This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

Comments

• Maybe, in a very small way. The best part of the handheld device is having it fit in a pocket. So you can carry it around conveniently.

Kids, agree?

Why remove the hinge? Why abandon the 3D, what's the point of a 3DS game if it's not 3D. I thought that was the whole USP.
  • The whole 3D not the best for little kids developing eyes I assume.
  • If it was XL I might consider it since I mostly just want to play 3DS games regardless of 3D but I'd rather just pick up a 3DSXL on sale. I still kind of want a 2DS but I wouldn't be willing to spend much money on it.
  • Yawn. Seriously guys, it's for little kids. It's for their parents who are broke and scared by the Age 7+ label on the 3DS.
  • Why remove the hinge?
    Because it is the thing that breaks the most often on the DS. Especially when that DS belongs to a kid who is rough with it or leaves it open in bad places. This version is probably more durable.

• edited August 2013
    There is a market for the 2DS, and it's hip parents with young kids. Seriously, it's cheaper, doesn't have the head/eye-hurting 3D, there's no moving parts, and it plays both old and new DS/3DS games. It's definitely not something that older gamers (where older pretty much means 12+ years old) care about, so now it's a question of whether or not Nintendo actually focuses on that market.

All signs so far indicate that Nintendo will just market this as a cheaper 3DS, which is absolutely not the right way to go,
    Well, yeah, of course. But when did that stop the internet from getting 100% the wrong idea about something and then acting based on essentially what they've made up in their own heads - IE, all the people who thought the OYUA was going to be revolutionary, based on nothing.

The product itself is a good idea. But I certainly agree, the marketing path they're looking down, doesn't look to be the best, and I hope they correct their course to something more sensible before they get too far along to correct it. But hey, it might turn out, I don't know, they might get lucky.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2013
    Why remove the hinge?
    Because it is the thing that breaks the most often on the DS. Especially when that DS belongs to a kid who is rough with it or leaves it open in bad places. This version is probably more durable.

Then it's up to Nintendo to not design shitty hinges. The 2DS is probably more prone to having screen damage now that it can't close.

Kids are generally irresponsible, so it's not an excuse for anything.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • edited August 2013
    1. For broke parents? It's still fairly expensive at $129. People will definitely buy one if they want a 3DS without the 3D, especially at a lower price point.

2. There is only one speaker on that thing...

4. Kids will fuck anything up, hinge or not. Fuck kids. Fuck 'em.

8. This thing looks a bit unweildy, but I concede that point since it's probably a similar size to a completely open 3DS and the WiiU gamepad surprised me actually.

16. Goddamn it Nintendo why are you wasting your time on this? Yeah I get it you make several version of a Gameboy but WTF.

Honestly I'm only annoyed at my last point because I don't really have a problem with the system overall. I would probably get one over a regular 3DS if I didn't have the XL option. I actually do use the 3D on every game but I could just as easily go without it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I bought a used 3DS for $79.99, nope won't do well.
  • It looks like the chunky, blocky game systems designed for kids. The screen is probably a lot harder to fuck up than you think. It's not aimed at us.

I don't get why you guys think that Nintendo would be putting out some new super better thing for adults if they hadn't developed this system. It probably didn't take very much to whip up. It's not like the whole company dropped other projects and worked on this. They're still doing other things.

Put on your big girl panties and deal with the fact that not everything revolves around you. :P
  • What sucks is that apparently its actually just one big touchscreen with a plastic overlay making it look like 2. It could have been a cool DS tablet but they didn't go that route :/
  • edited August 2013
    I dunno, it could be more little kid centric and still be able to handle 3ds games, and that's great if it is. But if you don't trust a kid with something that costs $40 extra then maybe you shouldn't be trusting them with any expensive tech. I like the idea of it being cheaper but why not just make a super durable clamshell version that would be more appealing to both age groups. But again, like the article says, it seems strange that they're developing another version of the 3DS with it being the #1 system on the market currently.
    Post edited by MATATAT on

This is what a robust tablet for kids looks like. 2DS does not qualify as robust.
  • What sucks is that apparently its actually just one big touchscreen with a plastic overlay making it look like 2. It could have been a cool DS tablet but they didn't go that route :/
    What sucks about it all being one screen? I bet that's a massive cost saving measure.
    What sucks about it all being one screen? I bet that's a massive cost saving measure.
    It sucks that you can't actually use the entire screen.
  • edited August 2013
    This is what a robust tablet for kids looks like. 2DS does not qualify as robust.
    I think it's a bit premature to be saying that, considering that I'm pretty sure that nobody on this forum - or even the vast, vast majority of people on the internet at large - have even seen one in person, let alone had a hands-on.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It should come with a case like those Wiimote condoms if that's the market they're aiming for..
  • Trust me, it's not. Robust is, it can survive more than several drops. Nothing does that well, unless it's rubberised or able to flex.

It's definitely not going to fall apart in your hands, but I'm confident that it won't survive more than 2 drops without significant damage. Unless there's something that I'm definitely missing about it's design, that makes it competently robust.
    It sucks that you can't actually use the entire screen.
    It sucks that I can't? It sucks that you can't? It sucks that one can't? It sucks that those who buy it can't? It sucks that those who develop for it can't?

I'm not sure who has ever wanted to use the space between the two screens of a DS or 3DS and is now furious that that ability is still no longer available.
  • edited August 2013
    Trust me, it's not. Robust is, it can survive more than several drops. Nothing does that well, unless it's rubberised or able to flex.

It's definitely not going to fall apart in your hands, but I'm confident that it won't survive more than 2 drops without significant damage. Unless there's something that I'm definitely missing about it's design, that makes it competently robust.
    I'm simply saying we can't make that judgement with the information we have right now. It might be fragile, or it might be a fucking tank like my non-rubberised, non-flexible DS that's lasted since the year they launched, and been lugged all around the world with me. Or any number of non-rubberised, non-flexible Nokia phones, whose near-invincibility is legendary.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • V-Tech? Oh come on. This thread jumped the fucking shark as soon as that company got brought into it. I'm assuming you've never actually seen how horrible every one of their childrens products is.
  • I think all you punk kids worrying about scratching the screen don't remember the days before the Gameboy SP. Nintendo's hardware historically has been only one step short of Nokium - the only way a kid's going to break his 2DS is by dropping it under a car or out of an upper window.
  • @Churba I assume you're talking about the old Nokias? The ones if you dropped, only the case would break, and you could replace the case for pennies. Same thing as rubber (something to absorb the impact).

I have the original DS to, it's stronger than the DS lite because the housing is bigger and dissipates more knocks, but it's still not as robust as the vtech.

@Matt I mention the Vtech not because it's good hardware or design. I'm giving contrast to what a robust kids electronic play thing looks like. You can clearly see with your eyes, that proportionally there's more casing than there is hardware. That's redundancy to protect the hardware. That product is very clear that it's for kids, because it's built to take abuse.

The 2DS on the over hand isn't marketed in that way at all. The design doesn't suggest that it's designed to be robust in anyway. So I can safely assume it would perform just as well as any modern device under abuse. Which typically isn't good. It's only good if it falls a certain way, or certain heights or that you just look after it.

This is what actual robust design looks like

Toshiba Toughbook
  • If you're saying that the 2DS isn't going to be sturdy enough to handle any level of kid playing with it and multiple drops, I don't think you understand Nintendo's hardware design very well.
  • edited August 2013
    There's been DSs that have broken in one drop from the hands. If that's possible, it's not robust.

DS hinge's have fallen apart after a year of opening and closing.

Sticky buttons. Touch screens that fail to calibrate.
  • There's been DSs that have broken in one drop from the hands. If that's possible, it's not robust.

DS hinge's have fallen apart after a year of opening and closing.

Sticky buttons. Touch screens that fail to calibrate.
    Have you considered that maybe this is precisely why they have developed a new system design for the 2DS?

Also, your analysis of the robustness of modern technology is flawed. Modern tech is pretty durable. You're always going to have some pieces break due to rough handling and manufacturing defects, but you have to look at the field of users as a whole. Modern touchscreen phones, for example, are pretty badass when it comes to durability.

• edited August 2013
    I think that these design changes don't solve those problems, even if that was their intent.

For smart phones that have gorilla glass and equivalent technology, they're pretty robust. Nintendo does not have these exotic materials for their screens.

The only reason that these changes exist is that they're cheaper to make. No other reason.
  • Main reason for glass cracking is that it's so close to the corners when someone drops it on the floor. The DSs don't have this problem.