This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

Comments

• My only real complaint it just the way it looks but I'll get used to it. I really like the mobile version though.
  • I like how it remembers which page you were on when last reading a thread.
  • I actually quite like Vanilla 2. I admittedly used the buttons for adding images and such but that isn't such a big deal. And I agrewe
  • edited October 2011
    This might be a dumb fuckin' question, but why do they do that?
    Ask them.
    Yeah, I'm going to bother going over to their forum, registering, finding the appropriate place or post, just to find out something very specific which has absolutely no relevance to me other than idle curiosity, thus why I asked the readily available guy I assumed might know. If you don't know, then fuck it, can't be arsed. It is not something that will ever be useful to me, most likely.

EDIT - also, while correcting this post, managed to break the forum a little, threw up an error box with the following text -

{"Targets":[{"Target":"","Data":"\/index.php?p=\/vanilla\/post\/comment2\/334392","Type":"Ajax"}],"CommentID":"334392","DraftID":"","DiscussionUrl":"\/index.php?p=\/discussion\/7416\/upgrade-to-vanilla-2#Comment_334392","MyDrafts":"My Drafts","CountDrafts":0,"FormSaved":true,"DeliveryType":"VIEW","Data":"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

Also, as a side note, this comment immediately proceeded to break the comment box - on long comments, the auto-resize doesn't work right, it makes the text input an unscrollable box, and when you use the manual resize, it just snaps back to whatever wrong size it decided to use before.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You really have no idea what you are talking about.
    Oh really now? You're saying that how they use relationship attributes is proper? I think not. Intentionally disallowing certain, non-weird characters is an entire different ballgame and even more retarded.
  • Why do some threads alert me when there's a new post, and others don't? Some of the ones that don't give me an alert don't bump properly either.

Bug report that noise.
  • Everything seems WAY faster. It's so snappy! You didn't upgrade the server too, Scott, right?
  • Churba and WindUpBird, I can't help you because you aren't specific enough. This applies to all computer problems. We computer people need to know every detail. What browser, what os, what you clicked on, every letter you typed, every action you took in exactly what order. If we can't reproduce the problem we can't figure out what it is.
  • edited October 2011
    Why do some threads alert me when there's a new post, and others don't? Some of the ones that don't give me an alert don't bump properly either.
    Getting this too. I have unviewed posts in the Things of Your Day thread, but there's no yellow marker.

Post edited by Sail on
  • Oh god where the hell is the help part of the html? WHERE ARE MY ICONS?!
  • I'm getting the same thing Sail is getting, 'cept mine was the Republican thread.
  • At first I thought it was that it only shows the yellow notification if it's a thread you've posted in recently, but then I realized I've NEVER posted in Points2Shop or Movember.
  • It's going to take some getting used to, but I don't see any issues with the new stuff yet.

I am curious though, is the time on the server set correctly? It's showing the posts from yesterday as being Oct 30, and it still is Oct 30 on the west coast right now. The time of recent posts is correct, but the date might not be.
  • If Scott wants to oblige the people complaining there is a plugin called "Last Edited" which will put a small "Edited by X on Y" text to edited comments.
  • Why you no use theme I make? Sadface.
  • Why you no use theme I make? Sadface.
    It needs to be tested.
  • Test it? It's hardly any different. Can't imagine it breaking anything I wouldn't be able to fix directly after discovering.
  • The yellow box does not update to reflect a thread has been read on backspace/go back.
  • The yellow box does not update to reflect a thread has been read on backspace/go back.
    I'm not having such a problem.
  • That's because browser, not forum software.
  • That's because browser, not forum software.
    Specifically, it shows you a cached version of the webpage. On the bottom and top of every discussion there are links back, if you click those, it should pull a fresh page. Or you could just hit F5 again.
  • edited October 2011
    5 minutes is too short! Make it 10. What happens if you start editing at 4 min 50 sec. Can you still post even if it takes more than 10 seconds to type all your edit?
    Why is 5 minutes too short?
    Maybe if you they made a really long comment, or they realize they messed up an image and its not showing up or something, and they need the time to fix it? *shrug* I try to make mine perfect before submitting, however sometimes I get lazy and hit the button without checking thoroughly.

EDIT: Oh gee. I am so used to the reply box only showing up at the last page that I just replied to something way old when I thought I was at the end of the thread. >O
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • Haven't tried everything out yet, but I like it so far.
  • edited October 2011
    Churba and WindUpBird, I can't help you because you aren't specific enough.
    Sorry, I was pretty tired and didn't feel the need to go into detail. I'll post the full details ASAP after seeing if I can reproduce it.

EDIT - another weird bug with editing came up, but I'll see if that reproduces too.

Post edited by Churba on
  • The more I use the mobile version, the more I like it. I dig the non-paginated layout - browsing threads is so much simpler.
  • The more I use the mobile version, the more I like it. I dig the non-paginated layout - browsing threads is so much simpler.
    And no room for the ad sidebar on the mobile version, which was the only place I'd ever see it :P

• Discussion categories don't show up in the mobile version. Bug or feature?
  • It seems the search only searches posts that have been made since the upgrade. I have to figure out how to add the old posts to the search index.
  • It seems the search only searches posts that have been made since the upgrade. I have to figure out how to add the old posts to the search index.
    I've just been using Google to find old threads.

• Honestly, I can't see a built-in forum search being that much better than a Google Custom Search anyway, a few people (on other forums) bitching aside.