This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

Comments

• Backslashes still need to be disallowed by the regex.
    Also, given that we have a 30 minute editing time, I think it makes sense that within that period you should also be allowed to delete the post - after all, you can remove whatever you posted anyway.
  • Email notifications come from "Support ". How about changing that to "Forum" or "Forum Bot"?
  • Email notifications come from "Support ". How about changing that to "Forum" or "Forum Bot"?
    Email is harder than you think. It's actually probably one of the hardest things there is in technology.
    Email is harder than you think. It's actually probably one of the hardest things there is in technology.
  • Is there anyway we can get previous/next page links on the top of page for threads?
  • Yes, there is definitely a way.
  • Is there anyway we can get previous/next page links on the top of page for threads?
    Scott would say "use the URL bar, just edit the link",
  • I really really really don't want to edit the theme. It's mostly because changing the theme could potentially break all kinds of other things that depend on the theme. Then the number of things I have to fix will cascade.
  • edited November 2011
    I really really really don't want to do any work. It's mostly because changing anything could potentially cause more work. Then the number of things I have to fix will cascade.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • I really really really don't want to do any work. It's mostly because changing anything could potentially cause more work. Then the number of things I have to fix will cascade.
    Eyup.

• I really really really don't want to do any work. It's mostly because changing anything could potentially cause more work. Then the number of things I have to fix will cascade.
    It's work for little tangible benefit if you consider the opportunity cost to our other projects.

• Wow that's lazy, I'm pretty sure I could do this.
  • Okay, can someone explain to me what the gig is here? Isn't the theme just some CSS and bollocks(Mostly bollocks), or is it more involved with vanilla? Or am I confusing it with another usage of the word theme?
  • How do I get to the mobile site?!
  • ...Use a mobile browser? Or fake it.
  • Sometimes while using my phone I get dumped out of mobile to the full site for a while. Eventually it puts me back to the mobile version. Is there a mobile version link on the full site?
  • Sometimes while using my phone I get dumped out of mobile to the full site for a while. Eventually it puts me back to the mobile version. Is there a mobile version link on the full site?
    There is no link. It detects what kind of browser it is via the meta-information the browser sends, and serves the appropriate stylesheet.
  • I can't get there manually? The desktop version works fine, but I'd like to try the mobile version. (I'm on a mobile browser.)
  • I can't get there manually? The desktop version works fine, but I'd like to try the mobile version. (I'm on a mobile browser.)
    User agent detection is part of Vanilla, not something I control.
  • edited November 2011
    I can't get there manually? The desktop version works fine, but I'd like to try the mobile version. (I'm on a mobile browser.)
    Spoofing the user agent would work, but I guess you wouldn't be able to do it if you're already on a mobile browser. If you want to try the mobile version on a desktop, use this.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Note to Aria: They could be doing feature detection rather than UA (since it's generally better). In which case, download either the Android of iOS emulators, which are both free.
  • The kindle fire is giving me the desktop version.
  • The kindle fire is giving me the desktop version.
    I have a Kindle Fire at work for testing. It is highly unlikely to get a mobile version on any web site because the user agent doesn't even include the word Android. It basically looks like it's a webkit browser running on OSX.
  • Funny thing, before I logged in on the kindle fire I was looking at the mobile version.
  • Is it possible to disable the popovers when viewing the mobile site?

• Huh. I don't get those.
  • Don't bookmark discussions.
  • edited December 2011
    If you have a discussion starred/bookmarked, it displays an annoying popover every time someone posts to it. On desktop this is fine, but on my phone it covers everything.

EDIT: Really, Scott? I was just wondering if it was something you could easily fix, for instance by putting something like

var userAgent = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();
    var isiPhone = (userAgent.indexOf('iphone') != -1 || userAgent.indexOf('ipad') != -1 || userAgent.indexOf('ipod') != -1) ? true : false,
    isAndroid = (userAgent.indexOf('android') != -1) ? true : false;
    if(isiPhone || isAndroid) {
    overlay.hide();
    } else {
    overlay.show();
    }
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • What if you just go to your preferences and disable all popup notifications? You won't get them on the desktop version, but maybe you won't on the mobile version either.
  • What if you just go to your preferences and disable all popup notifications? You won't get them on the desktop version, but maybe you won't on the mobile version either.
    That works.