This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Martial Arts Thread

12345679»

Comments

• Yeah there is that as well. I was trying for a more diplomatic stance than; Ronda brought into her own hype, her team didn't do their jobs and she got the crap kicked out of her for it.
  • She still got paid, and is going to get a bigger payday when people tune in for the rematch.
  • Well, I don't do this, but I do dress up in armor and beat people with sticks for fun. So I can vouch that the principle of getting geared up and beating the shit out of your friends with clubs is wicked wicked fun.

Painful, but fun.

I want so badly for it to become a thing, but I'm not optimistic at this point.

• Churba said:

Well, I don't do this, but I do dress up in armor and beat people with sticks for fun. So I can vouch that the principle of getting geared up and beating the shit out of your friends with clubs is wicked wicked fun.

Painful, but fun.

I want so badly for it to become a thing, but I'm not optimistic at this point.

Well, it sorta is. Here, find some nerds and beat the shit out of them.
  • Ha, I meant the electronic one. You say this like I haven't already brawled it up with a few SCA nerds. I've fucked around with River Haven, Barony of St Florian, and Willowby Vale a few times over the years - there's a fair bit of crossover between theatre and SCA here, though I'm not an SCA member.
  • Well, I don't do this, but I do dress up in armor and beat people with sticks for fun. So I can vouch that the principle of getting geared up and beating the shit out of your friends with clubs is wicked wicked fun.

Painful, but fun.

I have a friend who did this as part of the Nova Scotia chapter for a number of years. He was way way into it, and frequently told stories where he would drop the visor on his helmet, and he would cease to be a rational human being. He had someone forfeit a match before a single blow was struck, just based on the look in his eyes.

But that said, he had to retire in his mid 30s, both from the combat as well as from his job, due to a number of serious concussions.

His doctors have diagnosed him with over 100 concussions, and he is now part of an experimental research group for it, where he is the only member who isn't a former football player.

It's pretty serious, once I held up my phone in front of him to show him something, and he almost vomited because he couldn't deal with quickly refocusing his vision to the small lit screen.

Basically what I'm saying is, watch your head. :P
  • When I said something was dumb and wouldn't catch on, I was talking specifically about:

"The Sport Of The Future Is MMA vs Batman"

No it isn't. It just isn't. SCA and Kendo are fine. Computerized suits are stupid.

• edited November 2015
    Churba said:

Ha, I meant the electronic one. You say this like I haven't already brawled it up with a few SCA nerds. I've fucked around with River Haven, Barony of St Florian, and Willowby Vale a few times over the years - there's a fair bit of crossover between theatre and SCA here, though I'm not an SCA member.

I figured as much, but ya never know.

Dude I know backed this Kickstarter a while back, and while they haven't delivered yet, they do look like they have some interesting potential.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • UncleUlty said:

Well, I don't do this, but I do dress up in armor and beat people with sticks for fun. So I can vouch that the principle of getting geared up and beating the shit out of your friends with clubs is wicked wicked fun.

Painful, but fun.

I have a friend who did this as part of the Nova Scotia chapter for a number of years. He was way way into it, and frequently told stories where he would drop the visor on his helmet, and he would cease to be a rational human being. He had someone forfeit a match before a single blow was struck, just based on the look in his eyes.

But that said, he had to retire in his mid 30s, both from the combat as well as from his job, due to a number of serious concussions.

His doctors have diagnosed him with over 100 concussions, and he is now part of an experimental research group for it, where he is the only member who isn't a former football player.

It's pretty serious, once I held up my phone in front of him to show him something, and he almost vomited because he couldn't deal with quickly refocusing his vision to the small lit screen.

Basically what I'm saying is, watch your head. :P
    Oh god yeah, its brutal. I've dislocated my shoulder twice, broken fingers and thumbs, broke and fractured ribs and been poked in the eye more times than I can remember. Have dodged being hit in the nuts though. Still it is bloody amazing and would keep on doing no matter what.
  • Amp said:

Yeah there is that as well. I was trying for a more diplomatic stance than; Ronda brought into her own hype, her team didn't do their jobs and she got the crap kicked out of her for it.

I would put it on a combo of her dealing with a lot of drama and outside stuff and her team completely dropping the ball on scouting and prepping for Holm. She needs a whole new training camp.
  • edited November 2015

Computerized suits are stupid.

I think my biggest issue is that it puts another barrier between the audience and the human element of the competition.

Boxing, MMA, wrestling, and other person-to-person sport martial arts have a certain purity of competition about them. Two people, with no outside factors, exercising their bodies in an attempt to assert dominance. It's pure human effort and accomplishment, and there's little else getting between you and the fighter.

Even in geared sport martial arts - kendo, fencing, WMA, canne de combat, etc - there is still a relative simplicity.

But these suits add a tech complexity that nobody really asked for. It's electronic for the sake of being electronic, and the suits themselves look too much like a robot to allow you to feel for the competitors.

Still, I think it's got potential. Their marketing is awful, but I could see it going somewhere. Dunno about "sport of the future."
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I forgot to mention, I'm now officially the year-end number-one ranked combat juggler!

http://fightnightcombat.com/points-and-rankings-2015.html

* Only because the one juggler better than me isn't taking part in the end of year finals tournament in a few weeks.

** This is a sport I organize, and using a ranking system I designed.
  • Combat juggling is the sport of the future.

How future? It might have to end up being zero-g combat juggling if it takes too long.

Unlike Batman Kendo, combat is a real sport right now. As of this past weekend there are just under 500 registered participants, with 40 official tournaments in 2015. Batman Kendo? I'm guessing they still only have two suits, and maybe 20 people have tried it ever.
  • WTF is Batman Kendo?
  • Oh that thing. Yeah, that's super dumb.
  • Wow, that is the dumbest.

If you want some interesting 1 v 1 weapons fighting, it's already been invented. It's called Soul Calibur.

Unlike Batman Kendo, combat is a real sport right now. As of this past weekend there are just under 500 registered participants, with 40 official tournaments in 2015. Batman Kendo? I'm guessing they still only have two suits, and maybe 20 people have tried it ever.
    20 sounds generous. I'm betting it'll stay at two suits ever.

Good on you for the combat juggling, by the by. It's cool as hell to watch.