This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Car Enthusiast Thread.

Comments

• Apreche said:

Churba said:

Holy shit.

I've never seen anything like that before. This doesn't happen with nose heavy american V8s, just never.
    Wow. My high school level of physics knowledge can not explain that. How could the downforce on such a tiny rear wing be so strong as to lift up a front engine car like that? Was there something about the aero of the front of the car? Holy shit indeed.
    It was both, that tiny rear wing looks like it has a pretty steep angle of attack. And the pictures I can find of the car don't show any aero mods other than the wing, so it would have had a standard front air dam. Drags don't usually go for a lot of downforce up front because the want to minimize aero drag and front end grip doesn't help them go faster. But what they do do that wasn't done here is they extend the air dam down as close to the road as possible to prevent air from getting under the car. This is done to reduce drag usually, but it would have also prevented this crash. This is a 3000HP car from a quick googling and that means that at the time crash he was probably going 120 MPH or faster by mid track. So no front air dam + a really solid hook off the line + a bunch of rear downforce + a ton of power trying to lift the front end + great speed = unforeseen flying issue.
  • "unforeseen flying issue"
  • That video seems like one of those viral marketing ads. Any thing to verify it?
  • Andrew said:

That video seems like one of those viral marketing ads. Any thing to verify it?

There is nothing special about that crash. Really. Cars fly over barriers all the time.

Juliane and I booked a Tesla test drive session each. Should be a lot of fun! 4 years left on our current lease, but who knows what our finances will match up with technology and pricing.
  • Rym said:

"unforeseen flying issue"

• See also:

Difference: No shaky handicam with defocus at the time of the accident and immediate cutoff. Also, this car very clearly hits a dip in the road, with a front end that is very flat/hugs the road. In the first video posted, it's a street car that's drag racing on a flat road. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's very suspicious.

• OK, now I believe.
  • Andrew said:

OK, now I believe.

So a terrible cell phone video from a different angle makes you a believer?

As Luke said, this isn't particularly remarkable, it was just unexpected for the team that built the drag car. The stock top speed of an ISF is 170MPH, so I wouldn't have paid much attention to keeping the car on the ground before that speed and clearly they didn't either.
  • Rym said:

"unforeseen flying issue"

Okay, I want to personally smack the director of that commercial across the head. You don't hire Benjamin Sisko to do your commercial and then shake the camera every damn place. You keep it on him.
  • unforeseen flying issue.

• edited March 2015
    I've decided to commit to a SCCA racing series for this summer. Gonna autocross the Mazda 2 in Street Touring FWD.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • You go, dude!
  • I've decided to commit to a SCCA racing series for this summer. Gonna autocross the Mazda 2 in Street Touring FWD.

Is there a website where we can follow your progress?
  • sK0pe said:

I've decided to commit to a SCCA racing series for this summer. Gonna autocross the Mazda 2 in Street Touring FWD.

Is there a website where we can follow your progress?
    I don't think so, I'll try to post up about it.
  • This is some rank fucking bullshit. It's practically insulting. That's not a Sandman, that's a fucking station wagon.
  • edited March 2015
    I am looking to import this from Germany.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ts58qhsse6f2d5m/AADKMnZqx_qdpvaFvTNIijzSa?dl=0

It's a 1978 Volvo TGB 11 11, the 'newer' version of the anti-tank version of the truck. In the Swedish army it would have had an anti-tank missile launder. I just plan to take it into the woods and have fun.

Selling the Toyota Tacoma and getting something like a Mazda 3 for the city, anyone have any experience with one?
    Post edited by AaronC on
  • Churba said:

This is some rank fucking bullshit. It's practically insulting. That's not a Sandman, that's a fucking station wagon.

I doubt a modern day version of the Sandman would sell or it would require too much investment for minimal profit when compared to re-branding a Commodore.
  • edited March 2015
    sK0pe said:

Churba said:

This is some rank fucking bullshit. It's practically insulting. That's not a Sandman, that's a fucking station wagon.

I doubt a modern day version of the Sandman would sell or it would require too much investment for minimal profit when compared to re-branding a Commodore.
    I know - but I'm comfortable with letting the Sandman name rest and calling this something else, as opposed to pulling it out of mothballs for a cheap marketing gimmick.
    AaronC said:

It's a 1978 Volvo TGB 11 11, the 'newer' version of the anti-tank version of the truck. In the Swedish army it would have had an anti-tank missile launder. I just plan to take it into the woods and have fun.

Nice! Looks like a blast to cruise around in, if you'll pardon the expression.

Funny coincidence - a friend of mine is a Charlie G gunner with the Swedish home guard, and volunteers at a Military vehicle museum.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • AaronC said:

Selling the Toyota Tacoma and getting something like a Mazda 3 for the city, anyone have any experience with one?

On the Mazda3, I test drove the old one and the new one when my first Mazda2 was written off. I didn't really like either, but I liked the new model more than the out going one. Ultimately I bought another Mazda2.
  • I'll be waiting to make a decision till I test drive it, but comparing the Mazda so far against the Civic and the comparable Toyota the mazda looks better. Wait and see.
  • I've driven the older civics and corolla, neither drove nearly as nice as the Mazdas. The Mazda2 is just lighter with better steering feel, very go karty.
  • I'll check it out as well. Thanks
  • Today, for Juliane's birthday, I took her carting. It was a lot of fun, for about 15 minutes. Then we started feeling sick. After a five minute break I got back on the track, but only managed one more lap before stopping, rushing outside, and vomiting into a bin.

So in total we I paid for 35 minutes each, and we used about 35 minutes in total between us. And they have full hour sessions! How does anyone find it fun for that long?

Meanwhile, I was quite impressed by how consistent my track times were when I tried to go fast. On those four laps (when Juliane and I weren't dog fighting) I did 1.21, 1,20, 1.19 and 1.18. The track record is 1.05, I was told.
  • How does anyone find it fun for that long?

We have the intestinal fortitude to not make ourselves sick. One time I karted almost 10 hours in one day, probably a total of 5 hours seat time. The next day I didn't want to get out if bed because of muscle fatigue. Most fun day of my life.
  • Yeah, the next day muscle fatigue is the worst part, if there is a bad part at all.