This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hipsters

Comments

• I MEAN, just look at how long it took her to open a can.
    I was thinking that the whole time. "2 minutes to open a can? How the fuck does she survive?"
  • I was thinking that the whole time. "2 minutes to open a can? How the fuck does she survive?"
    Totally! Either she has someone to usually do it for her, or whenever she's not cooking, she's opening cans for dinner.
  • I MEAN, just look at how long it took her to open a can.
    I was thinking that the whole time. "2 minutes to open a can? How the fuck does she survive?"
    She filter-feeds the zeitgeist.
  • @Joe: What in thefuckwas that?
    Can't you tell, it's obviously about how the entire world is really crappy, like being unable to open a can of spagetti o's only to realize that they have turned black. So the only thing to do is to disrepect the world by pissing and .... lady ejaculating (?) on it and rubbing it all over your shirt.

And the best part is, I'm not even an english major. I just entirely talked out my ass.
  • "Hipster" is the new "emo" in the sense that it's a term used by people who are largely unaware of its original context and instead use it with a wholly negative connotation to disparage others until the inevitable day that the over-saturation of the word causes those clinging to it to be seen as even sadder than the group they were trying to put down in the first place.
    I just wanted to ask, why does the original context matter? Emo has several different meanings, and the only time I've ever heard anyone bring up original context when having that discussion, they almost always followed it up with "and that's why X definition of emo is wrong." Just wondering, I don't mean to be rude or anything.
  • It matters because of the "using it as a wholly negative term to disparage others" part.
  • http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/interior-semiotics. It doesn't explain, really, but it's some context. I guess.
  • My uncle is huge in the Chicago art community. He probably knew about this, and I would ask him about it, but there's something kind of repellent about the idea of approaching your uncle and godfather and being like, "So I saw this video called Interior Semiotics, in which..."

On another note, I hope that girl knows a good OB-GYN.
  • I think the idea was to do something gross, weird, and pointless, then challenge the audience to find meaning in it. Like "everything is horrible, including this performance, but you fuckers are stuck in here with me so you'd better find some way to enjoy it".
  • Are we really sure those were hipsters there to take it seriously, and not just hipsters who were, as any of us would have, just gawking at the crazy lady?
  • It matters because of the "using it as a wholly negative term to disparage others" part.
    I dunno why that made it click, but it does now. Thanks.
  • Joe's video is just performance art. Performance artists do stuff like this all the time. It's not my thing, but there's tons of it out there.

I think the element of being a hipster that's annoying is invidious behavior. Not everyone can be Andy Warhol and if you try and you fail, you're a hipster.
  • According to one of the Forever(21) curators, Hiba Ali, the terms “pizza slut” and “Forever(21)” have a deliberate meaning:

Pizza slut is a classification of the the idea of in-differentiation of progress that is aging. The blatant idea that we will never have that idealized fantasy realized that no one will be forever young or 21. These processes are professed through kitsch scheme overlaid with truths and desires of the individual artists featured in this exhibition.
    What the fuck am I reading?
  • Are we really sure those were hipsters there to take it seriously, and not just hipsters who were, as any of us would have, just gawking at the crazy lady?
    That Indian guy in the background is definitely just gawking.
  • What the fuck am I reading?
    That's Weird. To the best of my knowlege, The Pizza Slut works in the Pizza truck(You know, those mobile vans that sell food? One of those) Just as a Gut slut works in a Gut Truck, a Pie Slut works in a Pie Truck. It's simple, really. Further, anyone who is a bad cook(in those vans or otherwise) Is a Tucker Fucker, Fitter and Turner(Fitting good food into pots and turning it into shit), Or a Ration Assassin.
  • What the fuck am I reading?
    A whole bunch of meaningless gibberish.
  • Hipster Hitler, Strikes Again!

• As someone who has lost good pencils, I can't laugh at that as a matter of principle.
  • I thought the Eberhard Faber Blacking 602 was the hipster pencil of choice.
  • I thought the Eberhard Faber Blacking 602 was the hipster pencil of choice.
    Pft, only if you're a Mainstream sellout.
  • Staedtler implements are awesome. I can't recommend the Lumocolor pens enough, though I like the ones supplied by Sarstedt more.
  • I'm a big fan of Staedtler's drafting and archival pens. I took notes with a .3mm Fineliner for about a year. Good stuff.
  • I think I use a Staedtler leadholder. But I'm not gonna check because I don't give a fuck.
  • edited October 2010
    Hello, my name is WindUpBird, and I bought a vibrant flannel and an argyle sweater the other day.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Last night I went to a friend's birthday party, where almost everyone was absoloutely a hipster -- ironic facial hair, tight pants, suit jackets, turquoise socks, the works. And everyone was super nice, and, aside from the way they were dressed, no one was douchey at all. Except this one girl kept taking way too long to take her turn at Scrabble.
  • edited November 2010
    @Office Supplies Geekery

I can't stand Staedtler, except erasers. I use one of them long ones, with the extendy doodad.
    For writing utensils, the Sharpie Pen is awesome. Pilot Hi-Techpoint V5 is good, but V7 bleeds through like crasy.
    Pencils, honestly I can't tell the difference between mechanical pencils (as long as they aren't plastic) - it's the leads that make a difference. For that, Papermate.

Also... Hipster thread... Office supplies.

Edit: Read back, I understand how we got here now. Conversations are weird.
    Post edited by Wolfin on
  • For writing utensils, the Sharpie Pen is awesome.
    YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES.

• Fun fact:

I also think the Professor Brothers (and Brad Neely in general) are awesome.

Also on the topic of Hipsters (obligatory related content?): My LAN/D&D; group of friends occasionally call me a hipster because I skateboard. I've mostly dismissed this as joke, but sometimes they seem serious. Maybe they've got their definition wrong? I'm generally nicely kempt, wear skate shoes for practicality (but actually tie them tight enough to stay on :0), wear jeans that fit, dislike name brands but happen to have a few as they were hand-me-downs... I'm not very creative and don't draw or make annoyingly trendy photographs of everything ever.. Yeah, they've got it wrong.