This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

Comments

• If I modified the correct file and sent it to you, would you push it to the forum server?
    Send it to Vanilla and have it be an approved plugin or patch.
    So no then.

EDIT: Just to be clear, you're asking me to code a plugin to effect a one line code change.
    If you want to write some hacky duct tape solution that isn't good enough to be adopted by all Vanilla forums, why is it good enough to be adopted by this forum?
    Because it's what we want. And what I'm suggesting is as hacky as tweaking the CSS file to change some colors. What are you seriously afraid of? It's not like we can't undo any changes.
    So make those changes the right way, and submit them.
    Because it will require 3 orders of magnitude more work to do it.
    From you, not from Scott.

• Do it right, or don't do it at all. Not putting crappy untested code on the server. If it's not crappy and not untested, then why not submit it?
  • edited December 2011
    Scott,
    XOXO

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Man, I gonna have to setup a linux server, LAMP, a database, and my own little forum just to edit one line of code. Fuck you Scott, fuck you.
  • Man, I gonna have to setup a linux server, LAMP, a database, and my own little forum just to edit one line of code. Fuck you Scott, fuck you.
    Remember, it's all just so you would give up and not do it and Scott wouldn't have to do anything in the end.

It's a lot more than one line of code. You underestimate the scope of the task at hand.

• If I modified the correct file and sent it to you, would you push it to the forum server?
    Send it to Vanilla and have it be an approved plugin or patch.
    So no then.

EDIT: Just to be clear, you're asking me to code a plugin to effect a one line code change.
    If you want to write some hacky duct tape solution that isn't good enough to be adopted by all Vanilla forums, why is it good enough to be adopted by this forum?
    Because not all Vanilla forums are created equally?

I mean, isn't part of the appeal of OSS that you can freely modify to suit your exact needs or wants, without having to write the shit from the ground up?

Also, Scott is an epic troll:
    Easy for you guys to say doing nothing but complaining. How about more doing from someone else besides me?
    You need shell access to the server, which you aren't getting.
    To translate:

"Well if you're so smart, why don't you fix it?"
    "OK, give me the wrench and let me at it."
    "Fuck you, get your own wrench. And your own broken engine."

I love it.

It's a lot more than one line of code. You underestimate the scope of the task at hand.
    Well I'm talking about doing it my way and editing file. Once I have that done then I have to learn to code a fucking plugin. So again, fuck you mr. I-can't-edit-some-php.
  • "Well if you're so smart, why don't you fix it?"
    Too which I have now replied:

"Fuck you, I'll get my own wrench, build my own engine, break it and then fix it."
  • Remember that even if you build your own plug-in Scott still won't use it because whatever bullshit reason he comes up with.

• I mean, isn't part of the appeal of OSS that you can freely modify to suit your exact needs or wants, without having to write the shit from the ground up?
    Actually, no. Vanilla is licensed under the GPL. If you want to modify the code of Vanilla itself you are legally obligated to release your changes to the public also under the GPL if you distribute your modified software. Remember when Linksys used Linux in their routers? That's why we got the source code the WRT54G series. Those routers ran a Linux kernel that was modified by Linksys. Since they were distributing that modified software, they had to release their modified code. GPL.

Writing a plugin is something else entirely. The plugins in PHP are separate pieces of code that are not compiled into Vanilla, so they each have their own licenses as far as modifying them or redistributing them is concerned.

If you want to modify Vanilla itself, you basically have to get involved in the Vanilla developer community. At the bare minimum you need to fork it on Github and put your change out there.

Or you can write a Vanilla plugin.
  • Remember that even if you build your own plug-in Scott still won't use it because whatever bullshit reason he comes up with.
    If anyone actually writes a plugin that actually works, doesn't suck, and gets it in the Vanilla plugin directory, why wouldn't I use it?

• I mean, isn't part of the appeal of OSS that you can freely modify to suit your exact needs or wants, without having to write the shit from the ground up?
    Actually, no. Vanilla is licensed under the GPL. If you want to modify the code of Vanilla itself you are legally obligated to release your changes to the public also under the GPL if you distribute your modified software. Remember when Linksys used Linux in their routers? That's why we got the source code the WRT54G series. Those routers ran a Linux kernel that was modified by Linksys. Since they were distributing that modified software, they had to release their modified code. GPL.

Writing a plugin is something else entirely. The plugins in PHP are separate pieces of code that are not compiled into Vanilla, so they each have their own licenses as far as modifying them or redistributing them is concerned.

If you want to modify Vanilla itself, you basically have to get involved in the Vanilla developer community. At the bare minimum you need to fork it on Github and put your change out there.

Or you can edit one select statement in the code and do exactly what we want.

Or you can edit one select statement in the code and do exactly what we want.
    You guys are really good at telling people to do things and not so good at doing things.
  • You guys are really good at telling people to do things and not so good at doing things.
    "Well if you're so smart, why don't you fix it?"
  • edited December 2011
    I already did.
    Derp, Reading comprehension fail.
    You guys are really good at telling people to do things and not so good at doing things.
    Delegating work to the appropriate people is a very important skill.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • RymRym
    edited December 2011
    The real issue is that making any incremental direct change to a complex system breaks forward compatibility in unforeseen ways. We've muddled with such things before, and it's not worth the effort.

We're not running a custom Vanilla ever again. Plugins and official patches only. No items, final destination.

As for giving someone shell access, that's far, far too dangerous. Scott didn't even give ME shell access. I, who had root on the production trading system intra-day at a major equities trading company, the senior production engineer and system administrator. ;^)
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to get Scott's back for a second here (shocking right?). I did what he said and downloaded the Vanilla code. Didn't install it on anything, I don't have the time or capacity to do that at work, but just did a look through some of the search code.

In a nutshell, this is some of the most convoluted, hard-to-read code I've ever encountered. Changing the search functionality is much more than just changing one line of code (at least, on the surface). There is no "SELECT * FROM Table WHERE yadda yadda yadda..." anywhere. It's much more roundabout than that.

However, it may be a somewhat simple fix anyway. I might be wrong on this, but it looks like there are actually two search models in the base code, one of which that does the more accurate search that we remember and love. But, the code as it is by default does not use this model, it uses the more simple one that just does a broad search. It is possible that a single change to instantiate the second model instead of the first may improve it. But I don't know since I can't test it for myself currently, and even if I did, it wouldn't change anything here.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • I, who had root on the production trading system intra-day at a major equities trading company, the senior production engineer and system administrator. ;^)
    You are a glorified expert clock-setter. You aren't fooling anybody.
  • You are a glorified expert clock-setter. You aren't fooling anybody.
    Said the codemonkey while taking another dump to toss about.
  • Why doesn't the "Mark all viewed" link work correctly? If a new post is added to a thread and I click on the thread it acts as if I never marked the thread read and starts me back many posts ago.
  • Yeah, the search is absolutely terrible. I used to be able to find specific discussions a lot more easily!
  • Can someone tell me the actual command for using the spoiler tag? I've Googled it and nothing came up.
  • edited May 2012
    [ spoiler ]
    OMG BUTTSEX!
    [ /spoiler ]

(but without the spaces in front and after "spoiler" "/spoiler"
    =

OMG BUTTSEX!

You could always just quote someone who properly used the spoiler tag to figure it out. :P
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I tried doing it like an image, but it didn't work. Thanks, Ro!
  • You remember when, back in the day, Apreche would tell people to learn HTML because BBCode was shit? Now he just uses it without documenting shit on the forums.

P.S. Don't use spoilers.
    P.P.S. You're crippling new users by having to give instructions. Use entities to be clear and copy-paste friendly. [spoiler]Something like this shit.[/spoiler]
  • Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but why does the Bookmarks section only show 30 item when I have more than 30 threads bookmarked? I can't seem to find a way to view what other threads I "starred".
  • edited February 2013
    Looks like there is a default limit is 30. The my bookmarks just needs paging added to it like the main discussion topics.

list($Offset, $Limit) = OffsetLimit($Page, C('Vanilla.Discussions.PerPage', 30));

For now in the bookmarked discussions add "/p2" to the end of the url.

http://forum.frontrowcrew.com/index.php?p=/discussions/bookmarked/p2

Just keep adding p1 p2 p3 for the pages.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • So is there a maximum amount of IP/devices that can be logged in on the same account? Ever since I got my iPad mini, I get logged off of one device all the time.

Devices used:
    iPhone
    iPad
    Home PC
    HTPC
    Work PC, but I log out when I leave work