This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• I would love to know how to knit. It seem like the tedious, mind numbing, but creative thing that I'd be into.
    You have come to the RIGHT place. On the first page are some links that Nuri provided to help you get started. We would love another crafter on the forums.

It can be tedious and mind numbing, but it really depends on the skill of the crafter and what is being done.

I want to create various things, so it's going to be a difficult and lengthy task of practice and redoing things.
  • I will defiantly check out those links and steal some equipment from my mom when I go home for the summer!
  • I'd say that opposed to being tedious and mind numbing, it's something to do while you do something else, like Pokemon. Just knitting might be a bit boring, but knitting while you watch ___ is the way to go.
  • Does paracord count as string?
  • it's something to do while you do something else, like Pokemon.
    That's what I ment to say. =] Sometimes I need to do an activity that occupies and relaxes my mind. Videogames and books are too active for that.

I tried to knitting once when I was little and couldn't do it. I think now is the time to try it again.
  • I am so jelly that I didn't make this, but it is SO AWESOME!

From a DA page.
  • So cool! You could, perhaps, make waffle-cat instead.
  • Totally brought home a sheep and a half from MD S&W. The good parts anyway... not the parts you have to feed and take care of. Just the fleece! Ohhhh, fun fun fun fun. Pics of the whole process of getting it from raw fleece to spinnable fiber to yarn will come soon!
  • The good parts anyway... not the parts you have to feed and take care of. Just the fleece!
    Sooo, you left the tasty bits?
  • The good parts anyway... not the parts you have to feed and take care of. Just the fleece!
    Sooo, you left the tasty bits?
    No, we ATE those. Man, lamb ribs are AWESOME.
  • I recently finished my first pair of socks. They are top down. Nothing special, normal stockinette pattern. I'm currently working on finishing up my first part of toe up socks. I have to say using magic loop is way better than using DPNs. Less chance of seeing laddering in your work. Also toe up is really cool with short wraps.

I think I my next project will be monkey socks. I really love that pattern and I plan on using my special Nuri yarn.

I'm almost finished with the shawl for my mother. Just need to knit a few more inches and add fringe.

I'll eventually post pics later.
  • Pretty sure I'll be buying this ebook of various sock patterns later on this week. Anyone have an other good sock patterns they found and adored?
  • My interest in colorwork socks has been increasing. These are a few of the ones on my list. I am being an terribe person and hotlinking, so if the images disappear, that is why. Whatever; I'm referring you to the place where you can buy the patterns!

Hwaet!

bmp

itha

Slytherin Pride Socks

Bug Out
  • Very nice. Eventually I would like to work on things like that, but after I get a few more sock projects under my belt.
  • Here are a pair of socks I recently finished.

I used a skein of Lion Brand Sock-Ease. Nothing fancy, just a plain stockinette pattern using the toe-up method. The heel was short rows, which is ridiculously easy and simple to use. As for the ribbing, I used twisted rib of (k1tbl, p1). For the bind-off, I used what was recommended in the knitting book of (k2tog, k1) slip those two stitches back onto the left needled then (k2tog, k1) and repeat.

I looked up the Judy's Magic Cast-On and Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off. I'm working on a practice pair of toe-up socks but with a gusset heel instead of short rows. I used Judy's Magic Cast On and it's fucking wonderful. A lot easier than what the book recommended. I also plan on using Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off for my future sock projects.

I did finish the pair of top down socks with another skein of Lion Brand Sock-Ease and for some reason they are looser than the the toe-up. I find it odd because I used the same number of stitches when working in the round. (64 stitches) I wonder how that happened.

As soon as I figure out how to make a gusset heel with using the toe-up method, I'll start working on a fancy patterned sock using Cascade sock yarn. CAN'T WAIT.
  • Ravelry got hacked, yo. Go read the front page, then change your password.

Ro, for a good toe-up gusset heel, check out any of Wendy Johnson's patterns. I like Rivulets Sock; it is free. Just trust the heel instructions and follow them. It will be like magic.
  • Ravelry got hacked, yo. Go read the front page, then change your password.
    Just did. Thanks for the heads up.
    Ro, for a good toe-up gusset heel, check out any of Wendy Johnson's patterns. I like Rivulets Sock; it is free. Just trust the heel instructions and follow them. It will be like magic.
    I'll do that. The practice one I just did had me increase from 64 to 96 stitches. It seemed a bit much and the sock was too loose for my liking. The whole thing was simple enough to do.

I have placing and picking up wraps down pat now!
  • This Yarn Monster is of your interest.
  • This Yarn Monster is of your interest.
    This is very cool, however I would need to purchase a yarn swift for this to be useful and that goes for around $60. Also, most yarn stores have a swift with a yarn winder set up for those who want their skeins wound the day they purchased.

I currently have a normal crank roller and have Jeremy hold the skein for me as I wind it up. There are also issues with an electronic winder in regards to if skein catches on something or gets tangled for some odd reason. You would then have to stop the winding and make sure the electronic winder isn't strong enough to break the yarn.

Best of luck to them.
  • Yes, but this has the double geekery combination of building an electronic device and also using it for yarns.
  • Yes, but this has the double geekery combination of building an electronic device and also using it for yarns.
    Then buy one and build it for me. :P

I am already making stuff with yarn, having to build something else is not worth my time.
  • I finished 1 of 2 bibs that I'm making for a friend.

Rawr! I'm a cute, but scary lion!"
  • I may have a problem.

However, I'm withholding judgment. Indefinitely.
  • Pretty colored batts.

BTW, I saw that my newly spun Serenity yarn is being shipped. I am excited. :D

I'm also knitting socks again and using US 1 (2.25mm) needles. I feel like they are going to snap in my hand as I knit! ^^;;
  • edited June 2011
    LOL. Those aren't batts. Just dyed fleece. I haven't carded them yet!
    BTW, I saw that my newly spun Serenity yarn is being shipped. I am excited. :D
    The Mal yarn is just about done drying and will be coming to you shortly. Mia had a very productive week. :) As for Kaylee, I'm spinning her in July, so it will take a little bit longer. She will be first on the list of my July spinning.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • However, I'm withholding judgment.
    I'm not. You have a problem.

However, that drum carder provides an excellent solution.
  • This was an ad I saw on Ravelry. I am really sad that it was just an ad for a yarn website and not for stickers or shirts... I might email them to see if they will produce something, since this little guy is their logo/mascot.