This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

Comments

• It still seems to let 3 backslashes through.
    Is that a problem?
  • edited November 2011
    The link to my profile doesn't work, for one.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited November 2011
    One thing that's annoying when looking at past forum posts is that sometimes it involves quoting of people who have since changed their usernames, hence making the discussion very difficult to parse.

I thought about it a little, but I couldn't think of a solution that doesn't require an unreasonable increase in database load.
  • I know it's not as pressing as the username fix, but is there a plugin that will allow use to highlight text before clicking quote to only quote that section of text, like we used to be able to do? It's significantly easier than editing multiple quotes down to tiny segments of text before posting.
  • edited November 2011
    I don't think there is, but you/we/I could write one.

EDIT:
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/quoteselection-plugin
    might do it, but based on what I can see there it's not quite using the correct quoting syntax and would need a little modification.
  • It'd be a neat project. What would I need to learn to code something like that? I'm working on around four papers right now, so it might be beyond my present capacity.
  • It'd be a neat project. What would I need to learn to code something like that? I'm working on around four papers right now, so it might be beyond my present capacity.
    You would need to learn PHP and also the specifics of the Garden platform Vanilla is built on.
    You would need to learn PHP and also the specifics of the Garden platform Vanilla is built on.
    JavaScript too, I think.

• I notice that you can do status updates on your profile page. Wondering if there's a way to link it to Twitter.
  • @Apreche: This will make everyone here even happier. Vanilla will most likely package another plugin that adds a small amount of buttons for posting a comment soon. This plugin is much more simpler and clean than the CLEditor. Just letting you know!
  • Scott, you should use this as your avatar. It's 20% cooler.

While the original is 20000% cooler, a picture of it is not polished looking and high res for an avatar.
    Mmm, I could fix that probably. Now if only GIMP didn't crash my Gnome and I didn't need to reboot to use Photoshop... As much as the Photoshop license costs, I should get a fucking VNC server I can photoshop on for times like this~!
  • edited November 2011
    Eh, is this good?
    Post edited by Aria on
  • edited November 2011
    It is not. This is
    (transparent background here)
    Post edited by Aria on
  • edited November 2011
    Even better.
    Edit: Improved.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • it is all fuzzy around the edges. With pixel art you have to go all the way in to a very small doc and follow the design with the pencil tool, pixel by pixel.
  • If I wanted that avatar I could have just made my screenshot blurry. The point is to make it an avatar of the cross-stitch.
  • For that to happen, Scott will have to take a hi-res picture of it. The only image I have of it has the hockey player being 90 x 90. I lost the original hi-res images when my HD died a while back.

I just thought it would be cool to have that as his avatar.
  • For that to happen, Scott will have to take a hi-res picture of it. The only image I have of it has the hockey player being 90 x 90. I lost the original hi-res images when my HD died a while back.

I just thought it would be cool to have that as his avatar.
    Oh, I will photo it when I get home, which will be late because tonight is gaming.

• Oh.. I misunderstood the problem them. Thought that was a picture of a manual
  • I miss the spell check. I am dyslexic and often misspell things because of it. Spell check was a god send.
  • I miss the spell check. I am dyslexic and often misspell things because of it. Spell check was a god send.
    If there were a good plugin for it, I would use it. In the meantime, there are tons of browser extensions and such. I think Firefox actually just does it without any extensions.
  • Which browser are you using? Anything that isn't on a phone should have one.
  • edited November 2011
    I do most of posting from my phone, till my netbook is back. Also, I was looking at the plugings they have. ? Also is there a way to change the color scheme?
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • I miss the spell check. I am dyslexic and often misspell things because of it. Spell check was a godsend.
  • Poor taste Bronz.

If you're on android, try TouchPal and turning on the prediction or auto-correct.
  • edited November 2011
    I miss the spell check. I am dyslexic and often misspell things because of it. Spell check was a god send.
    What web browser are you using that doesn't come with spell check?

edit: hurrdurr i dont know how to page
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I'm encountering a bug on the iPhone where in the mobile if you click on a thread with no new posts and start scrolling, the browser will keep snapping back to the most recent post. Anyone else having this problem?
  • I'm encountering a bug on the iPhone where in the mobile if you click on a thread with no new posts and start scrolling, the browser will keep snapping back to the most recent post. Anyone else having this problem?
    yes, I have this problem sometimes.

• I have a feeling is caused by certain items on the page still loading as you're scrolling, snapping you back for some reason. It hasn't only happened on these forums for me.
  • I have a feeling is caused by certain items on the page still loading as you're scrolling, snapping you back for some reason. It hasn't only happened on these forums for me.
    But here it happens even when the page has fully loaded.