This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Car Enthusiast Thread.

Comments

• I think I'm going to hold off on any car purchasing decisions until Tesla releases more information about the Model 3. If I can get a decent Tesla, that compares favorably with other cars in its price range, for around $35k, I'm sold.
  • I've switched my 2 back to the stock suspension. I forgot how well sorted this suspension was. And I just got the results from the performance alignment, they were able to get -2 degrees of camber in the front. That's half a degree more than I had with the coilovers. That plus much less toe in compared to pre-alignment should mean a lot more front end grip.
  • There's a new Car V Motorbike drift battle out, with a bonus jab at Ken Block:

• "No tube chassis fake cars with all wheel drive to make things easy." Beautiful.
  • To be honest, I thought kind of the same thing about the hoonicorn - I mean, they call it a mustang, but that's horseshit. Just draping your custom tube frame with some mustang panels doesn't make it a Mustang.
  • Yeah, I thought it was stupid as well. I mean, if the only thing Mustang about it is how it's vaguely shaped, then it's about as mustang as a crap kit car.
  • What's wrong with kit cars?
  • What's wrong with kit cars?

Was rather wondering that myself. I mean, sure, if you're gonna pretend your kit-car is the real deal, you're an asshole, but that's on you, not the car.
  • edited September 2015
    Churba said:

What's wrong with kit cars?

Was rather wondering that myself. I mean, sure, if you're gonna pretend your kit-car is the real deal, you're an asshole, but that's on you, not the car.
    Exactly. A kit car that looks like a AC Cobra isn't an AC Cobra and you saying it is doesn't make it so. Just like the hoonicorn isn't a mustang no matter how much he says it is. It may have started out as one, but they cut that thing up and rejiggered it so much even Theseus wouldn't call it a Mustang.
    Nothing wrong with kit cars, they just aren't the real deal.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • But what about the kit cars that are something different entirely like the Factory 5 GTM or the Type 818.
  • edited September 2015
    Kit cars are boss, but a spade is a spade.

At the same time, there's a special place between the two realms for meticulous reproductions, rare as that is in cars I imagine. If you build a car from the ground up that is indistinguishable from the original model, using some original parts and even using maybe old tooling from the production, where can you call it an X vs a quasi-X?

in the aviation world there's things like data-plate rebuilds where the entire aircraft is essentially brand new, freshly formed fuselages, with only a few parts if any from the very original plane, and maybe only some that were from that model in general, and many parts being fabricated from scratch by custom shops. About the only thing tying it to the original fighter might be the data plate with the serial number on it. At the end of the day is it really a real P-51 Mustang or just replicas at that point?
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • I feel like I want this car as much as the upcoming Honda NSX or the Toyota GT-86 even though it's likely to be the source of much joviality.
  • It looks so angry in this picture, though you still can't take it seriously.
  • That's the angriest trout I've ever seen.
  • The front grill is the most off putting thing about it. Reminding of the Audi R8, Aston Martins and Bentley GT.
    Churba said:

That's the angriest trout I've ever seen.

If you want an emotionless trout I'm pretty sure you'll agree that this is the closest to it:
  • Robo-Trout.

Is that what Robo-Pope eats?
  • Coldguy said:

Robo-Trout.

God Dammit. I JUST got that song out of my head.
  • Coldguy said:

Robo-Trout.

God Dammit. I JUST got that song out of my head.
    Which version?
  • Well that type of suspension wouldn't sell on most sports cars because you want to have a hard suspension and feel the road under the tires.

If they could make it light weight it would be fine for family cars and what not. How would you stop your car jumping over a curb?

I personally hate very soft suspensions as it feels as if I'm not in control of the car which is doubled if the car is an automatic transmission (I'm not a fan of modern big flabby cars, they feel like I'm driving a whale).

The safety point of curbs and speed humps plus ridges in the road to indicate speed changes or veering outside of your lane would be lost.
  • The reason they didn't roll it out was because it was complex, prone to failure, heavy, and very, very expensive. It also takes a lot of power to drive - there's no small amount of force required to move suspension like that.
  • A 1600 horsepower Sandrail.

• The Aston Martin DB11 looks like a pretty iteration of the DB9 with quite an engine.
    Fastest rainbow trout you'll ever see.
  • Ok this is one sexy looking electric car

• edited November 2016
    So, after a year of collecting fuel data, I can happily report that my 1999 Mercury Sable LS is actually getting as good, if not better mileage (on average) than KBB says it should be. It's getting a few mpg less on city (~11.5 vs 17) but VASTLY better on highway (32 vs 20)!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • So, after a year of collecting fuel data, I can happily report that my 1999 Mercury Sable LS is actually getting as good, if not better mileage (on average) than KBB says it should be. It's getting a few mpg less on city (~11.5 vs 17) but VASTLY better on highway (32 vs 20)!

While I haven't recorded my fuel economy, on conversion of my rough estimates, my combined is 24 mpg on a 2005 Toyota Camry (driving across 2 freeways and lots of stop start traffic).

I'm not a fan of American cars (Ford, General Motors) for fuel economy (this is obviously a generalisation as the cars designed and built by the European branches tend to be far better in every way e.g. Ford Mondeo).
    What is supposed to be a good value in the US (excluding hybrids and electric)?
  • I think most american cars get in the high 20's, low 30's? Mine averages out around 18mpg because I do most of my driving in the city and, well, it's an big, heavy car with a big, heavy engine: 3.0 Liter V6.
  • I think most american cars get in the high 20's, low 30's? Mine averages out around 18mpg because I do most of my driving in the city and, well, it's an big, heavy car with a big, heavy engine: 3.0 Liter V6.

Oh, for some reason I just looked at the pictures on Google search and assumed it was a 4 cylinder car, my bad.