This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• 9. Learn to spin my own yarn.
    That means having to buy more tools which is currently not on the budget. :'(
    Not really... you can get a drop spindle for like $15. That's the only tool you need. Heck, you could get fiber and tools practically for free if you swap for them. *enable enable enable*
  • Not really... you can get a drop spindle for like $15. That's the only tool you need. Heck, you could get fiber and tools practically for free if you swap for them. *enable enable enable*
    Enabler! Temptress!

Then, I have to spend time on learning. :P I promise, I will attempt to learn how to do such awesome things. Perhaps next year. I could just buy those special batts you're making right now and use them to practice!

GASP! My monies!
  • Then, I have to spend time on learning.
    What, like that comes in limited quantities? ;P
  • Then, I have to spend time on learning.
    What, like that comes in limited quantities? ;P
    Stupid job that gives me good monies but taking up my time.

I think you will like what I am about to request on your spin-a-long.
  • Is there some kind of way to make baby alpaca stop being so damn fuzzy? It's sooo soft, but it'd be nice if it didn't leave white bits of yarn in your hair when worn.
  • Is there some kind of way to make baby alpaca stop being so damn fuzzy? It's sooo soft, but it'd be nice if it didn't leave white bits of yarn in your hair when worn.
    Yes. spin it tighter. Or buy more tightly spun yarn.

If you want to to stop being fuzzy while you knit with it, you can mix a little fabric softener with some water in a spray bottle and spritz the yarn as you are working. It'll get fuzzy again when you wash your FO, but at least it will help keep it under control while you work.
  • This is what I was using. What on there is the indication of tight-spunedness? But that bit about spritzing is definitely useful information for future projects.
  • This is what I was using. What on there is the indication of tight-spunedness? But that bit about spritzing is definitely useful information for future projects.
    That's a really, really loose yarn. The softer and fluffier the yarn, the looser the twist. Usually.

The twist is usually measured in twist per inch (or cm or whatever). You hold a ruler up to the yarn and count the number of twists, as seen here.
  • edited October 2011
    This is what I was using
    I made my cowl and mittens out of that yarn. It is super warm and so soft. I just want to keep rubbing my face on it. I haven't used it enough to have the fuzzies you are talking about.

Edit: My current leg warmer project from scratch is turning out to be fun, but as always very time-consuming. Lots of frogging and starting over and calculations. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to make increases since I'm working from the foot up. It's a half-foot, open-heel leg warmer.

This is my current pattern:
    1. sl 1, k1, psso, yo
    2. knit
    3. m1, k2tog
    4. knit

It's a variant of a braided openwork pattern but instead of a m1, on row 1 I'm using yo for a lace look. It's look pretty good so far.

Edit 2:
    Here is what I have so far. I will more than like frog it again to fix the large hole on the cast on from when I did the bind off for the heel. For the bottom part of the foot, I did an eye of partridge because I love how it looks and it feels thicker for durability.

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I made another one of your Finland hats out of it and it's going to Korea where they've got real winter fairly soon, so I expect it'll get some use (still haven't gotten to wear mine since I made it). The fuzzies got all over the place while I was making it.

I think I'm going to make some cold weather clothes once I graduate as I plan to move to somewhere with winters.
  • I made another one of your Finland hats out of it
    Nice. I really should put that pattern officially on Ravelry sometime. I'm too lazy.

I'm currently making 2 of those for wedding presents out of red yarn (Nuri's actually), for people who live in Kansas and are big Chiefs fans.

I'm also going to be making a Jacques Cousteau hat out of Aslan Trends Royal Alpaca. This yarn is so soft. I plan on adding some blue/green striping contrast color to the hat to the main color of dark gray.
  • edited October 2011
    Said hat. It's really quite warm and cozy. Didn't put on the i-cords because she didn't want them
    image.

EDIT: Found a Death of Rats pattern on Raverly. I know what my mom's getting for Christmas now.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Finally finished those monkey socks with Nuri's Raze the Sky yarn. It's a no purl version of monkey socks. I also had to add a few extra knit stitches to make it large enough for me. Also note the Eye of Partridge heel.

What size needles you got there Ro?
    I finally got around to doing an inventory of what I am willing to part with.

Clover Takumi Bamboo:
    Set of 5 US 11 (8.0mm) DPNs 8"
    Set of 5 US 10 (6.0mm)DPNs 8"
    Pair of US 5 (3.75mm) 9" straights
    Pair of US 4 (3.50mm) 13" straights
    Pair of US 6 (4.00mm) 13" straights
    Pair of US 8 (5.00mm) 13" straights
    US 10 16" fixed circulars
    US 11 16" fixed circulars
    US 10 36" fixed circulars
    US 8 29" fixed circulars

Metallics:
    2 US 8 29" fixed circulars
    US 10 20" fixed circulars
    US 5 16" fixed circulars
    US 7 16" fixed circulars
    Set of 8 US 8 DPNs 7"
    Set of 4 US 5 DPNs 7"
    Set of 4 US 2 (2.75mm) DPNs 7"
  • Jeremy bought me a Knit Picks Yarn Swift with some of his extra school money. This was more than likely because he is tired of helping me wind yarn. It's probably for the best anyways.

It's currently on sale right for $50 and it should qualify for free shipping. A good investment for myself. I look forward to using it.
  • Jeremy bought me a Knit Picks Yarn Swift with some of his extra school money. This was more than likely because he is tired of helping me wind yarn.
    LOL! You will find it one of the most useful tools ever. Congrats. ;)

Also, those socks look rad!
  • My yarn swift arrived today. FUCKING LOVE! I should have purchased one sooner, but now winding yarn is going to be such a breeze.

I almost lost the attachment for the ball winder to clamp to the table. I found it after some extensive searching. I definitely cannot leave the swift out because my cats, especially Rorschach aka destroyer of worlds, was eyeing the wooden wonder with such curiosity.
  • What are people's thoughts about a project using two different weights of yarn?

I want to knit a hat using worsted, but I want to add various stripes on it in different colors. I have some leftover bulky yarn that would look really cool with the striping, but was wondering if it would look bad.

I'll probably test it out and see for myself, but was wondering on others' thoughts.
  • It might work alright since they're not of that different a weight. I've tried worsted and lace and that didn't work well at all.
  • It completely depends on the look you are going for. Swatch it and see. You can also change needle sizes (use smaller ones for the bigger yarn) to get the gauge closer.
  • It completely depends on the look you are going for. Swatch it and see. You can also change needle sizes (use smaller ones for the bigger yarn) to get the gauge closer.
    Yeah, I was thinking about that already. I'm currently planning on using US 5's for the worsted alpaca, but it seems like a DK weight. I'm gauging 6.25 stitches/inch.

With the bulky weight yarn, I will probably have to use US 4's or less. I'll just knit and see. I can always redo it. Like that's not a new concept for me. :P
  • Well I made a test and used the same sized needles with both the worsted (dark gray) and bulky (green) yarns.

You can see the difference, but overall isn't that bad and worked out well. It will be fun making various stripes with this hat.
  • For washing alpaca and other various wool items, what type of mild soap do you use? I've read from various areas on the internet that says I can use a gentle shampoo.

Exactly what does this entail?

I was looking at various liquid soaps around my home. So far I found a soap-free body wash, however it says it is also a moisturizing body wash.

Am I better off buying mild soap that is specialized in cleaning wool products?
  • I've seen Soakwash (http://www.soakwash.com/) and Eucalan (http://www.eucalan.com/) recommended for delicate items. I haven't actually used it but my local yarn stores carry both and I'll be grabbing one on my next visit.
  • You can use shampoo, but a nice wool wash product is the best because it has stuff in it that helps to condition the wool. If you use shampoo, you should also use a conditioner after and you will have to rinse it all out. I like the rinse-free wool wash products.

Soak Unleash is my favorite - it has a nice mild melony scent. I haven't used Eucalan but I'm pretty sure it is similar. If you have something that's kind of dusty, you might want to wash it in something like Kookaburra tea tree wool wash to kill the dust mites the first time. All of these products come in concentrated form, so one bottle will last for a long time. They last pretty long even for me, and I use my Soak to rinse most of my dyed wool and yarn. One small bottle goes a long way.

The key to choosing a soap (if you go that route) is to choose one that is NOT ALKALINE and has as few additives as possible. Alkalinity damages protein fibers, and the more additives the more likely you are to have something that reacts badly with wool. This is why using something like a shampoo, which is designed for hair already, is just easier.

~Nuri
  • Just came to the derp realization that wool is hair. Someone should knit Rym's hair into something while it is still on his head. Just have like, a sock hanging off the back of his head or something.
  • Thanks for all the info. I'll check is my LYSs carry any of these products.
  • Just came to the derp realization that wool is hair. Someone should knit Rym's hair into something while it is still on his head. Just have like, a sock hanging off the back of his head or something.
    Weeeell, no, technically they are different things. Hair has a slightly different structure than wool. If it doesn't come from a sheep, it's not technically wool. Wool is much more elastic than hair because of its crimped structure. Of course there is variation in wool among sheep breeds - some sheep wool is very similar to hair. Some animals have dual coats: guard hair and a wool/down undercoat. It's very complicated. Human hair is a pretty gigantic pain in the ass to spin because it is very smooth and has a large diameter. It wouldn't stick together well and would be prickly and inelastic.

• Went to my LYS and found a shampoo called Friendly Products Sweater Soap that seemed to work well when I cleaned my socks and hat.

I also couldn't help myself and bought this 100% superwash merino sock yarn.

It's so pretty. They had a lot of amazing colors that I wanted, but I choose the blue/green skein because I need more blue socks to coordinate with various outfits.