This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• Can't say for sure I don't read allot of comics, but I'm not that apposed to even big changes to those sorts of things as long as it yields something good to watch.

Was glad to see Static Shock, and sporting a similar look to the one he had in his show. Now I get to see him in some way meet the Titans like they teased.
  • I have not paid much attention to Young Justice, do they screw around with the characters ages versus the comics like Teen Titans did and/or use younger versions of the characters, also something Teen Titans did?
    Well it is it's own continuity and canon, separated from DCs comic universe(s), so probably.

• I was just curious mostly. I am not opposed to it, it worked well for Teen Titans. Also it was amusing to see people who went from that to the Teen Titans comics be a bit confused about the fact that all of the characters were adults and some of the members of the TV shows group were not a part of the comic's group. I will have to check Young Justice out sometime.
  • edited January 2013
    I have not paid much attention to Young Justice, do they screw around with the characters ages versus the comics like Teen Titans did and/or use younger versions of the characters, also something Teen Titans did?
    Young Justice make the Titans resemble their actual age, also there is a "time skip" which we do not see but explains the existence of Nightwing, Red Robin, and from the looks of it Red Hood (which we haven't seen just yet but I really hope we do in the future).
    In all, it is a great show and we get some glimpses of the Justice League, and how their younger pupils could very well be greater than them someday.

Edit: Also, I do not recall them being call The Titans at all during all its seasons.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited January 2013
    Edit: Also, I do not recall them being call The Titans at all during all its seasons.
    Pretty sure that was comics only, from a few years ago, right up until new 52.

Young Justice isn't really Teen Titans, and it isn't really NOT Teen Titans. It's the Teen Titans concept, but with Young Justice characters, and not really based on the continuity of either, wholly, at least.

It's not a bad show, all in all.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Ok, I'm like six episodes in and Freaks and Geeks has charmed me.
  • edited January 2013

Parse them without googling?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Wow, that's a really solid commercial.
  • Wow, that's a really solid commercial.
    I recognize eight of them.
  • I just watched the 2 aired chapters of King of the Nerds. I watched them thinking it was a comedy and thought it was pretty genius, but then I read it's actually a reality show... not like pretending it's a reality, but a real reality. That left me completely confused. I didn't thought for a second that it was even suppossed to seem beliveable, but it turns out it's an actual competition and none of them are actors, and even knowing that I still can't believe it. It's just me or it's totally obvious that it's at least partially fake, if not totally?
  • A great number of "reality" shows have a partial fake component. Some of them, such as Who Wants to Be A Superhero, are actually kind of awesome and charming because of it. King of the Nerds seems anything but charming.
  • edited January 2013
    A friend's father worked on a few reality shows as an art director. Most of them aren't scripted, but if you get enough weird/crazy people together and heavily influence both the people and their environment shit just sort of naturally happens. The producers shake the beehive a lot in those shows to produce a desired effect.

Granted I've never seen this geek show nor do I care to.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited January 2013

The premise seems kind of stupid, but I gotta love that geekhaus.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I enjoy Ink Master, but that's because it's about pure skill and there's very minimal bullshit since most of the show is the contestants interacting with their clients. Plus you get to see a lot of dope tattoos.
  • edited January 2013
    I enjoy Ink Master, but that's because it's about pure skill and there's very minimal bullshit since most of the show is the contestants interacting with their clients. Plus you get to see a lot of dope tattoos.
    And the contestants are real, serious business tattoo artists and many of them are known, many award winners. The kinda people who wouldn't do anything with a bullshit reality show, because they know if they're not on the top of their game, it would fuck their reputations.
    Post edited by Churba on

• The premise seems kind of stupid, but I gotta love that geekhaus.
    Wonder what that house will go for after the show is cancelled.....:-p
  • I just find Curtis Armstrong's voice to be hilarious

• It seems Top Gear is back again, and it turns out there was a special titled "50 Years of Bond Cars".
  • edited January 2013
    Are you watching the original Freaks and Geeks or the redubbed version where all the music is changed?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Are you watching the original Freaks and Geeks or the redubbed version where all the music is changed?
    Whatever is on Netflix? I highly doubt different music would really alter my enjoyment of the show. I have zero nostalgia for 80's pop hits.
  • edited January 2013
    Parenthood is really good. So many feels produced.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Of all things, Park Lewis Can't Lose.

No, I'm not sure why either.
  • Oh, it's because it's hilarious. That's why.
  • As someone married to a reality television producer, I can tell you those shows are incredibly far from real. The core premis is always based in truth. It's not like they're picking up people off of the street and saying oh go pretend you are a chef/dancer/artist/whatever, but the scenarios they are placed in are 100% staged.

The worst offender is any show that portrays someone in their profession but then also follows them back into their home life. Fake customers get sent in. The family is herded from one staged activity to the next. People wind up having to dress up in the same outfit three days in a row to re-shoot scenes and pick up dialog. It's pretty much garbage.

The only type of reality TV I can stand is strictly documentary-quality stuff, or interesting competitions. The latter taps into the Double Dare center of my brain. I decided to watch King of the Nerds and it's not a great show but I've gotten some joy out of it and don't hate it. The people are definitely stereotypes but they are realistic stereotypes, not caricatures. The show is doing a good job of embracing the nerdiness rather than laughing at it. The competitions have been a bit sub-par but I have a feeling they will get good, so I'll stick around and see.
  • You should tell us more about your wife's job.
  • edited February 2013
    That's pretty much all there is to say. Most of the individual stories she tells me would bore you to death, because the shows they are about would bore you to death. It's only interesting to me in the meta sense of getting to hear how the sausage is made.

There was this one time she came home with stories about how Bill Nye had a Christian Bale "who writes this shit" moment on a set.

I will clarify that I'm not sure if you are seriously asking this question, or if I've mentioned her job to the point the point that you're doing your best Wonka impersonation. I lose track of what I talk about to who over time.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I feel like the competition shows (Apprentice, for example) can't be entirely staged - there are lots of laws governing interference from producers in game shows, right?
  • edited February 2013
    I will clarify that I'm not sure if you are seriously asking this question, or if I've mentioned her job to the point the point that you're doing your best Wonka impersonation. I lose track of what I talk about to who over time.
    I had the same thought, but this is the first I've heard of your wife's career honestly.

Also, I have a bit of a personal dream to get on a reality television show and completely ruin it from the inside...
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Does she do the Real Housewives shows? Because I'm sure my girlfriend would be giddy with excitement over that.
  • Started watching Breaking Bad. Heard good things about it, but never got around to watching it before. It's as good as I heard though. Also, if a chemist tells you to do something, you better do it exactly as he tells you to, but I guess that is something lost on crackheads.