This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Martial Arts Thread

Comments

• You can't do that at a con.
    You can't even do it at ten cons.
    I can do it. I can do it nine times.
    What???
    Homestar runner.
    Homestar runner... good times.
  • Got promoted to yellow belt today. Complete surprise, no test or anything. I guess that doesn't come until you get to the higher ranks. In any case, any pride I might've felt was tempered by the 10-year-old girls being promoted alongside me. :)
  • any pride I might've felt was tempered by the 10-year-old girls being promoted alongside me. :)
    I took my test for my blue belt, and though it felt good that I was doing so well, I felt that I was assured the belt thanks to all the small children alongside me doing not so well, which kind of ruined my pride also... I'm not that old, still a teenager, but I feel that I'm too old to be doing this.
    But I hope I haven't seemed too negative, this blue belt is a great achievement! :D
  • I'm not that old, still a teenager, but I feel that I'm too old to be doing this.
    Well, I'm 30 and a lowly yellow belt. :) Obviously, it all comes down to when you started (or in your case, when you returned), and I think just having the balls to do it trumps anything else. :)
  • I'm not that old, still a teenager, but I feel that I'm too old to be doing this.
    Well, I'm 30 and a lowly yellow belt. :) Obviously, it all comes down to when you started (or in your case, when you returned), and I think just having the balls to do it trumps anything else. :)
    Thank you for your support and confirmation of my masculinity. :]
  • We just got a couple of Dollamur flexi-roll mats for our house -- two 5'x10's for a total of 10'x10' -- it's pretty big, big enough that it was hard to take a picture of it. Plenty big for matwork, but a little small for standup, other than static throws. Still, it's super awesome to be able to roll a bit and work on technique at home. I'll have my girlfriend pwning the guys at the dojo on the mat in no time. :)
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe you guys could suggest a martial art for me to try. Here a my biological specifications:

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 210lbs

Tolerance for Pain: higher than average

Past exercise history:
    Bicyclist for 10 years plus. Emphasis on speed (Top speed 24mph) and light off road (forests and trails), I've only ever ridden mountain bikes.

1 semester strength training class: Excelled at leg exercises and sit down crunches.

High school Drama Class: Carried two girls under my arms for an extended length on stage. They couldn't have weighed more than 120lbs a piece.

8 years of moving computer towers around.

Running Endurance: lower than average, but can give a good chase if need (with wheezing directly after)

Biking Endurance: Very High. I've biked for hours on end through woods and up hills. I've gotten plenty sweaty but I've never felt tired enough to stop.

My legs and back are, at least to what I can gather, my key strength areas.

My arms are, more or less, noodle like. I don't think I have ever done a curl using more than 25 lbs. When I have lifted something heavy, my arms have always been, essentially, a connection from the object to my back. That being said, I have been working on them so they can be fast and accurate.

If you need any more information, just ask. Please don't say sumo.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe you guys could suggest a martial art for me to try. Here a my biological specifications:
    I think the right martial art for you has a lot less to do with your body type and fitness, and more to do with your goals. There are some arts that are good if you want to compete, or just go hard in the gym against your training partners; there are arts that are aesthetically pleasing, and probably fun to do, but maybe not terribly practical (capoeira, I'm looking at you), and there are arts that are self-defense oriented, and claim to teach you how to fight off multiple attackers and disarm knife-wielding assailants. I have strong suspicions about these arts, but that's neither here nor there.

Of course, there's also the issue of what arts are available in your area, and what you can afford.

So what is it that you want to get out of your training?
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Muay Thai or BJJ.

Still looking for a place to train in Champaign.
  • edited June 2010
    Martial arts is about %50 - %60 of what Code and I talk about. We just had a pretty lengthy conversation about the differences between martial arts, actually. Here's the most relevant bit:

[1:27:15 AM] Code: now that I think about it, there are about 3 types of martial arts in my mind
    [1:27:46 AM] Code: first are the combatives, developed to kill by the military or some japanese feudal group or whatever and kept relevant.
    [1:28:26 AM] Code: then there are the mma types, muai thai, jiu jitsu. They are the staples of the mma sport now and pretty mainstream as far as figting goes
    [1:28:45 AM] Code: and then there are the more traditional less combative arts. Kung fu etc etc
    [1:29:46 AM] Wingdings: Some of which even started out as more of a spiritual experience than anything, as far as I can tell.
    [1:30:08 AM] Code: yeah, I totally agree
    [1:30:38 AM] Code: the only thing that really bothers me is when someone tries to argue that one is more of another class than it really is
    [1:31:19 AM] Wingdings: That or when someone in one class talks down to any other class
    [1:31:34 AM] Code: I don't pretend systema is a sporting style. shoot fighting isn't about beautiful kata and flowing movement. Kung fu really isn't about killing someone instantly.
    [1:32:21 AM] Code: yeah, as far as I'm concerened as a practitioner you should know and accept what your art is about. If you're in it for other reasons than switch the art you are in. That's my argument really
    [1:32:48 AM] Code: don't try kung fu on a guy with a knife on the street. Please please don't do that.
    [1:32:58 AM] Wingdings: Hee
    [1:33:11 AM] Code: I kind of laugh at Rym's martial arts talks
    [1:33:18 AM] Code: they are a source of much amusement

It looks like you're athletic enough to learn anything if you really want to. Some of the more traditional martial arts are also contact sports, so if you want regulated competition and MMA sounds too hardcore then Tae Kwon Do or Karate might be the way to go. If you want to get into flashy stuff like you see in martial arts movies and demos, then pretty much anything in that third class will do the trick, though, being biased, I would recommend Tae Kwon Do. I can't speak much for the other two types, but Code/Sova has plenty of experience, so he can tell you what those are like.

Overall, what you're interested in learning is almost always more important than what your body is built for learning. Strength will come if you're dedicated.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Muay Thai or BJJ.
    Are you recommending those for Sonic?

I love MT and BJJ, but they're not necessarily the right arts for everyone. MT especially is very hard on your body, and it's a very competition-and-hard-sparring-oriented art. If you're not comfortable being punched in the face, it's probably not for you. It WILL get you in excellent shape, though. Best shape of my life was when I was training MT.
    Still looking for a place to train in Champaign.
    Champaign, Il? Maybe this place?
  • edited June 2010
    I've heard of that guy. Fucking expensive, but probably worth it. I roll with enough crazy assholes that at least one of us should know how to hold shit down.

This was the other place, but it looks sketchy.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited June 2010
    I might be stuck with judo. Fuck.
    Judo's actually really awesome, and it fills in a big gap in BJJ, which is that BJJ has shit takedowns. Of course, most judo schools don't do nearly enough matwork, but it's in there -- pretty much everything in BJJ came from judo originally. And if you do judo, I'm sure you can get some mats and some judo buddies and work on BJJ stuff from books and youtube and whatnot. Ground grappling is kinda unique in that I think it's maybe the only kind of martial arts that you can learn reasonably well without a live instructor.
    I've heard of that guy. Fucking expensive, but probably worth it.
    BJJ is always expensive -- $100/month is a deal. MT can be pretty expensive too.
    This was the other place,but it looks sketchy.
    The website looks sketchy, but if they're a Gracie Barra affiliate, they're probably legit.
  • This was the other place,but it looks sketchy.
    The website looks sketchy, but if they're a Gracie Barra affiliate, they're probably legit.
    Sounds good. That place is $125/mo for unlimited BJJ and MT. They seem to cater more towards the students; I'll check it out.
  • My gut feeling tells me to recommend military style martial arts. Learn something that will teach you how to break someone's arm as you throw them to the ground then stomp their throat. If they teach you how to deal with multiple people at once that's a plus. Ask guys who are in the forces what kind of CQC training they have and which styles they liked best.
  • edited June 2010
    Question to the experts:

Adam and I are looking into taking a martial arts class (or a dance class) together. I am familiar with dance classes and their pricing, but I am not familiar with martial arts classes and their pricing. Adam is familiar with the classes, but he hasn't taken any in so long, that his information as to fee is probably greatly skewed. To avoid sticker shock and to understand a bit about the value v. price issues involved in selecting a martial arts class, I would like to ask y'all about how much classes cost (a range is fine) and how their fee structures work. I have looked online quite a bit and it appears that many have contracts (much like gyms). Others seem to have pay-as-you-go type fees. Is there a standard? What is reasonable?

I am not looking to become an ass-kicking machine, I am just looking for a fun physical activity that Adam and I can enjoy together that focuses on grace and strength (preferably not with a ton of children in the same class). We have been biking, but once winter rolls around, we will definately need an indoor activity.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Well, it really depends on the type of training you do, but generally speaking you'll be looking at around $50-$125 or so a month from my experience. Some places have weird payment plans too though, just do the standard 'figure out cost per month' type of calculations and it should be pretty obvious if it's a ripoff or not. I highly suggest you try out some places before paying for classes. If they don't offer a couple classes free then haggle with them and you should be able to get them. If not be suspicious, there's nothing worse than McDojos who only care about money, you'll just have to pay more and more as time goes on at those places. Also make sure that the price doesn't skyrocket as you advance, that's a load of BS right there.
  • edited June 2010
    Is anyone familiar with Jeet Kune Do? I've been reading up on some of the local martial arts programs and this seems to be the one I find most interesting. Honestly, what attracts me the most is the fact that it seems at least marginally more "useful" and it appears to avoid a lot of the pseudo-religious/"eastern philosophy" BS that really turns me off to some of the other schools in the area. Also, there is no belt system. Your skills and your abilities are your skills and your abilities - there are no somewhat arbitrary "levels." The only thing that makes me wary is the $200.00 start up fee that appears to be in addition to the monthly fee. Is a start up fee (which includes equipment and a "semi-private" training session) normal?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Never trust a place that doesn't allow you to try it out for a short period free.
  • Never trust a place that doesn't allow you to try it out for a short period free.
    Most definitely THIS. Any school that is worth a damn will at the very least let you observe their classes and most likely let you participate in a few sessions before they ask you to pay any fees.

@ Kate: if you're looking for a martial art that is useful for self defense & fitness and isn't encumbered by any of the extra baggage, JKD is probably what you want. Bruce Lee's take on it when forming it was to keep what worked and get rid of the stuff that didn't. No extraneous philosophy, no belts, no BS. I've often thought that most other organized martial arts use the belt system as just another way to keep you attending classes. As Mr. Miyagi said in The Karate Kid, "In Okinawa, have belt mean no need rope to hold up pants."
  • I was always told that Krav Maga and Jiu Jitsu were among the most practical for actual usefulness.
    This place has a free session. However, their "start up package" of $200.00 on top of their montly fee seems excessive to me. I this an industry norm?
  • Adam and I are looking into taking a martial arts class (or a dance class) together.
    I can pretty much give you the same advice I gave to Sonic at the top of this page: What art you choose will depend largely on your goals, as well as what you can afford and what's available in your area. You have a background in Greco-Roman, right? Judo would probably feel really natural to you, and tends not to be very expensive, since judo dojos are often run more as a community thing than as a commercial venture. We pay about $30/month.
    Is anyone familiar withJeet Kune Do? ... The only thing that makes me wary is the $200.00 start up fee that appears to be in addition to the monthly fee. Is a start up fee (which includes equipment and a "semi-private" training session) normal?
    The thing about JKD is that it's more of a philosophy of martial arts than a curriculum of martial arts. That means that any two JKD schools will probably teach you radically different things. Some schools are basically teaching MMA skills and calling it JKD, while others are teaching more "traditional" techniques. The only way to know is to check out the school. As for the "start up fee", it's not really standard, but it may not be a scam. Depending on the equipment you need (gloves, handwraps, headgear, shinguards, mouthpiece? -- again, this will depend on what "kind" of JDK it is), that can add up, and private lessons are always pretty expensive.
    Never trust a place that doesn't allow you to try it out for a short period free.
    I don't think that's necessarily fair. Every school should at least let you watch classes, but some schools won't let you participate until you've signed up for insurance reasons. My judo dojo is very reputable (10th largest dojo in the US, probably a dozen blackbelts including a 5th and a 6th dan), but they won't let anyone step onto the mat until they've paid their US Judo Federation membership which covers insurance.
    I was always told that Krav Maga and Jiu Jitsu were among the most practical for actual usefulness.
    What's practical for self-defense is a neverending philosophical discussion/flamewar in martial arts.
  • practical, imo, comes down mostly to how you train. More full contact with sparring and less dance is a good sign. Again, if you want to go hardcore talk to cops/military personnel and ask them what kinds of things they're learning. Stress training is also a good thing. Basically think of it like this, the situation you train in is the situation you will excel in, so if you want to be able to fight off multiple attackers then you better be fighting of multiple people regularly in training.

Kata = dance. If you want to do a cool dance then kata is alright, but imo it's more direct to just go to a dance academy. I have a combat oriented mindset if you couldn't tell, and personally I like doing systema, and despite all of the crazy stuff you hear about it's mostly hitting/takedowns/countering, in other words real movement causing real damage.
  • The arguments I've heard for Krav Maga is that it is the official martial art of the Iraeli Defense Forces. As for Jiu Jitsu, it's all about really damaging people after they're on the ground, and my friend said that the overwhelming majority of normal fights that happen in bars and such end up on the ground.
  • edited June 2010
    personally I like doing systema, and despite all of the crazy stuff you hear about it's mostly hitting/takedowns/countering,
    Do you have any links to videos or anything that show this kind of stuff? Pretty much everything I've seen of systema looks like magical pressure point stuff and how to defend against someone punching you at half speed with their guard down.
    The arguments I've heard for Krav Maga is that it is the official martial art of the Iraeli Defense Forces.
    This is basically an appeal to authority. Every army has their hand-to-hand systems, and they all need to be something that can be taught (as a last resort when you've lost your rifle, sidearm, and knife, I guess) relatively quickly. I don't think they compare to more fully developed martial arts. From personal experience, I know that at my old gym, when the Krav Maga guys would drop in on the muay thai and BJJ classes, they were basically ragdolls, and we could do whatever we wanted to them.
    As for Jiu Jitsu, it's all about really damaging people after they're on the ground, and my friend said that the overwhelming majority of normal fights that happen in bars and such end up on the ground.
    I wasn't sure what kind of jiu jitsu you were talking about, but I guess you mean BJJ. The thing about BJJ is that it's predicated almost entirely on ground fighting, and really, if you end up on the ground in a barfight, you stand a good chance of being stomped into a coma by the guy's friends. I think it's definitely important to have some kind of ground skills, because it's true that you're likely to end up on the ground in a street fight, but intentionally taking the fight there, or staying down once you're there, are bad ideas.

I think judo or sambo are better options as a grappling art for self-defense -- it''ll make you very difficult to take down, you'll be able to throw people to the ground hard without going down yourself, and you'll learn at least the basics of groundfighting.
  • edited June 2010

also heres a good multiple attacker vid

Done at a slower speed for teaching purposes. Sibirskiy Vjun has some other cool stuff, they're a group from siberia, also Valentin Vasiliev out in Munster Germany has some decent stuff. The best ones are the training vids imo though, which I own, but I'm not posting them up here.

The best way to see it is to actually see it in person. It's hard to see what the heck happened at full speed, so almost everything you'll see is going to be pretty slow considering it's usually for training purposes. Full speed it just looks like someone getting twisted up/falling over and getting kicked/hit, which is pretty boring.

Edit: here's a good video where he kind of explains the concepts of what he's doing as he does them, but he speaks Russian so they're kind of broken english, but it's good enough to get what he's trying to talk about if you watch him

here's a more flashy ridiculous video of joy
    Post edited by Sova on
  • The arguments I've heard for Krav Maga is that it is the official martial art of the Iraeli Defense Forces it is Jewish, so it must be good. Also, it is cheaper than retail martial arts.
    Ha-ha... racism. ^_~
  • @Kate: Jeet koon do is a martial art Bruce Lee developed. Watch some Bruce Lee movies for examples.
  • edited June 2010
    Pretty much everything I've seen of systema looks like magical pressure point stuff and how to defend against someone punching you at half speed with their guard down.
    Been Watching Vasilliev videos, have you? Ignore that guy - He is a serious badass, but most of the time you see him, he wastes his time on magical woo woo no touch knockouts and that sorta bullshit. I won't say he's the first person to introduce that fuckery into systema, but I think he's pretty close to the source.
    However, despite his woo, I repeat my previous statement - He's a fucking badass. I've not seen him in action personally, but my girlfriend's brother, I respect his opinion as a martial artist, and he has trained with him, and apparently, Vasilliev is the serious business when it comes to the fighting, but has an unfortunate serious proclivity for woo, and that kinda removes him in my mind as someone you'd want to be treating too seriously.

However - If you want, There is a english bloke called Martin Wheeler who has a Systema school in LA, and he's the business. Extremely well trained, one of the world masters, and as a bonus The only one-Touch knockout he'll advocate is when that one touch is your arm around their neck, choking them into unconsciousness - so you don't have to bother with all of the I've seen this guy in action personally, when he was in Dover last, and I will say, and he's very, very good.
    A martial artist I respect immensely, and who used to train kenpo as a career, has trained at his school for a little while, and she rates him extremely highly.
    (edited - I had that final comment aimed at the wrong guy - she respects WHEELER immensely.)
    Post edited by Churba on