This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Car Enthusiast Thread.

Comments

• I think I will be purchasing a used car soon. Are their any makes/models I should be leary off once they pass the ten year mark? Looking more towards European brands.
  • HMTKSteve said:

I think I will be purchasing a used car soon. Are their any makes/models I should be leary off once they pass the ten year mark? Looking more towards European brands.

Nah, once you start getting to that age, all the real shit cars have usually started to show it pretty clearly. Look on a car-by-car basis, because a well-maintained car from the 70s will never let you down, but a poorly maintained modern car will die on you every time.

What are your needs for your car, anyway? What's are the boxes you're looking to tick? I'm figuring at the least, no two-seaters.
  • For 10+ years, avoid european cars that aren't VW. VWs aren't any more reliable, but the parts are cheaper than BMWs. :P
  • Time to replace my 98 Neon commuter car. Emissions will not pass and I don't want to sink any more cash into this rust bucket.

I would prefer 30+ mpg but 25 is my minimum. Power steering. That is pretty much it. I don't need anything fancy. I work an offset shift so I don't travel during the heavy traffic periods. I have owned Subaru's but the resale on them is high where I live.

I have been looking at VW, Volvo, Mercedes and BMW. I have been told that some of these are designed to piss off a home mechanic, so if I can do maintenance on it all the better.
  • edited November 2014
    Oh those, I would avoid the Mercs and the BMWs. A Saab could probably be had really cheap, but you need to be a very proficient mechanic for that gamble.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Apart from my Olds, I've only owned Japanese cars. Parts for japanese cars are cheap if you need em. If you're looking at those four only, VWs are pretty reliable from what I hear.
  • Hondas and Toyotas get snapped up quick where I live due to a large south american immigrant population. As such they either sell for more than they are worth or are in worse shape then the car I am replacing.
  • Took advantage of the nice weather to change the coolant in the chevy. Fresh green antifreeze and distilled water.
  • Tested the thermostat I removed yesterday and it's so far gone it would crack open under my hot water tap. No wonder it was taking forever to get heat when it was in the 20s.
  • Local KIA dealership is willing to give me $4500 trade in for my rusty 98 Neon so... Going to go look at the kia Soul tomorrow.

Need a daily driver with cargo space. Any comments/warnings would be appreciated.
  • No problems. It seems like overall a good car.
  • Boring, but they work as well as anything else. More reliable than an euro car, maybe not quite on the level of Japanese cars, but at least as good as modern American cars.
  • Is there a huge difference between the 2014 and 2015 models? They have one 2014 Soul in the ! Package but the 2015 models are either base or + styles.
  • I'm not up on the model year changes for KIAs, but if the interiors look the same (or at least really similar) then the cars are probably mechanically identical. You can probably get a really good deal on a 2014 at this point too, I'd go for that probably.
  • Stopped by the dealership. Will own a 2014 Soul (exclaim package). Red with black interior. No need to haggle over price because by giving me $4500 for my junker they gave me $4500 off sticker price.
  • My car is now synced to my phone. It's not a jetpack or a hoverboard but... My phone and car talk to each other!
  • I felt the same way setting up the smart TV my dad bought himself for Christmas.
  • 100 miles in...

I like the car. The key fob took some getting used to. The Bluetooth connection paired up easy but I had to google for a while to find out why the phone audio was not going to the car audio system. Turns out I just needed to turn off audio streaming on my phone for that pairing.

I expect to get about 25mpg but I typically drive less than 150 miles a week and it is about what I was getting with the Neon.

I had forgotten how much better night driving is with good headlights and a seat that puts you further above the road.

The vehicle is not high performance (160hp?) but that is a plus for me. I tend to lead foot when I drive a sports car so... less speeding tickets!

Since my car is new I can't drive like a dick any more.
  • edited January 2015
    Another year, another Summernats, another really loud video of cars destroying tyres. With bonus appearance from CURUPT, the V8-powered Suzuki Mighty boy, the most adorable burnout machine in the world. Seriously, it's a set of googly eyes away from getting it's own cartoon and toy line.

Also, mild chuckles at the panelvan that nearly wipes out the official with his rear window.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I had never heard of the mightyboy before. It is absolutely adorable! With that big v8 in it, it's almost like the car is saying, "I might by tiny, but I'm a real hot rod! I am! I'm just a... a... a small El Camino! That's right! I'm just like any other ute, just smaller!"
  • edited January 2015
    Oh, I almost forgot, we also broke the record for the world's biggest burnout.

Naturally, we were also the previous record holders, but self-improvement is always nice.

I had never heard of the mightyboy before. It is absolutely adorable! With that big v8 in it, it's almost like the car is saying, "I might by tiny, but I'm a real hot rod! I am! I'm just a... a... a small El Camino! That's right! I'm just like any other ute, just smaller!"

I'm also a big fan of TOASTR.

Post edited by Churba on
  • http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/12/chevy-bolt-ev-concept/

Nice to see the lower price point but will they build a charging network like Tesla has or are they using Tesla tech and licensing access to the charging station network?
  • They're probably using the same connector available on public charging ports.
  • I've just noticed that Eaton M90 superchargers are wicked cheap from all the GM V6 engines over the years. I'm trying to figure out how I can bolt one onto my small block V8.
  • I need some help from the car enthusiasts outside the US.

I recently purchased a 2014 KIA Soul with the 18" alloy rims. These rims have a plastic centercap and five plastice spokes. They are just cosmetic and the only option for the US is grey. I recently found out that outside of the US they offer four different color options for these inserts. I am looking for the red or type D inserts for my wheels. Is anyone near a KIA dealership? Can you get me a price for these and then work out shipping them to the US?
  • edited February 2015
    Okay, by all means pay attention to HMTK's post, but I need to just quickly bring something out.

The 2017 Ford Focus RS is going to be (A) four wheel drive and (B) is basically using the same 4 cylinder engine available for the Mustang. I want to know if the mustang's 6 Cylinder can fit in the engine bay. Maybe by moving the intercooler to the hood?

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Okay, by all means pay attention to HMTK's post, but I need to just quickly bring something out.

The 2017 Ford Focus RS is going to be (A) four wheel drive and (B) is basically using the same 4 cylinder engine available for the Mustang. I want to know if the mustang's 6 Cylinder can fit in the engine bay. Maybe by moving the intercooler to the hood?

How about fitting it sideways like a Nissan Pulsar GTI-R (Nissan Pulsar with a Silvia engine shoved into it).
    HMTKSteve said:

I need some help from the car enthusiasts outside the US.

I recently purchased a 2014 KIA Soul with the 18" alloy rims. These rims have a plastic centercap and five plastice spokes. They are just cosmetic and the only option for the US is grey. I recently found out that outside of the US they offer four different color options for these inserts. I am looking for the red or type D inserts for my wheels. Is anyone near a KIA dealership? Can you get me a price for these and then work out shipping them to the US?

I seem to only see 17" rims and various hubcaps, I can't find anything in red in my city from Kia Australia in my city.

Also maybe a link of what these inserts look like? There are some crazy looking hubcaps and rims I'm seeing on my searches when I look for red ones.

• HMTKSteve said:

I need some help from the car enthusiasts outside the US.

I don't know what they look like or how they're constructed, but you might be better off getting some of that spray on vinyl. It doesn't take long to apply and looks great as long as you don't rush and pay attention while applying. Even getting professionally done chrome/paint/vinyl on rims is not very expensive.