This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• Polyfil at any craft store. You get a lot for cheap. You don't really need a lot. One small bag will do. You will be amazed at how much polyfil can fit into it.
    I don't want just Polyfil, I want a stiffer foam so it'll keep its shape better, but JoAnns will probably have both.
  • Polyfil at any craft store. You get a lot for cheap. You don't really need a lot. One small bag will do. You will be amazed at how much polyfil can fit into it.
    I don't want just Polyfil, I want a stiffer foam so it'll keep its shape better, but JoAnns will probably have both.
    They should. They usually have sheets and blocks of soft foam that work great for things like that.
  • So it seems that with winter ending, most yarn stores are getting ready for the summer yarns of the lighter weight variety. What does this mean? My project that involves bulky weight will have to be resized/regauged for worsted.

Bah. Now, I have to work and figure things out.

At least the yarn I have is nice. I hope one of the skeins will be enough.
  • So last night, I made a test 4" x 4" swatch with US 10 (Harmony Wood) to get a gauge.

Today, I made another test 4" x 4" swatch using the same size needles, but in the Clover brand. I thought they were US 11's. >____<

Utter fail. I hate when I waste time like that.
  • edited January 2011
    I have made a thing with string! It ended up about 1 Ruffas (~6') tall. I got almost 300 rows before I had to messed up and had to frog back. I'll count next time I have to do that. All in all it came out much better than I expected! Need to figure out what to do with it now, and then on to the TARDIS (after some maths).
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Wow, very nice. I have yet to tackle a scarf. Looks very warm. Do you have a Ravelry page? Did you get the pattern from there? Yarn? Details!
  • edited January 2011
    Yes to all...well most. I just went to Walmart and got some burgundy Red Heard Super Saver since this was a learning project and red was the color I solicited from an unknowing third party. Ima do an actual post and stuff about the experience tomorrow I think.

Also, Ravelry has once again reared its useful head and saved me maths converting fine stitches to worsted. Ima still test to make sure their numbers are right, but good on them.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • 6' is a good length for a scarf. That's usually what I aim for unless it's for a short person.

Ro, do you have a needle sizer? I have a needle-sizing app on my iPhone and it is invaluable, but there are "analog" ones too. ;) I always check my needles now before I start since the KP ones aren't labeled with the size.

Also, you can hold two strands of yarn together to get bulky weight, even if you can't find any bulky yarn at the store.
  • Ro, do you have a needle sizer? I have a needle-sizing app on my iPhone and it is invaluable, but there are "analog" ones too. ;) I always check my needles now before I start since the KP ones aren't labeled with the size.
    Yeah, I have the standard Susan Bates one that also helps with counting stitches/inch. I was just too stupid to look on the damn Clover needles to see the size.
    Also, you can hold two strands of yarn together to get bulky weight, even if you can't find any bulky yarn at the store.
    Yeah, I heard about that. Eventually, I'll try that out. I actually found a different pattern that I want to do instead. So I'm doing a new swatch with US 5's. ^^;;
  • 6' wasn't really an intended length, that's just when the skein ran out. Once I finish with the TARDIS I'm gonna be making the ridiculously long 4th Doctor scarf.

Them US 5's are a totally different ballgame from the 8's. They feel like little baby needles that are gonna break in my hands.
  • Hahahah... I have been using tiny needles so much lately that 5s feel like awesome big needles! I'm working on this right now on US 7s, and it's going so fast!
  • edited January 2011
    I have two hat projects going on. One with Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Super Bulky Yarn on US 11's and the other is Cascade Quatro 220 Worsted with US 5s. It's fun switching between the two to see the drastic difference.

Once I start making socks, it's all about the tiny needles. The smallest so far that I've used are US 2's to make my fingerless gloves with the fingering weight yarn. The project I worked on after that was with bulky yarn. It was weird.

Also using Knit Picks circulars have me spoiled. When I started using the Clover brand today, it was kinda painful. The circular cord didn't want to work with me. T_____T
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Use size 0s for socks. They make a nice, thick fabric so the socks last longer. Plus, for most fingering weight sock patterns, I haven't been able to get guage with anything larger. I just bought a set of Addi lace circs in size 00... I am so excited to do a pair with them! I'm thinking green and black stripeys. I have to finish my current sock projects though. I have 3 on the needles already.

Once you go to KP and Addi, you just can't go back to the craft store cables. They are SO STIFF! Bleah.
  • edited January 2011
    It just occurred to me that the cast on row probably counts as one. Does the cast off count as one too? I don't think it'll really matter for this pattern, I'm just going to go for consistency since I already finished the first part.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • It just occurred to me that the cast on row probably counts as one. Does the cast off count as one too? I don't think it'll really matter for this pattern, I'm just going to go for consistency since I already finished the first part.
    Actually, the CO is not usually included in the row count for the pattern instructions. Neither is the bind off. They generally have separate instructions in the pattern telling you to CO and BO.
  • Well then.
  • edited January 2011
    So yesterday I got a message on Ravelry from a person who is a fellow PAX Enforcer. She basically sent me a message along the lines of "Heyo! I just did a google search for “Scott Pilgrim Knit Hat Pattern” and your blog was the first to come up. Then I saw you enforced TableTop and had to say hi. :) Now I have to try that pattern!".

So that gave me a smile for it being such a small world. I then did some internet stalking and saw that she has a blog and makes chain mail and other related knitted chain items.

I also saw from her blog that there is a new con in Seattle called Geek Girl Con:
    Geek Girl Con is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting awareness of and celebrating the contribution and involvement of women in all aspects of science fiction, comics, gaming and related Geek culture through conventions and events that emphasize both historic and ongoing contribution and influence of women in culture.
    I'm pretty sure I'll either be helping out or attending this in October.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited January 2011
    I've got the 3/7 (top, bottom, and the light) of the TARDIS done so far. Despite being quite small, the light took some figuring out. I ended up binding off all but five stitches and going from there and that seems to have worked fine. I messed it up on my first go, cut that bit off and used the loose string to figure out how to make a recessed bit for the door panels on top of using a darker blue.

EDIT: Early experiments indicate that the whole recessed thing will be neither necessary or feasible. Probably going have to do some double yarn overs to get the fine thread to match up with the worsted and knit three together going back to the worsted
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • All week, my favorite local yarn shop had a bag sale on yarn. You basically buy a bag of yarn and you get 20% off the normal price. I took advantage of this deal and bought some Eco-Wool. It's only $27 a bag. Plus there was a sale on the yarn in the store.

$140 later...

I also bought two cute stitch markers (coffee mug & penguin) and more yarn. All but the skein on the right were 40% off, and the far right skein was 20% off. I also bought some home made hand moisturizer that makes your hands feel so soft and ready for knitting. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the yarn I bought, but I'm sure I'll think of something.
  • I have no idea what I'm going to do with the yarn I bought, but I'm sure I'll think of something.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I guess the benefit of having no income is that spending $140 on sale yarn is inconceivable right now. Well, all at once, anyway. Except for Rhinebeck. But now I have all this fiber to spin, so I don't need to buy yarn ever again. >_> Really. At least until I spin all the fiber and knit all the yarn.Or at least half of it.

So, how much yarn storage space do you have, and how long do you think it will take to fill it up?
  • So, how much yarn storage space do you have, and how long do you think it will take to fill it up?
    Well, I have space in the apartment, but I will more than likely have to buy another rolling 3-shelf storage bin.

I have a patio with a storage unit, but it's full. I could ask Jeremy to get rid of things.

I was looking through the Cascade catalogs. I stared at the various colors of the Pastaza (50% llama, 50% wool) and Greenland 100% Merino Superwash for a while.

I'm currently looking for a yellow combination DK weight, but I'm having no luck. Somewhat like that Apollo's Chariot (cashmere/angora blend) I bought from you, but it's in fingering weight. I could possibly double it up, but it's probably not enough yarn for the hat I want to make.

I also got a bonus, so I wanted to treat myself.
  • I have no idea what I'm going to do with the yarn I bought, but I'm sure I'll think of something.
    Hmmmmmmmm. I wonder...

Just kidding, no pressure or anything.

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
  • Woollen robot.
  • I'm currently looking for a yellow combination DK weight, but I'm having no luck.
    What fiber? I am planning to order some DK weight yarn to dye (I want to make myself a sweater batch, but I only need 5 skeins, and it comes in 10-skein batches). At the moment I can get MCN or superwash Merino. I could always dye you something in a similar colorway.
  • Oooh. I'll take the MCN. I've heard good things about it. That would be fabulous! Yay!
  • I was hoping you'd say that. I prefer the MCN as well! They are re-stocking on the 27th, so I'm waiting until then to order because they are getting in some sparkly sock yarn! I'll let you know when it gets here and you can tell me specifics.
  • Using the size 2 yarn with the worsted was a complete failure. Now I'm going to have to wait a week for some navy blue worsted because NONE of the shops in the area carry that color. Any suggestions for what to make with the small stuff in the mean time?
  • socks?
    I don't really wear shoes, and I was thinking of something as a gift and I seem to remember Nuri mentioning some sort of sock related curse and I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of superstition.
  • Don't put too much stock in that. I think it's rooted in the fear of putting so much work into something and then having the person leave with all your work. Still, socks and sweaters are a lot of work, so it's best to be sure the person is truly knitworthy before embarking on that project.

You could always try lace. It usually uses small yarn and large/medium-sized needles, and it goes pretty quickly. You could probably get a lace cowl or scarf out of one skein.