This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• That would be very cool. I'd be down to buy a stick to put on my car or something.
  • I've discovered an awesome way to start mochi mochi projects. These sorts of projects are normally small stuffed knitted projects that are knitted in the round.

You start with 6 stitches that need to be joined in the round with the first 6 stitches with a kfb (knit front/back) to make it to 12 stitches. This can be annoying an difficult with the cast on twisting and getting even increases on the first round.

I've instead altered it with using Judy's Magic Cast On of 6 stitches, 3 top and 3 on the bottom. Then join in the round using both the working yarn and long tail cast-on in the 6 worked stitches. This creates double stitches or what looks like 12 stitches already on the magic loop. In the next round of knitting you the knit each strand, even tough technically it's only 6 stitches, but 2 loops in each stitch. This makes for an easier increase and secures the long tail cast on.

I should make a video on how to do this.

I'm currently working on a mochi mochi of an animal from an animated series. It's a surprise. :3
    AAAAAAAWWWWWW~!
  • can you guys hook me up with a pattern for a similar face? I can make the scarf and extremities, but I'm not so sure about the face
  • can you guys hook me up with a pattern for a similar face? I can make the scarf and extremities, but I'm not so sure about the face
    The head or the actual muzzle? The Head looks like a basic crochet rows of back and forth with increases and decreases.

The muzzle looks like it was made separately and sewn on. You can either crochet the flat oval shape, then within that you pick up stitches to create an in-the-round type pattern. Or you can crochet a round/cylindrical type amigurumi first then attach it to the face part. The face looks similar to this face, but more oblong than round. The closest thing I've seen so far on Ravelry is this.

For the ears, they look similar to this or that.

That's a cool project. Hope you figure it out.
  • OMG I shall make that toddlers fox ears hat for my godson.
  • edited June 2011
    How make this?
    The official Totoro hoodies are hella weak. Want to make one of these but without the teeth inside the hood.
    Shouldn't be too hard if I get a basic hoodie pattern and there's probably a sewing machine around the house I can use.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • How make this?
    The official Totoro hoodies are hella weak. Want to make one of these but without the teeth inside the hood.
    Shouldn't be too hard if I get a basic hoodie pattern and there's probably a sewing machine around the house I can use.
    I'd say, buy a cheap gray hoodie, deconstruct, swap colors, reassemble.
  • I got my special Nuri yarn with the Mal Capt. Tightpants special spun yarn! It's so soft. I must figure out what to do with it.

I really like the cool cards Nuri with the discount code for my next purchase. Very good idea.
  • Yay! Glad it arrived. I'm going to be spinning Kaylee starting this week, maybe at CTcon. She has a much higher wool content, so I will be trying to spin something suitable for socks should you decide to use it for that. (The fiber is not superwash though, so you'd have to hand wash.)
  • edited August 2011
    I'm thinking of making getting into Cross-Stitching. Do you guys know of any good websites/places where I could get some DMC Floss on the cheap (and perhaps with fast shipping)?
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • No, sorry. I buy all my floss locally. Your basic JoAnn's store has a plethora of colors for normally $0.33/each. You could always check out their shopping website.

I'm sure you have tons of local craft stores that offer them.
  • I've learned three more people to knit! I'm also making another TARDIS, but I figured out how to deal with floats in color work and not have them dangling in the back (not that it matters much with a pushie).
  • Finally finished my first fancy-schmancy diagonal lace socks. I used Judy's Magic Cast On and the super stretchy bind off. I really like toe up socks. I will be making monkey toe ups next.

• So, after 12 years I once again crocheted something. I'm kinda proud of the quality and the fact that I finished the project in well under a day.

• I really should try to do more crochet projects so I can be comfortable with the whole process.

I've gotten back into the knitting groove. I'm finishing up a Jayne hat, making a bib, and making socks to prep for my Fall knitting. I had to frog the monkey socks because the size wasn't to my liking. I think the second time around should be fine.

I have so many other projects that are in hibernation that I just need to finish and be done with, but I have some sort of hang up with not wanting to finish certain projects.
  • My mother in law taught me to knit in August and I'm ready to move away from towels with the cotton yarn she started me on. How do you know what kind of yarn to use for different projects? When would you use superwash merino vs non-superwash vs baby alpaca (the love of my life)?

I'd like to make some hats and other winter accessories for my family as gifts, but I'm not sure what I should actually be making them with.
  • ONE OF US. ONE OF US. YAY! :D

I've only used alpaca to make my mittens and cowl so far, and boy does that stuff keeps you warm. I haven't used it that much, so I haven't had the need to wash them just yet. I do know that it will more than likely need to be hand washed.

Any of the merino I've been using has been Nuri-dyed yarn. If you're making stuff for people, I would recommend the superwash for convenient upkeep. Some people may not want to spend the time to hand wash their items. Cotton = wonderful for people having babies.

Oh mans. It's fall now and I feel so behind on my projects. I have to get ready for present making. I also hope it's going to be a very cold winter so I can wear my stuff more. Knitting fever has begun.

I use cheaper/acrylic yarn for projects that won't be worn and could more than likely handle wear and tear like dice bags or amigurumi/mochi mochi.

Also to all the knitters, I may have some extra Clover bamboo needles that I no longer have use for since I'm a Harmony wood lover for life now. Is anyone interested in them?
  • baby alpaca
    Baby alpaca was my favorite fiber...until I felt my YAK HAT.

Yak down is best!

You should definitely buy your yarn from Nuri. She makes good stuff from what I'm told. Also, you should give her money because she's awesome.
  • You should definitely buy your yarn from Nuri. She makes good stuff from what I'm told. Also, you should give her money because she's awesome.
    Indeed. I warn you though, it's like Pokemon. You want to have them all.

At least now I have more than enough yarn to keep me occupied with projects for a long time now for how much I spent in 2010.
  • ONE OF US. ONE OF US. YAY! :D
    Also to all the knitters, I may have some extra Clover bamboo needles that I no longer have use for since I'm a Harmony wood lover for life now. Is anyone interested in them?
    What size needles you got there Ro? I'm considering buying the pack of Harmony Gold circulars (is there a reason to get straight needles over circulars?) once I'm more flush with cash, but those would be perfect for loaning out.
  • You should definitely buy your yarn from Nuri. She makes good stuff from what I'm told. Also, you should give her money because she's awesome.
    I would just like to note she already bought a bunch of stuff from me. :P

There are a lot of considerations that go into choosing your yarn.
    • Are you knitting plain, cables, lace, gansey (knit & purl to make designs)? For lace, you want a yarn that will block. That means you probably want significant wool content and a strong twist. For cables, you are going to want a smooth yarn with good stitch definition that doesn't pill too much. For gansey, a light colored yarn that also has good stitch definition is best so the shadows accent the design.
    • Are you making hats, sweaters, socks, etc? For socks and gloves, superwash is good because they're going to need to be laundered frequently. Nylon content will help keep them from wearing out as quickly. I'd avoid silk because it tends to wear very quickly. My favorite pair of socks (knit with Panda Silk Print) is unwearable now because it has a gaping hole in one sock. For hats, scarves, and shawls, being washable isn't so important. Warmth and feel may be, so choose accordingly. For a sweater, decide whether you want it to be machine washable or not; if it's gonna be always worn over a heavy long-sleeved shirt, it's not so important to be washable. If you're going to wear it over a tank top and it might get stinky in the armpits, it could be prudent to make it washable.
    • How much memory does it need? Memory is how much a garment will bounce back after being stretched. Wool tends to be better at this than alpaca because the wool fibers are crimpy while the alpaca fibers are only wavy. Silk, bamboo, and other straight fibers won't contribute to memory much at all, but they will give the yarn a lovely drape. If you are making a sweater or socks, you probably want good memory. That means leaning toward wool OR compensating for the permanent stretch by knitting the garment smallish.
    • Who are you knitting it for? Some people are sensitive to wool, mohair, alpaca, or other ingredients. Some vegans don't like garments made with silk because the caterpillars are killed in the process of harvesting the silk.
  • What size needles you got there Ro? I'm considering buying the pack of Harmony Gold circulars (is there a reason to get straight needles over circulars?) once I'm more flush with cash, but those would be perfect for loaning out.
    I really don't recall, but I know I have 10 DPNs, along with US 8s and several fixed circulars. I'll get back to you on what I have later on this afternoon.

As Nuri has recommended, get the Harmony Wood interchangeable set along with various cable lengths. I cannot express enough that's all you pretty much will ever need for most of your projects, unless you are doing sock knitting. Magic loop all the way, even though every now and then I used fixed circulars for some hats. I got 2 sets of the 32" cables because my projects of some hats, shawls, and what not are perfect with that length. Once you get interchangeable needles you will more than likely never need to use straights again. It also fits better when you want to take your knitting projects wherever.
  • So it's fall now. Knitting fever has seriously begun. I'm on frenzy of planning and figuring out what to make for presents for the holidays. What is everyone doing or planning to do?

Here are my current things:

1. Finish up shawl for mom
    2. Finish up monkey socks
    3. Make more hats to donate.
    4. Make scarf for me and finish scarf for Jeremy.
    5. Make leg warmers from scratch from my own design.
    6. Make cat toys.
    7. Make more hats for presents.
    8. Make whatever Secret Santa present.
  • Here are my current things:
    9. Learn to spin my own yarn.
  • 9. Learn to spin my own yarn.
    That means having to buy more tools which is currently not on the budget. :'(
  • That means having to buy more tools which is currently not on the budget. :'(
    You can put it in the budget. You don't need food. What kind of fiber geek are you?
  • You can put it in the budget. You don't need food. What kind of fiber geek are you?
    Make Fibre out of food.

I almost had my own budget breaking foray into Knitting, recently - when I discovered I can get a 1 kilo spool of stainless steel yarn.
  • You can put it in the budget. You don't need food. What kind of fiber geek are you?
    Whatever Nuri makes. :P I really do like merino. I have yet to really experiment with other fibers.

My current budget right now is paying off credit cards, saving monies, and saving up to get an HTPC.

I could always ask for it as a Christmas present, but at the same time it's yet another new hobby to get into. I am honestly fine with the ones I have. I think it would be awesome to learn, but later on.