This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Driving

Comments

• I can't shift into park because the shifter is messed up, so I have to leave it in neutral and pull the emergency brake anytime I park.
    You should use the e-brake either way.
  • There is only one use I see for guns, and one reason to have them. To shoot the tires of cars and the drivers who think that public roads are there to rough house on with their cars. God damned punk kids, get your shit to a track. They're MADE for you to rough house at.
    pull the emergency brake anytime I park.
    What. What is this shit doing on these forums? Why do you make me froth at the mouth?! That's the fucking hand brake also called the parking brake for a reason. Don't call it an emergency brake, less you will start engaging that fucker in actual emergencies. DO NOT DO THAT YOU IDIOT, unless you just want to be sure that you'll die, then by all means, pull it in the middle of the fucking high way when you're doing 100mph.
  • SAABs used to have the hand-brake on the front wheels, so it actually could be used in emergencies.
  • pull the emergency brake anytime I park.
    What. What is this shit doing on these forums? Why do you make me froth at the mouth?! That's the fucking hand brake also called theparking brakefor a reason. Don't call it an emergency brake, less you will start engaging that fucker in actual emergencies. DO NOT DO THAT YOU IDIOT, unless you just want to be sure that you'll die, then by all means, pull it in the middle of the fucking high way when you're doing 100mph.
    The fact of the matter is that if you have a hand brake, and you need to stop in a hurry, hand brake plus foot brake works really well. One time my brake line ruptured so I pulled the hand brake and my car stopped.

A hand brake is an emergency brake in an emergency situation.
  • A hand brake is an emergency brake in an emergency situation.
    Hand brake + some speed = flip.
  • A hand brake is an emergency brake in an emergency situation.
    Hand brake + some speed = P-p-p-power slide!
    FTFY
  • also called theparking brakefor a reason.
    Hey jackass, it's used in emergencies too. It does two things. I'm sorry I hit a sensitive spot with you, but calm the fuck down.
  • I can't shift into park because the shifter is messed up, so I have to leave it in neutral and pull the emergency brake anytime I park.
    This thing you just did, don't do that thing. Only using park to hold your car in place kinda fucks up your transmission in most cars, sometimes, It'll just be "Park" that's rooted, but it's quite possible to really mess the entire thing up.
  • edited February 2010
    I can't shift into park because the shifter is messed up, so I have to leave it in neutral and pull the emergency brake anytime I park.
    This thing you just did, don't do that thing. Only using park to hold your car in place kinda fucks up your transmission in most cars, sometimes, It'll just be "Park" that's rooted, but it's quite possible to really mess the entire thing up.
    So what do I do? There's no other option. I would have to replace the whole shifter assembly. That car isn't worth replacing a cupholder, much less the whole damned shifter.

Edit: Wait, are you saying not to leave it in park, or not to leave the parking break on with it in neutral?
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Don't leave it JUST in park. Always use a parking brake.
  • Edit: Wait, are you saying not to leave it in park, or not to leave the parking break on with it in neutral?
    I'm Saying don't just leave it in park, that'll screw your transmission. Handbrake + Neutral is fine, and Park + Handbrake is fine, but don't just leave it in Park.
  • So you're not actually telling him not to do anything he said he didn't not do.
  • edited February 2010
    So you're not actually telling him not to do anything he said he didn't not do.
    Yes. Don't not do doing what I tell you to do. Or something.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • , but don't just leave it in Park.
    Why?
  • edited February 2010
    Why?
    It puts undue stress on the transmission, if you're driving an Auto - though mostly when you're parking on an incline(as most driveways are, to varying degrees). When I was working as a mechanic, We had one woman who broke her transmission this way no less than three times, my mother and sister have broken theirs this way at least once each since they started driving autos.

The parking pawl isn't the most hardy device in the world - It's usually a single pin that engages a wheel with a notch in your transmission, which essentially locks the output shaft to the transmission casing.

Sometimes, it's only the parking pawl that goes down the tubes, sometimes it's the transmission linkage that dies (Let me tell you about the time we had to replace a gearbox in a Mercedes van for just that reason. It has lots of creative swearing. He only ever used park, not the handbrake, and it had been slowly getting worse, and worse, untill one day he jumps in while he's in a hurry, turns the key, and tries to drive off - cue transmission fluid EVERYWHERE, a transmission that looked like a small child with ADHD had taken it apart and put it back together halfway before getting bored and an entirely non-operable van) but if you do so over a period of time, there is a good chance your transmission is going to snuff it.

Also, if your car is only in Park, and someone hits your stationary car from behind, or your car is pushed hard enough, you're likely to massacre your transmission completely.

Even manufacturers don't recommend that you do it, and I'm damned if I know a single mechanic who would say it's alright, though I obviously can't speak for all of them. It's simply not designed to keep the car stationary entirely on it's own.
    Post edited by Churba on
    edited February 2010
    I repeat. The only reason to have guns is to shoot these punk kid drivers (mentality, not physical age). God I hate your kind and you should be banned from using anything that weighs over a hundred pounds. This includes organics like your body.

Australia has eroded.

EDIT:
    Why?
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF- I thought you loved cars! Isn't it OBVIOUS why setting only your transmission to keep your chunk of metal, that weighs several THOUSANDS OF POUNDS, in place is stupid? All Churba said should already be known by you if you have even the simplest understanding of Newton's Laws of Motion.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU PEOPLE TAUGHT IN THE STATES? "That's the gas pedal, push it, you go forward. Good. Congratulations, you've got your license"?

NEW YORK HAS DROWNED.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I repeat. The only reason to have guns is to shoot these punk kid drivers (mentality, not physical age). God I hate your kind and you should be banned from using anything that weighs over a hundred pounds. This includes organics like your body.
    Man, you gonna pop a vessel or something one of these days.
    Australia has eroded.
    Yet, my little sister could still kick your ass up and down the street.
  • The parking pawl isn't the most hardy device in the world - It's usually a single pin that engages a wheel with a notch in your transmission, which essentially locks the output shaft to the transmission casing.
    Very interesting, I did not know this, thanks for the explanation.
    I thought you loved cars! Isn't it OBVIOUS why setting only your transmission to keep your chunk of metal, that weighs several THOUSANDS OF POUNDS, in place is stupid? All Churba said should already be known by you if you have even the simplest understanding of Newton's Laws of Motion.
    1) FUCK OFF! I drive stick, I don't know or care how autos work for the most part.
    2) By that logic why on earth would I ever trust my transmission to MOVE my multi-ton vehicle!
  • Very interesting, I did not know this, thanks for the explanation.
    Despite it being long and preachy. Sorry about that.
    edited February 2010
    1) FUCK OFF! I drive stick, I don't know or care how autos work for the most part.
    I too drive stick, I don't know or care how automatic transmissions work in detail either, I however do take the minute it takes to deduce why it might be a stupid idea to use a power transfer box to halt movement compared to using a brake that is specifically made to halt movement.
    2) By that logic why on earth would I ever trust my transmission to MOVE my multi-ton vehicle!
    Wrong logic. The logic is that your transmission is build to transfer power to the wheels, NOT to prevent the wheels from moving. I hope that cleared it up.

CHINA IS HAVING WATER PROBLEMS, ALL OF CHINA.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I too drive stick, I don't know or care how automatic transmissions work in detail either, I however do take the minute it takes to deduce why it might be a stupid idea to use a power transfer box to halt movement compared to using a brake that is specifically made to halt movement.
    No one is talking about throwing it in park to stop the car.
    The logic is that your transmission is build to transfer power to the wheels, NOT to prevent the wheels from moving.
    I'm pretty sure the forces involved in moving a car are far greater than those which keep it stationary.
  • No one is talking about throwing it in park to stop the car.
    No, we're talking about halting movement after having stopped. Don't twist stuff.
    I'm pretty sure the forces involved in moving a car are far greater than those which keep it stationary.
    Yes, but your gearbox is designed to transfer those forces to the wheels. Brakes are designed to stop and halt movement, NOT gearboxes.
  • No, we're talking about halting movement after having stopped. Don't twist stuff.
    Just FYI, halt = stop. I'm not sure what you think halt means.
    Yes, but your gearbox is designed to transfer those forces to the wheels.
    But it's all gears, the forces can go the other way. I leave my saab on hills all the time with only reverse to hold it. But it's a manual.
  • Just FYI, halt = stop. I'm not sure what you think halt means.
    I used it in the 'impede movement' definition.
    But it's all gears, the forces can go the other way. I leave my saab on hills all the time with only reverse to hold it. But it's a manual.
    As Churba said, the Park on an automatic basically locks the box to prevent it from going either way. Yes, you can just put it in Park, or reverse on hills in your case, but there's a better alternative for that.
  • OzOz
    edited February 2010
    I'm learning to drive in my dad's Nissan Maxima (5th generation). It's nice, and since it has a stick shift, I actually get to learn how to drive properly (as opposed to the Driver's Ed class which I started yesterday. They teach us in an autoamtic.) I'm really enjoying driving, but my dad and the driving teacher have two completely different approaches to driving. My dad learned to drive by teaching himself, and then taking a race-car driving course a few years after that. Needless to say, he is a fairly reckless driver. He does really know what he is talking about, and I'm learning a lot more about real-world driving with him than in any class. For example, when it snowed here in North Carolina, my driving lesson was not "How to drive safely in adverse weather", but "How to do doughnuts in a right hand drive Jeep".

On the other hand is my driving instructor. To paraphrase Ferris Bueller, she is so uptight that if you stuck a piece of coal up her ass, it would be a diamond in a few days. She is possibly the strictest person I have ever met. No eating/talking/moving/reading/drinking/anything else is the foundation of her classes' rules. When I took out a can of kidney beans and a can opener, she almost exploded. Her approach to driving was exemplified when she told us that "Wimps are the best drivers in the world." I swear, when we get to the actual driving course, I hope she isn't as strict.

Regardless of who is driving, I still think driving is really, really fun. I am by no means a car crazed person, but I do enjoy driving, or at least what I've done so far.

Also, Top Gear is awesome.

Also, the driving school's website hurts my soul.
    Post edited by Oz on
  • I used it in the 'impede movement' definition.
    fair enough.
    As Churba said, the Park on an automatic basically locks the box to prevent it from going either way. Yes, you can just put it in Park, or reverse on hills in your case, but there's a better alternative for that.
    Hence my question as to why you shouldn't do it. How can it be bad to use something capable of handling hundreds of lb-ft/N-m of torque not be able to hold the weight of the vehicle. I didn't understand why this was bad, Churba explained it quite nicely.

As for my case, the hand brake on a SAAB 9-5 is not really meant to be used. Mine is in dis-repair at the moment, only works if I pull it up to the handle stop and only on one wheel. Also there's water in the lines so if it's cold outside it'll freeze on and not release. That's actually why it's so bad, it froze on and I had to drive with it on until the shoes heated up the lines enough to release the ice. It's been useless ever since and I'll have to take the brake discs off to readjust the shoes. I'm going to completely overhaul all the brakes this summer. New discs, pads, hand brake lines, hydraulic lines, and fluid. It can wait until then.
  • Just so you guys know, I've never known anyone that's had a transmission problem from leaving their car in park, and no-one I know uses the PARKING brake other than me. There aren't many hills here, so maybe that's part of it.
  • Yes, but your gearbox is designed to transfer those forces to the wheels. Brakes are designed to stop and halt movement, NOT gearboxes.
    As Churba explained, it's only because of the parking pawl that leaving a car in "Park" is a bad idea. On the other hand, using the engine to stop the car is actually a reasonably good idea.
  • When I took out a can of kidney beans and a can opener
    :stare: You'll be really hard pressed to find any teacher accepting their students to do something as ridiculous as opening cans during class. What is wrong with you? If you don't want to learn to drive, don't go to a driving school. If you actually want to learn how to drive, go to an actual driving school instead of a school that is aimed at teaching those who have trouble learning stick.
    real-world driving
    "How to do doughnuts in a right hand drive Jeep"
    On the other hand, using the engine to stop the car is actually a reasonably good idea.
    That's Driving 101. Engine != transmission. In the case of engine braking the transmission is still only transferring power to the wheels. You can also only get so far with engine braking and will not stop unless you go up an incline.
    There aren't many hills here, so maybe that's part of it.
    Do you live in the Netherlands? No. Fuck you, use your parking brake.
    Also there's water in the lines so if it's cold outside it'll freeze on and not release.
    FROTH! Don't you people learn ANYTHING?!

I'M RUNNING OUT OF PLACES TO IRRIGATE!
  • edited February 2010
    On the other hand, using the engine to stop the car is actually areasonably good idea.
    That's Driving 101. Engine != transmission. In the case of engine braking the transmission is still only transferring power to the wheels. You can also only get so far with engine braking and will not stop quickly unless you go up an incline.
    I didn't equate the engine to the transmission. Why do you think I used the term "on the other hand"? I was merely pointing out that brakes are not the only tool available for stopping a car.
    EDIT: Also, while it is the engine that does the work in slowing the car down, shifting to a lower gear is required for a significant effect.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on