This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

Comments

• Discussion categories don't show up in the mobile version. Bug or feature?
    Feature, I believe.
  • Is there a way to search discussion titles, not comments?
  • edited October 2011
    Is there a way to search discussion titles, not comments?
    Search just be broke, yo. Going to try to replace with Google site search.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • So far, aside from the already reported crap, I'm not seeing anything that wouldn't relate to Vanilla 2's specific coding rather than our implementation of it. Looks pretty solid and quite speedy.

The draft saving is simply awesome. The limited editing time is awesome. The easier embedding of videos is quite nice.

Good job, Scott. My UAT phase is done.
  • The draft saving is simply awesome. The limited editing time is awesome retarded. The easier embedding of videos is quite nice.

Good job, Scott. My UAT phase is done.
    FTFY, but yeah, things are mostly better.

• Oh, right. Typo. Those letters are right next to each other.
  • edited October 2011
    Your forum seems easy to use. How would you guys have reacted if this forum was upgraded to a more popular forum system like MyBB and so on instead of staying with Vanilla?
    Post edited by Shadowdare on
  • Your forum seems easy to use. How would you guys have reacted if this forum was upgraded to a more popular forum system like MyBB and so on instead of staying with Vanilla?
    I'd have left.
  • I'm sure this was mentioned before (so I'm going to be a dick and mention it again), but the login page asks for "e-mail" when what it wants is your login-name.
  • I'm sure this was mentioned before (so I'm going to be a dick and mention it again), but the login page asks for "e-mail" when what it wants is your login-name.
    Both work for me.
  • edited October 2011
    I'm sure this was mentioned before (so I'm going to be a dick and mention it again), but the login page asks for "e-mail" when what it wants is your login-name.
    It seems like the Vanilla team had already rewrote that line in their latest release candidate release.
    I'd have left.
    I personally think that Vanilla is indeed very simple to use in that it is very intuitive and has a lot of social features to add to the community aspect of the forum. Other forums that most are used to, however, tend to have better categorization and big threads aren't really a big problem compared to the way they look in Vanilla. Also, many of those other forums have more useful features that even Vanilla might not handle well, but often make things a bit complicated.
  • I never even tried my login name. E-mail works for me.
  • I might have mistyped it, or the password, but e-mail did not work for me, and I tried twice before switching to my much simpler monicker.
  • Your forum seems easy to use. How would you guys have reacted if this forum was upgraded to a more popular forum system like MyBB and so on instead of staying with Vanilla?
    I'd have left.
    Me too, probably. One of the main reasons I started chatting on this forum was that another Vanilla forum switched to phpBB, the entire culture changed, and I just couldn't be bothered with it.

I love you guys, really, but if this forum becomes a pain to use, I've got better things to do with my time!

How's MyBB an upgrade over Vanilla 2?
    How's MyBB an upgrade over Vanilla 2?
    Shadowdare didn't say it was.
  • edited October 2011
    Right, Bug about the resizing input is across both the comment box and the edit box. As I said, if you make a comment longer than a certain length, the box won't resize any larger, but won't let you scroll through it properly, and as soon as you type a character, it refocuses to the middle of the comment. If you drag it to resize manually, as soon as you put a character in, it snaps back to size and refocuses in the middle of the comment, but doesn't move the cursor. Content of post seems to be irrelevant, it happens equally with long posts of numbers, letters, special characters, and any combination of the three.

Browser is firefox, latest update, not running any greasemonkey scripts besides quick imgur upload and Reddit enhancement suite, but bug still present when I turn them off. No combination of firefox plugins turned on or off makes a difference. OS is Win7, latest patches all applied. No matter what combination of currently running programs I have it doesn't affect anything, and I had oatmeal, coffee and a cigarette for breakfast. Need any more information, just ask.
    Post edited by Churba on
    I'd have left.
    Me too, probably. One of the main reasons I started chatting on this forum was that another Vanilla forum switched to phpBB, the entire culture changed, and I just couldn't be bothered with it.

I love you guys, really, but if this forum becomes a pain to use, I've got better things to do with my time!
    This is the only forum that I have kept reading, and even wanted to participate in, that I have found to date.

• Anyone know how I can disable getting a notification for every time someone posts in a thread I've created? I only can find options for disabling email notifications.
  • This is the only forum that I have kept reading, and even wanted to participate in, that I have found to date.
    And one of the reasons being because of Vanilla?
  • Anyone know how I can disable getting a notification for every time someone posts in a thread I've created? I only can find options for disabling email notifications.
    5th one down in preferences I think (Notify me when people comment on my discussions).
    5th one down in preferences I think (Notify me when people comment on my discussions).
    No, read the top. That's email notifications.
  • This is the only forum that I have kept reading, and even wanted to participate in, that I have found to date.
    And one of the reasons being because of Vanilla?
    Yeah, I was going to write that originally, but I wasn't sure whether it was Vanilla, or you people, or both.

Vanilla must play a big part, but I don't know whether correlation equals causation.
  • No, read the top. That's email notifications.
    In the latest prerelease of Vanilla, they have added a "popup" column to the right of the email notifications. We just have to wait until a stable version is is released.
  • I am curious though, is the time on the server set correctly? It's showing the posts from yesterday as being Oct 30, and it still is Oct 30 on the west coast right now. The time of recent posts is correct, but the date might not be.
    This appears to just be an intermittent thing. It usually shows the current date when I first go to the forum, but upon reloading it properly goes back to showing the time.
  • edited November 2011
    Is the link to the main page of frontrowcrew.com going to added back to the top of the page?
    I can't control where that link goes. Maybe I can try adding a link somewhere else.
    Here is a solution to getting the link to appear in whatever position you like at the top of the page.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited November 2011
    You know, speaking generally, Vanilla forums does focus on more of the social aspect of things. Many people become dissatisfied when they see forum statistics with low numbers and don't want to end up joining the forum. I find that Vanilla makes it a bit easier for forums like this one to gain members faster than with any ordinary forum you may be used to because of how the default home page layout emphasizes the latest posts and community changes instead of just categories which tend to raise the competition factor.

Anyway, I've been using Vanilla a lot in the past few months ever since version 2 came out. I've also tinkered with Vanilla a year or so ago, being that it can integrate with a blogging system during the version 1 stages. Vanilla 2 has come a long way and the developers have listened to many suggestions and implemented them accordingly. I think that the upgrade for this forum is going to do more good and it brings up a good point that some people must take time to make compromises for small issues and focus on the greater community, and that's what I hope to see continue on this forum.
  • A well managed vbulletin is extremely sweet. So far, I vastly prefer it for organized/structured communities. Vanilla I like because it's free and doesn't have as much random cruft accumulated over the years. In both cases, I hate crappy addons that everyone uses.

That said, I will be very happy when we get an extended/scaling display option. I've got a LOT of pixels to the left and right to use here.

Also this thread needs a rarity "I'm not whining, this is whining." image macro for some of this.
  • On my phone right now loving how it looks on it.
    100% with this guy right here. I've been browsing this place almost exclusively on my phone for the last two months, so this mobile view is a dream come true.
    Probably by burning Scott's apartment down, then seeding a botnet to DDoS the forums for the foreseeable future.