This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

Comments

• Is there a way to make the discussion API return xml for the entire discussion rather than what can be found on the last page of the discussion?
  • Sometimes, while posting on my phone, my phone thinks I'm clicking the 'full site' link when I press the 'post comment' button. How do I go back to the mobile version after this?
  • Sometimes, while posting on my phone, my phone thinks I'm clicking the 'full site' link when I press the 'post comment' button. How do I go back to the mobile version after this?
    On my iPhone, restarting Safari changes it back.
  • I want the text below large images to say "click to embiggen"
    Also, I want to be able to shrink them back down on a second click.
  • Also, I want to be able to shrink them back down on a second click.
  • Can you please move the view full site and log out links away from the post comment button on the mobile skin?

Too many times my mobile device registers a click on those links when my finger is clearly on the post comment button.
  • Can you please move the view full site and log out links away from the post comment button on the mobile skin?

Too many times my mobile device registers a click on those links when my finger is clearly on the post comment button.
    For changes to Vanilla itself, please talk to the people that actually make Vanilla. All I do is install, enable, disable, and configure plugins.

• edited December 2011
    Can you please move the view full site and log out links away from the post comment button on the mobile skin?

For changes to Vanilla itself, please talk to the people that actually make Vanilla. All I do is install, enable, disable, and configure plugins.
    I think "Did" would be a more appropriate tense than "Do."Americans, this is what taking the piss looks like.

Post edited by Churba on
    I think "Did" would be a more appropriate tense than "Do."Americans, this is what taking the piss looks like.
  • I know this may seem unnecessary to you Scott, but can you change the function of the search box up there to have it give Google Results of "frontrowcrew forum" & whatever you type in the box instead of the crap search function it currently is?

Yes, I know I can type that in the Google Search box next to my address bar, but I'm getting tired of typing "frontrowcrew forum" all the time.
  • I know this may seem unnecessary to you Scott, but can you change the function of the search box up there to have it give Google Results of "frontrowcrew forum" & whatever you type in the box instead of the crap search function it currently is?

Yes, I know I can type that in the Google Search box next to my address bar, but I'm getting tired of typing "frontrowcrew forum" all the time.
    There is a vanilla plugin that does that called Vanoogle. I tried to set it up, but it was broken. Go bother the guy who makes the extension to fix it.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/741/vanoogle

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/16647/integration

Also, instead of typing "frontrowcrew forum" you are better off typing "site:forum.frontrowcrew.com". You can also create a keyword search shortcut for that in Firefox. Then you can press something like "ctrl+l, frc yoursearch, enter"
  • If I type "Things of your day" into the search box, the ToYD thread shouldn't be the 13th result.

Could it be configured to search titles? That would solve most of the problems.
  • The lack of a title-only search is the biggest problem the forum has now. Threads that fall off the front pages effectively can't be found.
  • The lack of a title-only search is the biggest problem the forum has now. Threads that fall off the front pages effectively can't be found.
    I have this same problem. But stop complaining to me. If all you guys went to the official Vanilla forums and complained there instead of complaining to me, they would get on that shit.
  • I have this same problem. But stop complaining to me. If all you guys went to the official Vanilla forums and complained there instead of complaining to me, they would get on that shit.
    Wait, if you're having the same problem, and you're the one administrating this forum, why haven't you had a word to them?

It's just as easy for you to talk to them, and considering you'd be the one taking action on the problem, then it would be the smarter move for you to ask, rather than us asking with less information and knowledge on the specific situation, and then relaying back whatever answers we got, one would think.

• edited December 2011
    I have this same problem. But stop complaining to me. If all you guys went to the official Vanilla forums and complained there instead of complaining to me, they would get on that shit.
    Wait, if you're having the same problem, and you're the one administrating this forum, why haven't you had a word to them?

It's just as easy for you to talk to them, and considering you'd be the one taking action on the problem, then it would be the smarter move for you to ask, rather than us asking with less information and knowledge on the specific situation, and then relaying back whatever answers we got, one would think.

I've already asked. From their perspective, I'm just one user like you. If we all go, then it's more users that care about that feature.

Post edited by Apreche on
    It's just a DB query, change the column it's searching against. Less whining "it's not my thing" and more doing.
    It's just a DB query, change the column it's searching against. Less whining "it's not my thing" and more doing.
    Easy for you guys to say doing nothing but complaining. How about more doing from someone else besides me?

• Are you willing to give Super Administrator authority to people who are willing to help improve the forum?
  • I've already asked. From their perspective, I'm just one user like you. If we all go, then it's more users that care about that feature.
    Fair play - Toss us a link, and I have no doubt at least a few of us would be willing to back you up.

Easy for you guys to say doing nothing but complaining. How about more doing from someone else besides me?
    Give me admin privileges and I'll do more doing.
  • Are you willing to give Super Administrator authority to people who are willing to help improve the forum?
    Administrator won't help you. You need shell access to the server, which you aren't getting.
    I've already asked. From their perspective, I'm just one user like you. If we all go, then it's more users that care about that feature.
    Fair play - Toss us a link, and I have no doubt at least a few of us would be willing to back you up.
    I already did.

Anyone can just setup Vanilla on their own computer and code a solution and push it to Github. It's open source people.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not offering any help since I wouldn't know what I was doing.

George is offering his services, take him up on it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • If I modified the correct file and sent it to you, would you push it to the forum server?
  • If I modified the correct file and sent it to you, would you push it to the forum server?
    Send it to Vanilla and have it be an approved plugin or patch.
  • edited December 2011
    If I modified the correct file and sent it to you, would you push it to the forum server?
    So no then.

EDIT: Just to be clear, you're asking me to code a plugin to effect a one line code change.
    Post edited by George Patches on
    So no then.

EDIT: Just to be clear, you're asking me to code a plugin to effect a one line code change.
    If you want to write some hacky duct tape solution that isn't good enough to be adopted by all Vanilla forums, why is it good enough to be adopted by this forum?
    So no then.

If you want to write some hacky duct tape solution that isn't good enough to be adopted by all Vanilla forums, why is it good enough to be adopted by this forum?
    Because it's what we want. And what I'm suggesting is as hacky as tweaking the CSS file to change some colors. What are you seriously afraid of? It's not like we can't undo any changes.
    So no then.

Because it's what we want. And what I'm suggesting is as hacky as tweaking the CSS file to change some colors. What are you seriously afraid of? It's not like we can't undo any changes.
    So make those changes the right way, and submit them.
    So no then.

So make those changes the right way, and submit them.
    Because it will require 3 orders of magnitude more work to do it.