This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hipsters

Comments

• Why would anyone take off the breaks!? That's dumb and maybe dangerous.
  • edited September 2011
    Why would anyone take off the breaks!? That's dumb and maybe dangerous.
    It just means you have to build up the leg strength in order to resist the pedals and stop the bike. It's great exercise, though perhaps not as "practical" as a normal bike for simply getting from point A to point B. They're meant to be stripped-down and lightweight.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • But they aren't doing it for the leg exercise are they? *eye roll*
  • But they aren't doing it for the leg exercise are they? *eye roll*
    It's certainly debatable. But, at least on paper, it's why the stereotypical vegan, environmentally-conscious, hipstery crowd like them.
  • Why would anyone take off the breaks!? That's dumb and maybe dangerous.
    It just means you have to build up the leg strength in order to resist the pedals and stop the bike. It's great exercise, though perhaps not as "practical" as a normal bike for simply getting from point A to point B. They're meant to be stripped-down and lightweight.
    Don't forget that it is now impossible to coast or lean into corners at any meaningful angle (because you'd have to pedal through the turn, risking banging the pedal against the ground during it, and possibly wrecking as a result).

By the by, it's actually illegal in many states to ride a bike without functioning brakes.
  • edited September 2011
    no breaks.
    off the breaks!?
    brakes.
    I don't even know why that annoys me so much.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Derp now I feel dumb.
  • Was on turntable.fm, stumbled in on the Indie music room. Description read as follows, "Indie music only. NO MAINSTREAM CRAP. Popular songs will be downvoted and may result in a ban."

Yeah okay guys.
  • So if a song in there gets enough votes everyone will automatically change their vote because it was popular?
  • edited September 2011
    Two hipsters walk into a bar.

One turns to the other and says "Lets get out of here. This place is full of hipsters."

Also, for your viewing pleasure, a hipster Vietcong from Paradox. He was fighting western imperialists before it was cool.

He's still underground. In the tunnel networks.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • no breaks.
    off the breaks!?
    brakes.
    I don't even know why that annoys me so much.
  • I think I may have a graph fetish.
  • edited June 2013
    The word "hipster" most commonly describes an individual who meets the following criteria:

1) Dresses nicely, but mostly in thrifted/sale clothing. This is usually due to poverty.
    2) Is artistic, but is seeking/possesses a separate career to alleviate the aforementioned poverty.
    3) Probably rides a bike. This is mostly due to poverty: cars are fucking expensive in a city.
    4) Drinks mostly cheap beer at friends' apartments instead of drinking at bars, because bars are expensive and hipsters are poor.

Most of these things actually aren't that bad. If a dude drank cheap beer, dressed nicely, and did artsy stuff in the 50s, he was just a bohemian or a jazz musician or something similarly cool.

I posit that "hipster" is just a new word the internet uses to deride a certain type of creative person who has pretty much always existed in America.

/tedious navel-gazing by an insecure hipster
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • In New York, they often wear those clothes at significant markup and unseasonably. The best example is wearing the wool hat and sweater while biking in 90* weather. ;^)
  • Berlin is hipster central, but they fit in so well here with the rest of the city it's hard for me to notice them. I've never seen a single legitimate complaint about hipsters that doesn't come from them riding bikes or being in the gentrification demographic. But for all the hipsters who can't ride bikes properly there are many more non-hipster who are just as bad. Same with the gentrification. Along with all the hipsters are just as many young families that make rents rise and sushi places open.
  • In New York, they often wear those clothes at significant markup and unseasonably. The best example is wearing the wool hat and sweater while biking in 90* weather. ;^)
    Yo, there is a fine line between "hipster" and "trust fund hipster"; what you're describing is the latter.

I often see 30yr-old dudes in designer flannels carrying thirtyracks of PBR down my neighborhood's main street. Fuck those guys.
  • Luke, I would have considered that coffee shop in KC a hipster establishment by my standards.
  • Really, "hipster" means "young person whose self-fulfilling life decisions are threatening to those who are both old and filled with regret."
  • It's been almost 3 years, and I feel no closer to understanding "hipster."
  • Luke, I would have considered that coffee shop in KC a hipster establishment by my standards.
    And where is the criticism?

And where is the criticism?

Is there a criticism?
  • No. So I don't understand the point of your comment.
  • He probably had some pages worth of unchecked messages in this thread and is answering to something you posted a while back.
  • No. So I don't understand the point of your comment.
    I was curious if you would have classified it differently, seeing as you are more worldly.
  • There was nothing hipsterish about it as far as I could tell. It was just a nice pancake place with different styling (compared to IHOP) and nicer ingredients. If that is hipster, then the entire world outside of franchise America is hipster.
  • ...then the entire world outside of franchise America is hipster.
    Their ultimate plan! Folks, I think we are through the looking glass here!
  • Can't be bothered to read 7 pages of thread, so sorry if this is a repost:

Now, here's a challenge: find a definition of hipster that doesn't include my dad and isn't age-based. I have yet to.
  • I'd need to know more about Constantine before I could try to do that. :P