This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Car Enthusiast Thread.

Comments

• Soft, don't want the weight of the hard top and the power mechanism.
  • Soft, don't want the weight of the hard top and the power mechanism.
    I figured. I am 50/50 on the subject. I'd have to try them both, as I don't intend to race or anything, and I'd have to see how the wind noise at speed compared.
  • I've heard the hard top can be very tinny sounding in the rain and echoy when it's up.
  • The only thing I don't like about the soft tops is leaks and the fact that your rear window is made out of plastic that gets weather beaten really fast.
  • The only thing I don't like about the soft tops is leaks and the fact that your rear window is made out of plastic that gets weather beaten really fast.
    That and any random jackass on the street can ruin your day pretty badly while you're away.
  • Those are not road legal in the US
    WHO THE FUCK CARES, IT LOOKS AMAZING. And driving it on a track is joy enough.
  • Fuck you, George. I'm filled with the burning desire to buy a Miata again. I'd just about gotten over it a few years ago, and now it wouldn't just be a luxury, but a silly luxury, what with the costs of parking and the lack of any real need for it.

But I was reading reviews of the soft top versus the hard top, and people basically nutting themselves over the six-shifter and its velvety smoothness.

I swear to all the gods, if I end up buying a Miata this year, it's your fault.
  • edited July 2010
    But is that really a fault? I mean, the Miata is such a neat lil car. And it has pop-up headlamps, which I go nuts over.

EDIT: ...The new Miata doesn't have pop-up headlamps....*sadness*
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • The new Miata doesn't have pop-up headlamps....*sadness*
    If you can find an old '92 Laser, it has wonderful pop headlights, AWD, and a turbo to boot. I miss that car dearly.
  • edited July 2010
    The new Miata doesn't have pop-up headlamps....*sadness*
    If you can find an old '92 Laser, it has wonderful pop headlights, AWD, and a turbo to boot. I miss that car dearly.
    I'm not too crazy about AWD (I've been hoping to move to RWD), but the specs are nice and it looks like a Z31 300zx, so I'll look around. Thanks for the tip.
  • the specs are nice and it looks like an z31 300zx, so I'm look around. Thanks for the tip.
    AWD was an option, so you could probably find one without. They're an old line, and sometimes parts were hard to find, but they were durable as hell, and had tight little suspensions stock. I still see them driving around on a semi-regular basis.

They're also relatively unknown. Whip one of those out at a friendly open track day, and you'll be the sleeper hit. They're not the fastest cars in the world, but they'll surprise you.
  • edited July 2010
    They're not the fastest cars in the world, but they'll surprise you.
    Sound's like an 86. Hehe.
    Actually, my family is getting ready to buy a couple new cars. My parents Dodge caravan was totaled earlier this year and my civic is having some issues. My dad wants a large family sedan, but I was thinking something smaller for my sister and I; Maybe a VW Golf, or something small, sporty, and Japanese. If we could get a Fiat 500, though, I would.

Maybe a Suzuki Swift?
    EDIT: Oh WHAT THE HELL? The Suzuki Swift isn't available in the US?!
  • edited July 2010
    I swear to all the gods, if I end up buying a Miata this year, it's your fault.
    Ahhhhhh exxxxcellent. *evil grin*

I'm gonna get a blue one, you have to get a different color.

EDIT: And be honest Rym, no one needs a miata. I just need a reliable japanese car to balance my ridiculous swedish turbo monster. I could buy a Yaris for half the price and accomplish this, but as a car geek I'm going to spend twice as much to have a fucking awesome car.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I'm gonna get a blue one, you have to get a different color.
    Red is the obvious choice.
  • edited July 2010
    Sound's like an 86. Hehe.
    Actually, my family is getting ready to buy a couple new cars. My parents Dodge caravan was totaled earlier this year and my civic is having some issues. My dad wants a large family sedan, but I was thinking something smaller for my sister and I; Maybe a VW Golf, or something small, sporty, and Japanese. If we could get a Fiat 500, though, I would.
    Considering what you've said, have you considered an old MR2? They're absolutely lovely, in my opinion, they look reasonably bad-ass, have the pop-up lamps, make a decent turn of speed, well balanced, good handling, very responsive and visceral to drive.
    Maybe a Suzuki Swift?
    And I might kill you in your sleep.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Considering what you've said, have you considered an old MR2? They're absolutely lovely, in my opinion, they look reasonably bad-ass, have the pop-up lamps, make a decent turn of speed, well balanced, good handling, very responsive and visceral to drive.
    Are you talking about regular MR2 or MR2 Spyder? There was a dude at RIT who had a white pre-Spyder MR2. It was fuckin' awesome.
  • Sound's like an 86. Hehe.
    Considering what you've said, have you considered an old MR2? They're absolutely lovely, in my opinion, they look reasonably bad-ass, have the pop-up lamps, make a decent turn of speed, well balanced, good handling, very responsive and visceral to drive.
    Hmm... I've never driven an MR layout car before, and I have to wonder how it would affect storage ability. See, it has to be practical as well.
  • Are you talking about regular MR2 or MR2 Spyder? There was a dude at RIT who had a white pre-Spyder MR2. It was fuckin' awesome.
    The curvy one or the boxy ones? The curvy ones had rather notorious handling. They went from oversteer to oh-fuck-I've-just-spun-into-a-tree.
  • Are you talking about regular MR2 or MR2 Spyder? There was a dude at RIT who had a white pre-Spyder MR2. It was fuckin' awesome.
    The curvy one or the boxy ones? The curvy ones had rather notorious handling. They went from oversteer to oh-fuck-I've-just-spun-into-a-tree.
    ^_^ My kind of car. -_- Though not the kind I would ever, EVER, want my sister to drive.
  • edited July 2010
    Are you talking about regular MR2 or MR2 Spyder? There was a dude at RIT who had a white pre-Spyder MR2. It was fuckin' awesome.
    Nope, no Spyder(In name, anyway, but they could be considered a Spyder in capability), I'm talking pre-2000 here, any of the 90s models, the Mark II or any of the revisions of the Mark II. Goddamn, they were awesome. If I ever get to be idly rich, then you can bet I'm going to put one of these in my collection.
    The Curvy, Mark II models - but the problem was half with the drivers on those. They're rear-drive mid engine cars, and they were brilliant at accelerating out of a corner. You accelerate to hard, then lift off the throttle, shifts the weight forward, the rear suspension goes "fuck this, I'm a toe-out", and you've just perfectly set yourself up for a no-power oversteer, or even just a straight up spin. It was a snap oversteer problem that was half the unforgiving suspension geometry, and half the driving journalists unfamiliar with mid engine and rear engine sports cars and super-cars - most of which you can reproduce this in.
    However, in the second revision - the 92 model, I think - they changed up the suspension geometry, and made it a lot more forgiving on that front, so less prone to snap-oversteer you to death if you do it wrong.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The curvy one or the boxy ones? The curvy ones had rather notorious handling. They went from oversteer to oh-fuck-I've-just-spun-into-a-tree.
    I forget.
  • I forget.
    That's alright, I didn't.
  • I like the red Miata anyway, so no worries there.
  • I like the red Miata anyway, so no worries there.
    The copper red or the bright red?
  • The copper red or the bright red?
    I need to see them both in person. Copper red sounds cool, but it's probably the same bland Mazda copper red I see everywhere.

Frankly, I wish I had more options. My Laser was bright teal, and my Sunfire was purple. I kind of want a dark green or violet Miata, but I'm extremely leery of aftermarket paint jobs.
  • but I'm extremely leery of aftermarket paint jobs.
    as you should be.
  • Clearly, the bright red. It's faster.
  • Clearly, the bright red. It's faster.
    That's the way the cops see it, don't they Pete. ~_^
  • Frankly, I wish I had more options. My Laser was bright teal, and my Sunfire was purple. I kind of want a dark green or violet Miata, but I'm extremely leery of aftermarket paint jobs.
    Now this is sensible - there are a shitload of dodgy paint shops. Christ, I used to work in a dodgey paint shop, essentially, when I was a mechanic, part of my job was knocking out dents and spraying cars (as really, there were already two apprentices there who were pretty decent, as long as I kept my eyes on them, I could get away with doing different shit) and a lot of those places are unqualified jackasses(like me) shot-coating your car with no regard to paint thickness, coverage pattern, wrinkling, any of that shit(not like me, my work was quality, because I put in the practice, and wasn't a ripoff merchant).

I'll be painting my own car, when I'm in the states and pick up the XB - simply because it's cheaper to buy a compressor and bring over my painting gear than it is to get the car painted, and for what I'm doing, I know I can do a damn good job. Rust-proof, primer, few coats of colour, and a few rounds of clear-coat, fuckin' done.
  • My day-driver is a Suzuki SX4 Sport hatch. A nice little four banger with great pickup and handling, it's a great roadtrip car. I've hit ninety it it.

For several weeks, I was driving another family member's car as a result of a car accident. The car was a BMW, 350bhp RWD. Amazing machine; 0-60 in less than five and can reach 80mph in third gear. Moves so fast you won't know you're edging 100 until you clip past a parked cop car and feel your adrenaline dump.

A couple times I had the good fortune to drive a Maserati Coupe, the last of that model made with Ferrari teNs and engine. 600bhp. You didn't need to touch the gas shifting into first; merely dropping it into that gear would send the car toward 20mph. A terrifying beast; I didn't push it much past 60mph...in second gear.

So yeah, I know my way around speed.