (unless school says otherwise).
  • I think I can see why Red Heart is <$3 for ~370 yards. I think I'll finish this one and start another with good yarn and use that for the actual present (unless school says otherwise).</p>
    It's a good starter yarn. If you want to upgrade Cascade is where it's at but pricier. Try out Lion Brand's Wool-Eease lines. It's 20% wool and not too shabby. You can also felt with it vs 100% acrylic.
  • I just finished a sweater out of Cascade 220. I followed the pattern directions for Small. I got gauge. It was supposed to be a 32" bust. It is a 42" bust. It's nice, other than that... ^^;;; I am debating whether to try felting it down to size or finding someone it fits. I absolutely cannot wear it this way.
  • I was rather at a loss for what to make once I finished my scarf. I had an idea, but I didn't want to do another scarf right away. But now I know! I'll have to figure out how charts work (doesn't look too hard) and how the hell a duplicate stitch works. I'll work all that out once I do finish my currently arms-length scarf.
  • Charts are easy. 1 box = 1 stitch. Just knit whatever stitch the symbol calls for. If you don't know how to do what it says, look it up on the internets.

Hats are good for beginner projects too... you can learn increases/decreases and sizing/shaping without a huge project looming over you. Plus, there's always someone it'll fit.
  • Ima do this. There be a Who fan with a birthday coming up.
  • Oooh, colorwork! Neato. That looks like it'll be a fun project.
  • Saw a lot of cool stringy things at the Highland Games today. There was a lady stick weaving and a dude making a tubular scarf on a peggy wheely thing and other neatness.
  • edited January 2011
    I recently bought this book, Knitting Mochimochi: 20 Super-Cute Strange Designs for Knitted Amigurumi.

Soon, Sackboys will be made.

As for my current projects, I'm using Lion Brand: Homespun Bulky yarn. I'm not liking this yarn. Because of how it's made the tiny strands get easily caught up in the needles. I think I'll just frog it and get better yarn. Yet another skein that will just collect dust for a while.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited January 2011
    Went to the yarn store to get mats for my TARDIS and spent half an hour just feeling yarns. This is already presenting itself to be much more challenging than the scarf I'm finishing up. The dark blue I got for the panels in the sides is a different weight (fine) than the rest (worsted), so I'm gonna have to do some maths to make things match up. Also gonna need to go get smaller needles because people on Ravelry were saying they were getting 1.5' things with size 5 needles and that's a bit larglier than I want it to be. And foam and non-foam stuffing. Where would I get such things? They didn't have any at the yarn store. This is persenting more and more challenges as I type it out, but I'm looking forward to it.

@Ro: Adorable.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited January 2011
    And foam and non-foam stuffing. Where would I get such things? They didn't have any at the yarn store. This is persenting more and more challenges as I type it out, but I'm looking forward to it.
    Polyfil at any craft store. You get a lot for cheap. You don't really need a lot. One small bag will do. You will be amazed at how much polyfil can fit into it.

On an unrelated note, my local yarn store will be selling the Harmony Wood needles. So instead of ordering online, I can go visit them and purchase any additional needles I might need in the future and of course spend more money on yarn. They are also having a Cascade Yarn trunk show this week with purchasing bags of yarn at 20% off. Why must they tempt me so?
  • It is a 42" bust.
    Solution: implants.

But don't, because I don't like fake boobs.
  • Silicon parts are made for toys?
    Yeah, we all know real guys want them real thick and juicy.
  • Yeah, we all know real guys want them real thick and juicy.
    Only steaks and hamburgers. I actually prefer medium to small boobs. Boobs that are too big are... too big.
  • Depends on body-type.
  • I was referring to the lyrics of "Baby Got Back". >__> First thing that popped into my head.
  • Depends on body-type.
    THIS.
  • Boobs that are too big are... too big.
    I concur. While I do appreciate looking at a girl with an ample bosom - I do appreciate breasts of all sorts - there is a point at which they're just freakish.

I also think of it this way: if I got my hands on all that boob, what would I do with it? I think I'd get lost or something.

But yes, it really comes down to body-type.
  • It is a 42" bust.
    Solution: implants.

But don't, because I don't like fake boobs.
    I don't think it's physically advisable to increase my bust measurement by 10" anyway. Looks like I will probably be ripping it back an making some mods to the pattern.
    Yeah, we all know real guys want them real thick and juicy.
    I would have continued, but I don't wanna get in trouble, beggin' for a piece of that bubble.
    Don't worry Ro, we're on a wavelength.
  • edited January 2011
    I would have continued, but I don't wanna get in trouble, beggin' for a piece of that bubble.
    Don't worry Ro, we're on a wavelength.
    Yay! I was feeling all insecure for a second. Good to know I'm not alone!

Back to yarn: I'm going to another store after work to look for more bulky yarn. I have these really awesome hats to make and I must get the PERFECT yarn. I really don't want to figure out new measurements with using worsted weight, but I will have to if I can't find the yarn I want.

As much as I love math, I'm lazy to do it right now.

• Back to yarn: I'm going to another store after work to look for more bulky yarn. I have these really awesome hats to make and I must get the PERFECT yarn.
    Speaking of, do you want me to hold the yarn you bought so I can include whatever else you want once I get pics (weather has been terrible, so I haven't been able to get good lighting) or just send the two skeins you bought now?
  • Speaking of, do you want me to hold the yarn you bought so I can include whatever else you want once I get pics (weather has been terrible, so I haven't been able to get good lighting) or just send the two skeins you bought now?
    Hold off. I will await for the new updates on your store. I'm sure I'm going to buy something from there.