This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Driving

Comments

• There's this job some people practice. It's called Driving Instructor. For an amount of money they teach you how to drive stick in a vehicle specifically adapted to teaching said skill.
    Now, if only I had money and an actual need to learn to drive stick. (Instead of a need to eat and pay my bills.) Yeah, then that might be a viable option.

• Now, if only I had money and an actual need to learn to drive stick. (Instead of a need to eat and pay my bills.) Yeah, then that might be a viable option.
    You expressed a desire (not a need indeed), and I told you how to scratch that itch. Just don't go jumping into someone else's car even if they offer because that would be retarded from all parties involved on multiple fronts.

Also, if you currently drive a car (stick or not) that means you have money for a few driving lessons. They're cheap as fuck compared to owning a car.
  • edited March 2012
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, Nine. Nuri can already drive a car, she doesn't need to learn how to DRIVE, as such, she just needs to learn how to operate a manual transmission. The worst that is likely to happen is that she stalls out. She's not going to destroy the clutch, she's not likely to just randomly power into something, and she's not going to be nervy and freaked out by driving, because she is already an experienced driver. It's pretty safe - hell, give me a car, a carpark and an hour, I could have her driving a manual just fine.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • hell, give me a car, a carpark and an hour, I could have her driving a manual just fine.
    Because that teaches how to react to different situations on the road while driving a stick compared to automatic and gets someone used to driving a stick in traffic. It will actually take more than just one hour and a simple fucking carpark to learn a stick and not be a complete fucking danger on the goddamned road. On that note, I find it insulting to Nuri that you think she would require a fucking hour to learn the basics of wriggling the stick on a carpark.

You can fucking teach a person how to drive a manual car in half a fucking hour on a carpark or even less when it is you. The hard part about driving, is driving in traffic. That takes a lot more time and experience, and suggesting an untrained instructor without a car suited teaching is just plain dumb and unwise. Especially seeing as how Nuri lives in the land of the clinically insane when it comes to driving.
  • I give it an hour for everyone, because I teach them what they should do in various situations. Sure, it doesn't give them road experience, but with a little instruction, and a bit of practice, it works out fine. And yeah, it might take more than an hour to learn and not be a danger on the road IF you're talking about someone who can't drive, but speaking from experience, that doesn't apply to people who are already experienced drivers.

What's with all the ire today, man? It's like you're mixing me up with the Other Scott.
  • It's my car and Nuri and Pete are not the first people I've taught to drive stick. Pete and Nuri, if you are willing to attempt this hideously dangerous thing I shall be more than happy to instruct you.
  • I give it an hour for everyone, because I teach them what they should do in various situations.
    Yeah, right. We both know what you'd like to do in that hour after spending the first five telling Nuri how to wiggle that stick.
    What's with all the ire today, man? It's like you're mixing me up with the Other Scott.
    What Other Scott? There's no Other Scott. You are the only Scott to me, Churbro. It's a good thing we're on different hemispheres, otherwise neither, or at least I, would never get anything done for certain.
  • I'm not really sure how owning a car means you have money for other things. It usually means you don't have money for other things because YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR DAMN CAR. I have a car payment, insurance payment, and periodic maintenance costs. Not to mention the $200 I just dropped to register my car in NY. I'm currently broke as fuck.

Oh yeah, I'm also living on Federal student loans.

Also, George, I'm sure you are a great teacher and all, but I would be sticking to seriously low traffic areas during a lesson.
  • edited March 2012
    Also, George, I'm sure you are a great teacher and all, but I would be sticking to seriously low traffic areas during a lesson.
    Obviously. Really the hardest part about going out on the road is downshifting. That and not stalling when you pull out from a side street.

I totally threw my cousin in the deep end and took her out on the road after about 15 minutes of instruction. :P Amazingly we didn't crash.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I can also show you guys how to do performance driving if you're interested. :P
  • It usually means you don't have money for other things because YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR DAMN CAR.
    Wrong way around. You have money, that's why you can afford a car. If you're living so tight that next to owning a car you cannot afford a driving lesson, you should seriously reconsider owning that car. So you'd better be exaggerating a whole lot.
  • If you're living so tight that next to owning a car you cannot afford a driving lesson, you should seriously reconsider owning that car.
    You need to live in America before you can say that. To not have a car is to be stationary. There's really no other way to get around.
  • I can also show you guys how to do performance driving if you're interested. :P
    One step at a time. Also, that'll make me want a WRX more. Bad George! Stop that!

• edited March 2012
    If you're living so tight that next to owning a car you cannot afford a driving lesson, you should seriously reconsider owning that car.
    You need to live in America before you can say that. To not have a car is to be stationary. There's really no other way to get around.
    This. Without a car I have one choice: Move to NYC.

Also, maybe driving lessons cost a different amount where you are, but in my experience they are a significant expense. I'm a student; most students who are not being bankrolled by their parents here have a pretty tight budget. Getting rid of my car would get rid of my car payment, sure... but it would also leave me with no way to get to a job reliably. Mass transport is not good in America.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • If you're living so tight that next to owning a car you cannot afford a driving lesson, you should seriously reconsider owning that car.
    This. Without a car I have one choice: Move to NYC.
    You could swing DC too. ~_^

• Also, maybe driving lessons cost a different amount where you are, but in my experience they are a significant expense. I'm a student; most students who are not being bankrolled by their parents here have a pretty tight budget. Getting rid of my car would get rid of my car payment, sure... but it would also leave me with no way to get to a job reliably. Mass transport is not good in America.
    That's a good point - down here, you'd be struggling to find anything cheaper than sixty an hour, in my experience.

One step at a time. Also, that'll make me want a WRX more. Bad George! Stop that!
    Your Fit would be really fun to autocross. I raced my 2 this weekend and it was a blast.
  • You could swing DC too. ~_^
    I don't want to live in hell.

• You could swing DC too. ~_^
    I don't want to live in hell.
    Oh don't be such a drama queen. It's not the 7th circle of hell...just like the 2nd or 3rd.
  • You know what's better than the 2nd or 3rd circle of Hell? Not Hell. That's a lot better. I'll take Not Hell.
  • Not Hell is so boring. >_>
    We should go back up north and drive at inadvisable speeds on treacherous mountain roads.

That will sufficiently lack "boring," I think.
  • Hm, I suppose it would help if you taught me how to drive on snow. My current tactic is much like my solo Luge strategy, basically, "lie flat and try not to die."
  • Your proposal is acceptable.
  • To be fair, if I plan to live in California, it's not something I'll have to deal with very often, but still, it's not like I don't plan on being mobile around the US, and I'd hate to be restricted to the areas of the country where it doesn't snow for those times. Also, I don't like the idea that there is a normal situation on the road that I might encounter that I can't deal with.
  • To be fair, if I plan to live in California, it's not something I'll have to deal with very often, but still, it's not like I don't plan on being mobile around the US, and I'd hate to be restricted to the areas of the country where it doesn't snow for those times. Also, I don't like the idea that there is a normal situation on the road that I might encounter that I can't deal with.
    Snow driving is as such, drive as if you have about 1/4 or less of the amount of grip you'd normally have.
    We should go back up north and drive at inadvisable speeds on treacherous mountain roads.

VETO.

• edited March 2012
    Not Hell is so boring. >_>

VETO.
    What? You can't do that! Can she do that?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited March 2012
    Yes, I said the US is the land of the clinically insane when it comes to driving, did I not?
    Also, maybe driving lessons cost a different amount where you are, but in my experience they are a significant expense.
    €50 per if you want to be ripped off and/or are paying for a few individual lessons (i.e. roughly half a tank of gas). The stupid thing is that you should have been taught when you were taught how to drive a car in the first place. But US society doesn't care, just gotta burn fast through all o' that gas, so better start when you've barely climbed out of your mama's womb. Vroom vroom vroom.
    I'm a student; most students who are not being bankrolled by their parents here have a pretty tight budget.
    Most students that are not being bankrolled by their parents, and even when they are, don't even have the budget to get a car to begin with, let alone have any budget in the case they do obtain a car.
    Getting rid of my car would get rid of my car payment, sure... but it would also leave me with no way to get to a job reliably. Mass transport is not good in America.
    You've got trains, trams and metros, busses too, and taxis overflowing in the cities themselves. It's baffling that mass transport isn't a larger thing in the US than people say it is. Seriously, population is spread all across the entire freaking country, mostly in hubs with basically a big place where people work near the center. How the hell are there not thousands of trains going in and out, to and fro?
    Hm, I suppose it would help if you taught me how to drive on snow. My current tactic is much like my solo Luge strategy, basically, "lie flat and try not to die."
    Act the same way you would on a road during lots of rain. Chill. Don't go fast, real life is not Tribs; Abscond. Don't abruptly do things. Have winter tires under your car. And/or, and this is my favourite and most relaxed suggestion, stay the fuck at home or use mass transport (trains are shit here though, the moment a single snowflake falls. Gotta send the idiots to train in Switzerland or something). It's also similar to driving in thick mist. Go slow, keep distance, don't do dumb shit.
    VETO.
    She's a woman. Of course she can do that. Worst case she'd have to offer sex as alternative in return or something non-boring like that.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited March 2012
    Not Hell is so boring. >_>

VETO.
    We'll just go some time when she's not with us.

EDIT: But if it threatens my ability to get laid, the answer is "yes dear."
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on