This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Driving

Comments

• I wasn't a student when I got my car. I had a job.

I also wasn't taught to drive in a school. My Driver's Ed class left me with a phobia of driving, and I didn't get past it to learn to drive until I was 21. My boyfriend at the time taught me. In the US you only have to pass a driving school if you are under 18.

As far as trains, trams and metros, busses too, and taxis overflowing in the cities themselves... yeah, not so much. This is only in a few cities in the whole country. Even when I was living in Charlotte, the mass transport was terrible; unless you were traveling radially from the City center, you were screwed. Taxis are way more expensive then driving yourself.
  • We'll just go some time when she's not with us.

EDIT: But if it threatens my ability to get laid, the answer is "yes dear."
    It's a risk we can't afford. What if you crash your car and end up in a full body cast? I am so not sponge bathing you because you were too stupid not to do something ridiculous with your car. Also, I need you alive for making babies.
  • edited March 2012
    Yes dear.

EDIT: I could hypothetically create a sperm bank, on the off chance something bad happens to me. You'd tend my sperm bank, right?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • RymRym
    edited March 2012
    It's a varied car culture. I grew up in Michigan, near and in Detroit, so I'd been driving regularly since I was 14 (learner's permit). Full licence a few days after I turned 16. I drove almost every day of my life for a decade and a half. Put 120k miles on the Sunfire alone. Driving is like walking to me, even now after several years of not even owning a car.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Can I take him autocrossing instead?
  • Yes dear.

EDIT: I could hypothetically create a sperm bank, on the off chance something bad happens to me. You'd tend my sperm bank, right?
    Maybe if you left me a shitload of money and a suitable replacement partner.

George, I have no problem with autocross on an actual autocross course.

• don't do dumb shit.
    That's the hardest part.

• YAY! Pete, we're gonna go racing!
  • edited March 2012
    In the US you only have to pass a driving school if you are under 18.
    Wow, it suddenly all makes sense why the horror stories are the way the are. And I find people here to be atrocious drivers already.
    As far as trains, trams and metros, busses too, and taxis overflowing in the cities themselves... yeah, not so much. This is only in a few cities in the whole country. Even when I was living in Charlotte, the mass transport was terrible; unless you were traveling radially from the City center, you were screwed. Taxis are way more expensive then driving yourself.
    Step off at the closest stop and walk? Or bring a bicycle, fold-up one for more ease, and go crazy. If the place is large enough to have several stations/stops, you just get off at the closest one and walk a few feet, if it's not that large, you can walk with trivial ease. This unless abhorent does not even begin to describe the pain it would cause to take a single step in that place, at which point the question is, why the fuck go there to begin with you suicidal maniac. And of course taxis are retardedly expensive, but they're freaking iconic just as double-decker busses are for London, and a form of mass transport.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited March 2012
    I find stories about Florida, New York, Egypt, and Mexico driving somewhat more frightening than most stories I hear locally. The biggest problem locally is that people take at least one day to adjust to snow every year. The first big snow, everyone drives like they've never seen snow or ice before. It's really sad actually.

As far as snow/ice driving goes, all I've ever really done is slowed down a bit, paid close attention to the wheels and the overall feel of the car, and given everyone else a little more room. Also, if shit is really bad, don't drive.

Random question, is it possible that the "smooth ride" of more modern suspension systems prevents people from having as much feedback on how the brakes feel? I was just thinking that it always seems like people in SUVs or big-ass trucks are the ones screwing up my day on the first snow, but I'm not totally sure why. Anecdotal, I assume they feel way safer than they are, but I would think a person would realize that a lower friction coefficient is a lower friction coefficient.

Stuff was worse when I lived closer to St. Louis. Around here, it's pretty mellow most of the time.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I can't afford to live where all the things are, I have to live where the trees are and drive to the things.
  • edited March 2012
    I don't think you understand the infrastructure setup here. When I went to NY City, where you can go virtually anywhere in the city with EFFICIENT public transportation, I was literally speechless. Nothing even remotely close to that exists except in a select few cities.

It's not a matter of stepping off at the closest stop. It's not the distance from the bus to the bus stop that is the problem. It's the amount of time and distance you have to travel while on the bus that is the problem. The routes just don't run in any kind of decent coverage.

In order to go 5 miles to my job in Charlotte, I would have to take a bus from my house to the city center, get on a different bus, and take the bus back out to where I work. This bus trip would take approximately 1.5 hours. To go 5 miles. Because there was no bus that went anywhere other than radially from the center of the city. And that's in Charlotte, where there is actually a widespread bus system. In many places, you're lucky if you have a bus system at all. The town where I grew up is an example; no taxis, no bus, no trains. Everyone had a car or got rides from friends.

Bicycles are great in good weather, but do not work well for longer commutes or inclement weather.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited March 2012
    Random question, is it possible that the "smooth ride" of more modern suspension systems prevents people from having as much feedback on how the brakes feel? I was just thinking that it always seems like people in SUVs or big-ass trucks are the ones screwing up my day on the first snow, but I'm not totally sure why. Anecdotal, I assume they feel way safer than they are, but I would think a person would realize that a lower friction coefficient is a lower friction coefficient.
    They're driving a vehicle that takes an age to come to a halt under favourable conditions as if they're driving under those conditions when conditions are such that normal cars take an age to come to a halt, resulting in them taking two ages to come to a halt from their ridiculous speed. It wouldn't surprise me that it takes something like 5 miles for your regular SUV/truck driver to get to a halt during snowy weather in the US. I mean, light speed's the only speed limit they can't break, but that doesn't stop them from trying.
    Bicycles are great in good weather, but do not work well for longer commutes or inclement weather.
    I agree with this, with inclement weather meaning heavy snow and frozen paths because they're very likely to not be salted. But you only had to go 5 miles, so most of that doesn't apply.

The bus talk just makes me wonder who the fuck was responsible for planning all that, and whether he got fired or not. Planning out some mass transport is awesome, but if that's the result, god damn what a fucking waste of money. How hard can it be to have a single fucking but just drive in circles, slightly out from the center, connecting the various radial paths of other busses. Freaking morons. I would suggest you move some place saner, like you mentioned NYC to be saner. You'll still be near the clinically insane, but will have choice.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I would think a person would realize that a lower friction coefficient is a lower friction coefficient.
    NOPE.

Thing is, a lot of people who buy SUVs do it because they can't drive effectively and want to feel like they are safer in their vehicles. The problem is now they are more dangerous to others because they both can't drive AND have a bigger danger machine.

The other people who buy SUVs are parents who want to haul kids around without driving an "uncool" minivan and people who actually use SUVs for their intended purposes.

• In order to go 5 miles to my job in Charlotte, I would have to take a bus from my house to the city center, get on a different bus, and take the bus back out to where I work. This bus trip would take approximately 1.5 hours. To go 5 miles. Because there was no bus that went anywhere other than radially from the center of the city. And that's in Charlotte, where there is actually a widespread bus system.
    Try to get from Queens to Brooklyn on the subway sometime. ~_^
  • In order to go 5 miles to my job in Charlotte, I would have to take a bus from my house to the city center, get on a different bus, and take the bus back out to where I work. This bus trip would take approximately 1.5 hours. To go 5 miles. Because there was no bus that went anywhere other than radially from the center of the city. And that's in Charlotte, where there is actually a widespread bus system.
    Have done. Only took me 30 minutes.

LIES!!!
    LIES!!!
    That's the only major hole in the system. But, the G is actually very reliable now, and the busses are actually reasonable.

Nuri is right though, that New York is literally one of the only places in the US where you can actually live without a car and not suffer severe consequences for the lack thereof. Even a few miles outside of the five boroughs and you're fucked without one.

LIES!!!
    Okay, to be fair... 30 minutes on the subway and a 10 minute walk from the station where I got off the train.

• The thing is, it is very possible to live in NYC and still need a car. In many parts of Brooklyn and Queens there is not a subway stop within walking distance of your house. Where my grandmother used to live in Flushing the nearest subway stop was two miles away. You could walk to the express bus to get to Manhattan if you really wanted to. Either way, you could not walk to the grocery store. Everyone there had cars and drove to get places just like in the 'burbs. Also, many of the people there did not commute to Manhattan to work like we do. Many of them lived and worked in that area, and rarely went to Manhattan.
  • The thing is, it is very possible to live in NYC and still need a car. In many parts of Brooklyn and Queens there is not a subway stop within walking distance of your house.
    Everything is within walking distance, if you have the time.
  • The thing is, it is very possible to live in NYC and still need a car. In many parts of Brooklyn and Queens there is not a subway stop within walking distance of your house.
    And physical ability. Not all of use are paragons of human perfection.

And physical ability. Not all of use are paragons of human perfection.
    I suppose not being able to walk would probably impede your progress, but otherwise, the point stands. If you can walk at all, everything is within walking distance if you have the time.

The moon. The bottom of the sea. Antarctica.
  • edited March 2012
    The thing is, it is very possible to live in NYC and still need a car. In many parts of Brooklyn and Queens there is not a subway stop within walking distance of your house.
    The moon. The bottom of the sea. Antarctica.
    Yep. All of them. You need the appropriate equipment, but you could still walk there if you had both the equipment and time. Which goes without saying, really, I mean, you wouldn't go and walk into -40 C without wrapping up in some warm clothes first, would you?

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2012
    The bus talk just makes me wonder who the fuck was responsible for planning all that, and whether he got fired or not. Planning out some mass transport is awesome, but if that's the result, god damn what a fucking waste of money. How hard can it be to have a single fucking but just drive in circles, slightly out from the center, connecting the various radial paths of other busses. Freaking morons. I would suggest you move some place saner, like you mentioned NYC to be saner. You'll still be near the clinically insane, but will have choice.
    Part of it is the history of the US industry. Car manufacturing used to be huge, and gas was cheap and plentiful. So, there was never an impetus for any major city to focus on a public transportation infrastructure. Cities weren't planned around it. Now, we have all this infrastructure that was designed for cars, and shitty mass transit systems bolted onto that.

The public doesn't want to fund anything because NOPE NOT MY PROBLEM. And nobody wants to give up cars because our settlements require them to get around.

Yes, it's stupid.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I love my scooter, its zippy, light on gas, and fun on a bun to ride.

The Ford ranger I drive at work is great too, and I can hang it out in the left lane with it when driving to the hub. Though there's always someone on my ass, even if I'm doing 80.

and please don't get me started on car maintenance, that's more typing than I want to think about.
  • I love my scooter, its zippy, light on gas, and fun on a bun to ride.

The Ford ranger I drive at work is great too, and I can hang it out in the left lane with it when driving to the hub. Though there's always someone on my ass, even if I'm doing 80.

and please don't get me started on car maintenance, that's more typing than I want to think about.
    Scooters are fun. I wouldn't ride one all the time, if I'm going to ride something on two wheels, it's going to be a motorbike.

Car maintenance, you basically have a choice between expensive, shitty or do it yourself.
  • edited September 2012
    Johnny Law finally caught up with me, lads. Now I gotta decide whether I want to just eat the speeding ticket, or go through the hassle of selecting an alternative site and going to driving school to avoid a conviction. I don't even know what a conviction means in terms of a driving offense. Misdemeanor? Code violation? Can I be denied a job because of this bollocks?

Gonna have to take that fucking written exam when I renew my license next month, too. Goddamn it. The adrenaline wasn't worth it.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Well, what's the offense exactly?